REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Suspension, Brakes , Wheels & Tires Tech (https://www.revscene.net/forums/suspension-brakes-wheels-tires-tech_191/)
-   -   new brake pads squeaking (https://www.revscene.net/forums/564929-new-brake-pads-squeaking.html)

hi-revs 02-16-2009 05:52 PM

new brake pads squeaking

ive recently changed all my brake pads to EBC Green Stuff about less than 500km's ago, and for some reason, my rears tend to squeak when im coming to a stop rolling at about 10km/hr.

I just replaced pads without rotors since the rotors were still in good shape. I just sanded them down.

any ideas??

godwin 02-16-2009 08:35 PM

It depends on what model of the car.. In general it is caused by high hz vibration.

What you need to do is to take your brakes apart again. Thow everything in a ultrasonic washer.. clean and use some brake anti squel compound or lube and apply liberally on contact surfaces between the brake pad and the caliper.. Permatex makes the one below.

http://www.permatex.com/images/Displ...4125.24124.jpg

Failing that, you could have screwed up when you do your bed in.

Did you run a dial on the rotor before and after you sand the rotors?

sil_fourty 02-17-2009 11:13 PM

Orrrrrrr theyre an aftermarket brake pad manufacturer and the harder compound is prone to squeaking as most aftermarket brake pads do.

hi-revs 02-18-2009 07:15 PM

i believe ive put them in properly since i use to work as a mechanic and have done brakes numerous times before.
I just dont know what it can be. They were defiantly beded in properly.

No squeaking whatsoever at high speeds. Just at rolling speeds.

And its an s2000 if it makes any difference.

Mugen EvOlutioN 02-19-2009 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hi-revs (Post 6288470)
i believe ive put them in properly since i use to work as a mechanic and have done brakes numerous times before.
I just dont know what it can be. They were defiantly beded in properly.

No squeaking whatsoever at high speeds. Just at rolling speeds.

And its an s2000 if it makes any difference.

i have the same problem with my car

i give up, HAWKS HPS

high speed doesnt squeak, everyday driving oh dear..

sil_fourty 02-19-2009 04:42 PM

Like I said before, its the compound of the brake pads. Aftermarket brake pads sacrifice noise and driveabilty for performance or cost.

On the website for the green stuff pads, it indicates that they are designed for "spirited" use, and like I mentioned: trade off between noise/life for performance.

Hawks pads are the same.

hi-revs 02-19-2009 05:20 PM

but mine only squeaks in the rear.
and from what i can hear, they pretty much alter squeaking between the right and left, lol.
drives me nuts. While the fronts are perfectly quiet.

Puck Luck 02-19-2009 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sil_fourty (Post 6287045)
Orrrrrrr theyre an aftermarket brake pad manufacturer and the harder compound is prone to squeaking as most aftermarket brake pads do.

Bingo! I would stick with genuine pads

hjyuun 03-30-2009 01:13 PM

I have same problem. I have 2004 Acura TSX. No squeak until I slow down to 20 km/h to 30 km/h. I am sure squeak is coming from the rear left and right side. I changed brake pad, but no success, still squeak. Now, I am thinking abour changing rear rotors, with brake lubricant. hope this works

hjyuun 03-30-2009 01:19 PM

Also, after I brake hard for serveral stops, until brake pads gets hot, then, there is no squeak whatsoever. Very strange. I am planning to change bleeding brake fluid and replacing rotors.

bcrdukes 03-30-2009 02:09 PM

^
Not strange. This could be very well normal for your brake pads.

Lomac 03-30-2009 06:31 PM

What kind of pads did you get installed? Certain harder semi-metallic pads can squeal because of the higher metal content contained within the pad itself. It's a not-uncommon issue, particularly on newer Honda and Toyota's with OEM pads. Various aftermarket brand pads have the same problem.

Also, did you use any brake compound on the back of the pad before installing them? If not, the slight amount of movement that's often in there is enough to cause your brakes to start squealing.

mx555 03-30-2009 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mugen EvOlutioN (Post 6289843)
i have the same problem with my car

i give up, HAWKS HPS

high speed doesnt squeak, everyday driving oh dear..

i put HPS's on all 4 corners recently, probably ~100km
they don't squeak at all, high speed or low speed. =\

where are u putting the anti-squeal?
is there any hardware missing (the metal clips that hold the pads in on the caliper brackets, top and bottom)