REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Island Automotive Chat (https://www.revscene.net/forums/island-automotive-chat_13/)
-   -   A hit & run worth reporting? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/564572-hit-run-worth-reporting.html)

Great68 02-13-2009 03:39 PM

A hit & run worth reporting?

To continue my bad luck so far with the new car, (rock chip in window at 700km on the Odo) on Tuesday my car was backed into in my work parking lot.

The damage is very minimal, the unpainted plastic part of the front fascia has a very light scuff mark, as well as a light scratch in the paint just above the plastic part. I think the scratch in the paint can be buffed out.

I didn't even realize I was hit until I got home and started washing the car, and saw two paint chips from the other car stuck to the front of my car. He obviously got it worse than I did.

I have the whole event captured on security camera footage, as well as a snapshot of the guy's license plate.

I hate people that don't own up to their actions, and I don't want this guy making some sort of fraudulent claim in the future to get ICBC to paint his rear bumper. On the other hand, it's a huge hassle to report a hit & run, which involves a trip to ICBC, making a police report etc etc etc...

Should I do it?

BabyblooLexus 02-13-2009 04:06 PM

for sure! why pay for damage that u didnt do? as small as it may be its still money
and plus u have soooo much evidence
although ure not supposed to wash ur car when shit like this happends
they want the physical evidence

skholla 02-13-2009 05:11 PM

normally i would say no, dont bother reporting because icbc will just make you pay for the repair yourself since its lower than you deductible.

in you case i say yes, definitely report it. you have evidence so you wont pay for a dime or the repair and this way mr. hit-and-run-jerk-off doesnt get away without paying.

Black SC2 02-13-2009 05:43 PM

I'd say it's worth the effort. This is exactly what ICBC should be taking care of. As mentioned , with the evidence you've got, you're in the clear I would think. Do the tapes show the other guy's plate number?

Great68 02-13-2009 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Black SC2 (Post 6279644)
Do the tapes show the other guy's plate number?

Yeah, we have a camera that takes a close up of the license plate of every car that drives into our lot.

http://www3.telus.net/bryster/%5bch0...009_160711.jpg

jigga250 02-13-2009 06:40 PM

PLEASE report this fucker for hit and run, for the sake of those of us who have been hit in parking lots without being lucky enough to have a closeup of the license plate (or even a CLUE as to who the bastard was).

I've been hit twice in the past few years and between the two it cost me like $800.

tamazoid 02-13-2009 08:42 PM

I say it's worth it! just call the Dial-A-Claim center, and they should be able to take car of you...

rental_metard 02-13-2009 09:04 PM

absolutely, if i was in your shoes I would do it

Elevorett 02-14-2009 07:36 AM

balls to the wall man. Make it happen.

stevo911_ 02-14-2009 04:43 PM

i'd do it, maybe sir douchenuts will decide to leave a note next time?

whtazn 02-14-2009 07:50 PM

take the basturd down and enjoy doing it

Gigarange 02-15-2009 01:04 AM

I just had the same thing happen, I have a good sized dent in my drivers rear door from someone obviously slamming there door into mine. No note, nothing, and they left there car parked there for almost 8 hrs without doing anything about it.

I too have everything on Video showing that car to be the only one parked next to mine all day and my wife leaving before the other car did.

I reported it to ICBC, they have not required a police report at this point. I have an appointment for this week comming up to have it looked at, shouldn't take too long. If they other person denies it I have a copy of the video.

In your case I would especially report it due to the fact that they were actually driving when this happened.

IT IS A CRIMINAL OFFENCE to leave the scene of an accident, which the person who hit your car did.

slammedcivicsi 02-15-2009 07:19 AM

unless you can prove accountability for the damage, ICBC will still treat this as a hit and run, and you will be resposible for your deductable. It will also be added onto your vehicle history as an accident.

Regardless, I would still report it to the police, and ICBC, with the licence plate number, providing you are sure you know which car it is. He still broke the law by leaving the scene of an accident.

BTW, where do you work that you need to take photos of everyones license plates.?

Benny95TA 02-15-2009 12:53 PM

If he can prove who did it, he won't have to pay the deductable. I went through a similar situation 3.5 years ago.

My advice: Contact ICBC and stick it to the asshole.

Elevorett 02-16-2009 09:14 AM

As Benny mentioned, if the responsible party is held accountable, the accident is no longer treated as a hit and run. Even if the at fault party is not found, you pay your deductible, but your discount will not be affected.

NashMan 02-16-2009 09:54 AM

do it i be so much fun

buddie who ran get nasty fine for it too

oldskoolz24 02-16-2009 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jigga250 (Post 6279699)
PLEASE report this fucker for hit and run, for the sake of those of us who have been hit in parking lots without being lucky enough to have a closeup of the license plate (or even a CLUE as to who the bastard was).

I've been hit twice in the past few years and between the two it cost me like $800.

My feelings exactly. People that do this need to pay for their mistakes.

Great68 02-17-2009 03:27 PM

We'll see what the investigators say on Monday. The video is pretty clear, I can't see them denying the other car hit me.

JesseVic 02-17-2009 03:51 PM

Yeah do it for sure. I have numerous mystery dents in my truck with ~8500km's on the ODO and I know none of them are from me. I dont really care because it is a truck, but if someone was a jackass and didnt own up, they deserve to pay for it. On the other hand, if someone hits me and is nice about it and offers to pay, I would consider letting it slide if its minor.

mspeedP5 02-19-2009 06:46 PM

Do it.