REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Auto Chat (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-auto-chat_173/)
-   -   provincial inspections shops (https://www.revscene.net/forums/565618-provincial-inspections-shops.html)

dim_sum 02-22-2009 02:50 PM

provincial inspections shops

for all you guys that imported your cars, where did you have your provincial inspection done? are there any places other than crappy tire?

Lomac 02-22-2009 02:52 PM

I believe CT is the only place you can have it done.

GordonTse 02-22-2009 03:01 PM

CT is not bad. i went there for my inspection..

pingu81 02-22-2009 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lomac (Post 6294594)
I believe CT is the only place you can have it done.

Wrong. That's for the Federal. For the Provincial, there's tons of places you can go to. The list should be available in a PDF on the BC website.

ericthehalfbee 02-22-2009 09:17 PM

I would never let CT do the provincial. Find a good shop to do the provincial and if anything needs to be done (like DRL's) have them do it instead.

Go to CT for the federal, once a reputable shop has checked the car out and passed the provincial.

Lomac 02-22-2009 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pingu81 (Post 6295107)
Wrong. That's for the Federal. For the Provincial, there's tons of places you can go to. The list should be available in a PDF on the BC website.

Crap, you're right. Wasn't paying attention when I read the OP. :(

dim_sum 02-23-2009 01:04 PM

thanks! didn't know they had a list of shops. outta the two inspections, which one is harder? provincial or federal? the federal was done for me already so i don't know what it was like. For the provincial one, CT seemed pretty picky about body damges. I have a small crack on teh front windsheild and was wondering if that will stop me from passing??

dim_sum 02-23-2009 01:19 PM

just did some research and found out that the BC provincial standard is pretty anal. They can fail you for a ripped seat :S now i'm wondering if anybody knows of a shop that will take it easy on you knowing that your car is more than 15 years old haha

GordonTse 02-23-2009 05:47 PM

^ nothing money can't do.

dim_sum 02-23-2009 06:28 PM

^ pretty sure even money won't talk at places like CT.

Klobbersaurus 02-23-2009 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dim_sum (Post 6296476)
just did some research and found out that the BC provincial standard is pretty anal. They can fail you for a ripped seat :S now i'm wondering if anybody knows of a shop that will take it easy on you knowing that your car is more than 15 years old haha

a ripped seat will fail you, but if you put a seat cover on it, you will pass

i know some places charge different amounts for inspection but for a $40 inspection, you'll get a pass after they hand you a $800 repair bill

dim_sum 02-23-2009 08:43 PM

that is exactly what i don't want. they can nit-pick the shit outta you. which shop would you recommend?

knockoff 02-23-2009 09:28 PM

i took my rhd vehicle to mf tech on marine behind canadian tire. they were great, i'd reccomend them.

plus, they are a revscene sponsor.

http://www.revscene.net/forums/mfrt-...n-t562739.html

knockoff 02-23-2009 09:30 PM

http://www.revscene.net/forums/mfrt-...n-t562739.html

ericthehalfbee 02-24-2009 05:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dim_sum (Post 6297237)
that is exactly what i don't want. they can nit-pick the shit outta you. which shop would you recommend?

They have rules to follow for inspections. If they tell you something has failed ask to see the regulation which states that it fails.

They can't simply make up a list of stuff and tell you to fix it (unless they think you're stupid and try to screw you).

For example, if they say your brakes are worn out, then ask to see what the measurements for your car are and to compare them to the standards.

All inspection shops have a copy of the regulations.

dah_hunter 02-24-2009 12:15 PM

MF TECH is the place to go..

I bring cars there all the time.

good guys..

dim_sum 03-02-2009 05:04 PM

any other shops out there? how much does mf charge? maybe my brother heard wrong but he told me 200 :S

tonyvu 03-02-2009 06:41 PM

i used to work for CT.... its not bad, but it wouldn't be my first choice....

604rasa 03-03-2009 08:07 AM

honestly NEVER bring your car to a CT garage for Any inspection (provincial or pre-purchase) or any repairs! they will always say this part is loose, this is bad etc.... trying to milk you as far as they can before to the point where they start ripping you off and it has nothing to do with the complaint you had (my dad got ripped off 1200$. for a simple brake job , my dad was complaining of a squeel that suddenly happened brakes was done about 3 years ago. also my dad knows nothing about cars since he is 65 years old heard the squeel and panicked and went to the closes garage in the neighbourhood which happened to be a crappy tire.. after the initial free brake check they told him he needed calipers, rotors, pads, and master cylinder plus a brake fluid flush on a 2001 nissian maxima and my dad agreed cuz the front counter sales guy said this is a proper way to fix the brakes..). after when i came home from my business trip, found the bill sitting on the table and i asked my dad wth... and he explained right away i went back to crappy tires and complained and the manager just said i'll give you a free oil change.. i dont want a free oil change i want an explanation for ripping off my elderly father. and before this incident my own bad experience i had was i imported a 2008 Lexus iS F from the USA (before it was cheaper since it was 1$USD = 1$CND), i went online to icbc/canada transportation government website and read up on the inspection regulation and requirements.. ok i was nail for failure on the inspection because my tires front pair dont match the back pair. but on the icbc / can transport website said its fine if the both pair matched side to side . front to rear dont have to match. so they failed me and tried to con me into buying tires that i dont need. and on the way up from portland, a rock chipped my windsheild (just a small chip not a crack) they also failed me on that too but the canada transport website says the CRACK must be larger than 3" for a fail and mentions nothing for a chip. so i got really pissed off now since CT failed me i had to repair all what they failed me on before going back and they will pass me they also nailed me on many other stuff... what a bunch of crooks never trust CT's techs or front desk personel.. all full of lying crap!

taylor192 03-03-2009 08:34 AM

I mistakenly took mine to CT cause I didn't think I could fail since my car is lightly modified (all show, no go)... wow was I wrong.

Have contacted MF tech, hopefully they can help me out.

604rasa 03-03-2009 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by taylor192 (Post 6309778)
I mistakenly took mine to CT cause I didn't think I could fail since my car is lightly modified (all show, no go)... wow was I wrong.

they failed the car so they can do the uneccessary repairs and milk the money outta the owner because its NEEDED to be done now to pass the inspection there is no way around it..i heard so many problems with CT and iam suprised the government has not pulled their buisness / inspecting license yet.

wacko604 03-03-2009 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by taylor192 (Post 6309778)

What car do you have and what did they fail if for?