REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness

Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Athletics, Hockey, Soccer, basketball, organize games/events, aerobics, nutritional supplements. Also the home for sports and sports entertainment threads.

Old 05-28-2016, 09:57 PM   #3026
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by saiko View Post
Skates question... For those with Lightspeed Edgeholders, anyone with experience buy additional or new runners?

I have a pair of MX3, almost two years old. Was thinking of looking into new steel. Fusion Edge I saw were extremely pricey. $129?

Please share if you have experience or advice. Thanks!
just go with ls4 steel. i had fusions on my old apx2 skates, and i thought they were junk even though they were lighter. the ls4 on my 1x are much nicer albeit a bit heavier
Advertisement
True.True is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-29-2016, 06:43 AM   #3027
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
Skates question... For those with Lightspeed Edgeholders, anyone with experience buy additional or new runners?

I have a pair of MX3, almost two years old. Was thinking of looking into new steel. Fusion Edge I saw were extremely pricey. $129?

Please share if you have experience or advice. Thanks!
I'd go with LS3. Commonly used in the NHL it's tried, tested and true.

LS2 - Same profile as the Fusions you're skating on right now but at a similar price point to the LS3, I'd go for the taller steel. It's not that bad of a change to go from a 9' to 10' profile.

Fusion - Had a tendency to warp out of shape and it's expensive. Would not recommend.

LS4 - Higher polished finish and slightly more user friendly profile at the toes/heels out of the box compared to LS3. It's slightly more expensive than LS3 but initial batches that came with the 1X skate kept breaking because they were too hard and brittle.
Old 05-29-2016, 09:26 AM   #3028
easy e

Thanks True.True and mickz!! Exactly the feedback I was looking for.

Leaning towards LS3/4 depending on price and availability at local stores. Yay for JR sized skates! (6.5).

Last edited by saiko; 05-29-2016 at 09:26 AM. Reason: .
saiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 10:25 AM   #3029
they call me the snowman

Thanked 3,993 Times in 1,374 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by m3thods View Post
^Dang the 1S seems so promising too. Was it a one-off? Or have you heard of most units falling apart after heavy use?

I'm years away from replacing my C/A, but I'm likely not going to be buying anything brand new, meaning that top end units now are probably what I'm looking to snag used/on closeout in the future.

The premier pro seems a bit big for my liking. I wonder how the eflex shield ones compare.

The 1S is a really nice chestie. It's basically the last gen NXG, but with lighter materials. Once they figure out those materials, it's going to be just perfect. The arms are huge, with the CURV composite elbow floaters. Nothing was getting through my body.

Unfortunately it was coming apart in three different spots. The left shoulder floater was ripping away from the back plate. Then the neck started to wear. But the last straw for me was the elbow floaters. The CURV was covered by a thin nylon material, and everytime I made a high elbow save, the puck would rip a little of that material. Now, being nylon, once the initial rip was there, it would just spread.

I'm still in the market for a second chestie, so if I can find a Bauer NXG for cheap, I would jump on it. I liked the Bauer arms so much.

As for the Premier, I've had two games with it so far and won both. So that's a good thing. It's a really big piece of equipment, but the more time I spend with it the more mobile it becomes. Definitely not a bad purchase for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by True.True View Post
I was using a friends rbk Premier p2 or whatever but was getting frustrated with the long arms that weren't adjustable and kept sliding down my arm into blocker trapper. So I splurged on my own CA with adjustable arms. Lol. Good thing I pay nowhere near retail or else I'd cry.

They do feel a bit bulky but much more mobile than what I had used. Seems a bit short in the stomach area though. Something to consider if your torso is longer than normal
The arms are a bit of a pain for me. I sucked them up as far as I could, and changed the position of the elbow cups, and it seems to fit well now. But I don't like how the belly flap conflicts with my pants. I need to spend some time figuring that issue out.
originalhypa is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-30-2016, 11:13 AM   #3030

Quote:
Originally Posted by originalhypa View Post

As for the Premier, I've had two games with it so far and won both. So that's a good thing. It's a really big piece of equipment, but the more time I spend with it the more mobile it becomes. Definitely not a bad purchase for me.

