REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   HealthCare & Wellness (https://www.revscene.net/forums/healthcare-wellness_269/)
-   -   sleeping position (https://www.revscene.net/forums/564768-sleeping-position.html)

TOPEC 02-15-2009 02:24 PM

sleeping position

is it true that, sleeping on ur stomach puts more stress on ur heart? or is it another one of those chinese family myths?!
i can SOMEWHAT see how this is true, but i also dont really believe it.

oh and also just curious what position do u guys like sleeping? i find myself always always try and sleep on my stomach.

SoulCrusher 02-15-2009 03:45 PM

doggystyle

LemonH2O 02-15-2009 08:33 PM

Always need to fall alseep on my side, always wake up on my back. I find sleeping on my stomach hurts my neck, its always gotta be on one side to breathe.

triplexcel 02-15-2009 10:04 PM

i can never sleep on my back unless i'm dead tired, i usually sleep on my side or stomach...

Armind 02-16-2009 12:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PrincessPeiPei (Post 6282537)
Always need to fall alseep on my side, always wake up on my back. I find sleeping on my stomach hurts my neck, its always gotta be on one side to breathe.

x2

muteki 02-16-2009 12:45 AM

I can't seem to sleep on my stomach or back =SPreferably right-side.

Alphamale 02-16-2009 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RX_Renesis (Post 6281993)
is it true that, sleeping on ur stomach puts more stress on ur heart? or is it another one of those chinese family myths?!
i can SOMEWHAT see how this is true, but i also dont really believe it.

oh and also just curious what position do u guys like sleeping? i find myself always always try and sleep on my stomach.

IIRC, running puts a lot of stress on your heart, too. Maybe you should stop running...or walking.

XtC_13aBy 02-16-2009 10:31 AM

All I know is that sleeping on your stomach puts strain on your back and puts pressure on the shoulders and hips, but I never heard of it affecting the heart. Sleeping on your side would actually be worse on the heart since it impairs blood circulation and raises blood pressure.

RRxtar 02-25-2009 02:03 PM

i like to sleep on my back without a pillow

but i usually have to be on my side to fall asleep

if i sleep too much on my side, my shoulder hurts like hell in the morning.

Ikkaku 02-25-2009 02:28 PM

I like having a bigger/more firm pillow under my neck... I used to use those asian log shaped pillows.

I can't ever sleep on those really weak hotel pillows, or i'd need like 4.

sleeping on my stomach = waking up to a puddle of drool

twitchyzero 02-27-2009 11:55 AM

not sure but i know that
pregnant women can't sleep on their back b/c it puts pressure on their spine...nor can they sleep on their right side cause it puts pressure on the liver

AsBannedAsItGets 02-27-2009 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by triplexcel (Post 6282711)
i can never sleep on my back unless i'm dead tired, i usually sleep on my side or stomach...

QFT!!!!!!!!!!

Edison_Chen 02-27-2009 11:04 PM

I sleep on my stomach, while I rest the side of my face on my pillow....

Chris_RB 03-13-2009 10:56 PM

Sleeping on your stomach isn't bad for your heart. However, it is the worst position you can sleep in. Sleeping prone (on your back) is the best so long as you have a decent bed, and a good pillow. Side laying is second best with the same condition as above. These positions allow your spine to be in a natural position and there is less strain on muscles. Sleeping flat on your stomach with your head to the side puts a lot of strain on your upper spine and neck muscles. There are position on your stomach which would prevent this such as having one leg bent, and laying slightly to the one side.

Everyone has different preferred positions, but to answer the OP's question, I don't see how sleeping on your stomach is bad for your heart. It's much worse for your spine. If your upper spine is out of whack, specifically your top spinal bone (Atlas), your whole body can be affected. It can cause headaches, sore neck, sore upper or lower back, and one leg can also be shorter than the other which can cause leg pain, feet pain, and lower back pain. There is a whole chiropractic technique which deals with this ideology called NUCCA. My dad is a carpenter with a bad neck and swears by it...

I think technically sleeping on your right side is easiest for your heart because of gravity. Not to say sleeping any other way is bad...your heart will function the same either way and if cardiac output is effected by how you sleep, you have bigger issues ...