The arms are a bit of a pain for me. I sucked them up as far as I could, and changed the position of the elbow cups, and it seems to fit well now. But I don't like how the belly flap conflicts with my pants. I need to spend some time figuring that issue out.
I actually noticed the same with belly padding. It inverts itself in my pants. I just accounted it to only ever playing goalie 5 times in my life and not being used to goalie gear..
Old 05-30-2016, 12:47 PM   #3031
they call me the snowman

Quote:
I actually noticed the same with belly padding. It inverts itself in my pants. I just accounted it to only ever playing goalie 5 times in my life and not being used to goalie gear..
lol, it's not you man.
It's the design of the chestie. I was at the hockey shop earlier to buy a bag and chatted with the guys there. One of them had a good idea, to lace the chestie on the backside so it can't be pushed inside the pants.

I'll try that tonight. It's my second league game in three nights, and my tenth ice time in the last week. Needless to say, I'm starting to feel a little fatigue.

That lightweight OD1N gear would be really nice right now.....
Old 05-30-2016, 01:02 PM   #3032
they call me the snowman

Some whoring since it's been a while for me.

Had to replace my net at the house. The boy and I just destroyed it.

I picked up a nice replacement at Canadian Tire on sale.

We have about a hundred pucks that we shoot daily out there. That tends to take it's toll on the net, the house, my wrist, etc.

Here's how my hockey room was looking before I moved a couple of pieces of equipment.

You know you're a whore when your 400 sq/ft hockey room is too full to walk around, lol.

My former 1S chestie. Too bad it fell apart, as it was a really nice piece of equipment.

and a somewhat current pic with my new G3 pads, Warrior pants, mask art, goalie coach's foot, etc.
This post thanked by:
Old 05-30-2016, 01:15 PM   #3033

I also whored a bit more recently... Ordered 1S goal stick and wife paid for my new 1X.player pants
This post thanked by:
Old 05-30-2016, 01:41 PM   #3034
I AM

Thanked 1,329 Times in 294 Posts
Quote:
Some whoring since it's been a while for me.

I picked up a nice replacement at Canadian Tire on sale.

Spoiler!

Is that the one that folds on the bottom? Does it fold on the top as well?
Groot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 02:51 PM   #3035
they call me the snowman

Quote:
I also whored a bit more recently... Ordered 1S goal stick and wife paid for my new 1X.player pants
So sick!
I love the 1s stick. Keep us updated with how it works for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groot View Post
Is that the one that folds on the bottom? Does it fold on the top as well?
The only folding that this one will do is with the side nets. They can be angled, which is good when we're practicing off wing shots.

WinnWell Proform Hockey Net with Backstop, 72 | Canadian Tire

It's a thin wall net, so pucks will leave a mark. But all we need is a year of good use out of it, then I can replace it with another one on sale.

I think I paid about $120 for this one a few weeks ago, and also used a wad of Canadian Tire bucks making it even cheaper.
Old 05-30-2016, 03:30 PM   #3036
x_x

Quote:

We have about a hundred pucks that we shoot daily out there. That tends to take it's toll on the net, the house, my wrist, etc.
What a sick setup! Nice concrete wall behind the net.

Wish i knew where you lived so i could sneak in your backyard and let a few rip
jdmhaze is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-31-2016, 08:16 AM   #3037
they call me the snowman

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmhaze View Post
Wish i knew where you lived so i could sneak in your backyard and let a few rip
hahaha!
We should have an RS hockey night out in Langley with some apres hockey beers at my place.

The weather these days is perfect for it.
Old 05-31-2016, 10:08 AM   #3038

Quote:
So sick!
I love the 1s stick. Keep us updated with how it works for you.

The only folding that this one will do is with the side nets. They can be angled, which is good when we're practicing off wing shots.

WinnWell Proform Hockey Net with Backstop, 72 | Canadian Tire

It's a thin wall net, so pucks will leave a mark. But all we need is a year of good use out of it, then I can replace it with another one on sale.

I think I paid about $120 for this one a few weeks ago, and also used a wad of Canadian Tire bucks making it even cheaper.
Go with the EZ Goal next time, the bars are much thicker and it's only marginally more expensive.
Ezgoal? Regulation Pro Steel Folding Hockey Goal System With Shooter Tutor

Another option would be the Sniper's Edge shooting tarp. I switched over to this last year and set up/take down is easier than having an actual net. You don't get the satisfaction of hearing the ping when you go bar in but the pucks won't ricochet and hit something. Hockey Shooting Tarp | SnipersEdgeHockey.com
Old 05-31-2016, 10:15 PM   #3039
x_x

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickz View Post
You don't get the satisfaction of hearing the ping when you go bar in
You can't put a price on that satisfaction.

Would love to do an RS hockey night, with all the goalies on this forum we shouldn't have any problems filling the nets up....
jdmhaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 10:02 AM   #3040
they call me the snowman

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmhaze View Post
You can't put a price on that satisfaction.
I can tell the difference between a shot that goes in, and a shot that deflects off the post/crossbar now based on the pitch of the ping. A deep sounding "bong" is going to end up popping out in the slot, whereas a high pitched "ping" probably went in. The little things you pick up as a tender are amazing.

Count me out of the net for an RS hockey night. After shooting on goalies in training for years, I have developed a snipe. When you no longer see the goalie, but instead see the holes, you know you're well on the way to being a sniper.

Also, I want to wear this my latest acquisition.

Just like Wayne!
This post thanked by:
Old 06-15-2016, 10:19 AM   #3041
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
Sometimes those EZ nets are on sale at Costco for $80.
I wanted to pick one up but the wife said no.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 09:31 AM   #3042
they call me the snowman

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumAznGuy View Post
Sometimes those EZ nets are on sale at Costco for $80.
I wanted to pick one up but the wife said no.
Better to ask for forgiveness, rather than permission.
I think Buddha said that, Probably because his wife wouldn't let him get a hockey net either.

This post thanked by:
Old 06-19-2016, 09:49 PM   #3043

Quote:
Thanks True.True and mickz!! Exactly the feedback I was looking for.

Leaning towards LS3/4 depending on price and availability at local stores. Yay for JR sized skates! (6.5).
Which steel did you go with in the end?
Old 06-20-2016, 12:42 PM   #3044
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Thanked 1,141 Times in 385 Posts
Any goalies here modify their chest protectors to offer a bit more padding, particularly in the stomach area. Felt a couple stingers lately from point blank slap shots and wondering if there is a solution without taking away from the mobility and flexibility of my Warrior G2.

Any one recommend any good goalie schools, or coaches in preferably the Tri Cities area?

Also got my first bruise through my gear lol, guess I am just glad I did have knee pads on and its just a bruise.
Spoiler!
Old 07-01-2016, 10:53 AM   #3045
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TjAlmeida View Post
Any goalies here modify their chest protectors to offer a bit more padding, particularly in the stomach area. Felt a couple stingers lately from point blank slap shots and wondering if there is a solution without taking away from the mobility and flexibility of my Warrior G2.

Any one recommend any good goalie schools, or coaches in preferably the Tri Cities area?

Also got my first bruise through my gear lol, guess I am just glad I did have knee pads on and its just a bruise.
Spoiler!
I'm an avid gear modder and can make you a new belly pad if you want. I have the spare materials on hand and the padding can be transferred to any chesty.

I've made a couple for OriginalHypa for his units!

Text me up and I'll help 7788835489

Thanks!

PS. It'll be free =D
BallPeenHammer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 10:54 AM   #3046
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Quote:
I can tell the difference between a shot that goes in, and a shot that deflects off the post/crossbar now based on the pitch of the ping. A deep sounding "bong" is going to end up popping out in the slot, whereas a high pitched "ping" probably went in. The little things you pick up as a tender are amazing.

Count me out of the net for an RS hockey night. After shooting on goalies in training for years, I have developed a snipe. When you no longer see the goalie, but instead see the holes, you know you're well on the way to being a sniper.

Also, I want to wear this my latest acquisition.

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v253/hypasteve/IMAG0079_zpskihk69zp.jpg[/
Just like Wayne!

I"LL VOLUNTEER TO PLAY GOAL!!!!
BallPeenHammer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-03-2016, 09:50 AM   #3047

Selling some brand new bauer reactor 6000 pro pads
Brand New Bauer Reactor 6000 Pro Pads 34+2
Old 07-03-2016, 11:11 AM   #3048
they call me the snowman

Quote:
Originally Posted by BallPeenHammer2 View Post

I've made a couple for OriginalHypa for his units!
I can attest to the quality of Danny's beef up attachments. I added a couple different pieces to my old Vaughn, and didn't have a single issue after that.

It's too bad that my groin let go. I've missed a quarter of my season so far, with no hope in sight.

I got new gear to try out too. A Bauer NXG chest protector, and some vintage brown reactors. Got some 1s skates on order too.
Old 07-07-2016, 06:08 PM   #3049
retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by TjAlmeida View Post

Spoiler!
Drink more beer = bigger gut. Problem solved. That's how I do it anyways haha.
Truenosan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 11:58 AM   #3050
I subscribe to Revscene

what do you guys think about the new grit bag? FLEX Hockey Tower - Grit Inc. | Canada
DA9ve is offline   Reply With Quote