REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Auto Chat (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-auto-chat_173/)
-   -   Genesis Coupe may not be so great after all? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/565961-genesis-coupe-may-not-so-great-after-all.html)

Timpo 02-25-2009 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LowTEC (Post 6300871)
True that, a Ferrari F430 and Vette ZR-1 still gets my vote :rolleyes:

His point was that the Genesis is still a Hyundai.

I agree with the F430 because it's a Ferrari, but the ZR-1 is still a...

LowTEC 02-25-2009 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Timpo (Post 6300898)
His point was that the Genesis is still a Hyundai.

I agree with the F430 because it's a Ferrari, but the ZR-1 is still a...

Oh real-fucking-ly? No. Seriously. I never fucking get it, Timpo :eek:

toyota86 02-25-2009 05:30 PM

as a stock car its pretty weak. it might be a good base to build on as its fr, 6spd, lsd, brembo and has a sports coupe body. but, thats something you do after warranty is over and its been depreciated enough that complete running cars can be picked up for cheap. first thing i checked out on the car was how big the engine bay was. its huge. 1j, 2j, rb26, ls7, 3 rotor, ls7, etc all will fit with no problems. its got tuning potential. but really, would you buy a brand new 2.0t and swap the engine out and pretty much make warranty non-existent? unless you are super bored or super rich, who back in the day would swap a sr20 in a brand new 240sx? the car cant just be a blank canvas. it has to be able to be fun and perform when stock as well as responding well to modded.

cococly 02-25-2009 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by too_slow (Post 6300325)
Err.. Having owned a few Subaru's in the family.. They're definately very reliable and durable, but they aren't great quality.. Let's not even throw depreciation into the formula.

Have you guys try closing a door on a new 2009 Impreza??:eek:

Impressions from my female friend at the chicago auto show when she slammed the door to a WRX : "shit, did i just break something???"

Yes, I realized that when I went to my dealer for an oil-change. My salesperson was so kind that he let me "Test drive" a 08 STI and a WRX265 Sedan while changing the Oil on my car.

He was encouraging me to trade in my 08. lol.

I also thought there's some problems with the driver door on the 09 WRX265 ( my 08 doesn't have this problem ) The sound is like a "clink", not a "slap"

The tester had 40km on it and there's a terrible engine KNOCKING noise when I slowly rolled out of their lot and into the road.

Euro7r 02-25-2009 06:32 PM

Screw the argument of how fast a car is or not and how many seconds it takes to hit from 0-60. This is vancouver, worst traffic ever. People drive 40 in 50 zones. So, it doesn't really matter if your car is 300hp or not, it's not like you can really find road here you can test out the power.

Corey Darling 02-25-2009 06:51 PM

I stopped by the Hyundai dealership in Duncan the other day, they had a few on the lot.

I was pretty impressed by the overall appearance and quality of the interior. Would love to test one out.

threezero 02-25-2009 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dvxo (Post 6301056)
Screw the argument of how fast a car is or not and how many seconds it takes to hit from 0-60. This is vancouver, worst traffic ever. People drive 40 in 50 zones. So, it doesn't really matter if your car is 300hp or not, it's not like you can really find road here you can test out the power.

lol at worst traffic.

Vancouver's traffic is not that bad compare to say most major american cities and Asia

DragonChi 02-25-2009 07:31 PM

i've just realized that timpo is a car racist...

it's all a cars badge not what it's all about.

Great68 02-25-2009 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by toyota86 (Post 6300933)
as a stock car its pretty weak. it might be a good base to build on as its fr, 6spd, lsd, brembo and has a sports coupe body. but, thats something you do after warranty is over and its been depreciated enough that complete running cars can be picked up for cheap. first thing i checked out on the car was how big the engine bay was. its huge. 1j, 2j, rb26, ls7, 3 rotor, ls7, etc all will fit with no problems. its got tuning potential. but really, would you buy a brand new 2.0t and swap the engine out and pretty much make warranty non-existent? unless you are super bored or super rich, who back in the day would swap a sr20 in a brand new 240sx? the car cant just be a blank canvas. it has to be able to be fun and perform when stock as well as responding well to modded.

Good point. What's the point in raving about Hyundai warranty when what most people want to do with the car is going to void the warranty anyways?
And once you start cracking into a car, swapping stuff out etc., the reliability starts going down the shitter.

threezero 02-25-2009 09:39 PM

i'm looking forward to its cheap resell value.

Timpo 02-25-2009 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dvxo (Post 6301056)

I think the performance does matter even if you have nowhere to attempt anything.

People who drive Ferrari and Lamborghini are feeling cool that they're driving such fast cars. Even tho they don't actually drive fast to show off.

Here is the good example, the Mitsuoka Orochi is known as the Japanese exotic supercar, if you compare the Orochi side-by-side with Lamborghini it actually looks like it's in the same class. However the Orochi is powered by Toyota's V6 engine with auto tranny...because it's an exotic car for people who live in the city and don't need to go fast. Not to mention it's very slow.

The Orochi got no respect because of this reason. If it was powered by better engine, it would've been good. Also it's not about branding thing, if Ferrari made the Orochi, people who say the same thing.

Timpo 02-25-2009 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DragonChi (Post 6301178)
i've just realized that timpo is a car racist...

it's all a cars badge not what it's all about.

how am I being a car racist? If genesis had a Toyota or Chevy badge I would still say the same thing.

abinga 02-25-2009 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Timpo (Post 6301503)
how am I being a car racist? If genesis had a Toyota or Chevy badge I would still say the same thing.

And we would still call you a car racist.

skyxx 02-25-2009 11:31 PM

I just realized that I'm on the Internet...lol. Cause only people on the internet call people Car racist lol.

LowTEC 02-26-2009 01:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Timpo (Post 6301494)
I think the performance does matter even if you have nowhere to attempt anything.

People who drive Ferrari and Lamborghini are feeling cool that they're driving such fast cars. Even tho they don't actually drive fast to show off.

Here is the good example, the Mitsuoka Orochi is known as the Japanese exotic supercar, if you compare the Orochi side-by-side with Lamborghini it actually looks like it's in the same class. However the Orochi is powered by Toyota's V6 engine with auto tranny...because it's an exotic car for people who live in the city and don't need to go fast. Not to mention it's very slow.

The Orochi got no respect because of this reason. If it was powered by better engine, it would've been good. Also it's not about branding thing, if Ferrari made the Orochi, people who say the same thing.

Supercar my ass, which part of that ugly POS shout " exotic supercar", and it's the same class as a Lamborghini? You actually want us to buy into that shit? it's like telling us all you are not a retarded.....

chun 02-26-2009 11:03 AM

NOTHING from Mitsuoka will ever be in the same class as a Lamborghini. WOW.

Timpo 02-26-2009 01:23 PM

ok looks like the Genesis Coupe can go 0-60mph in "under six seconds" as claimed by Hyundai.

Car and Driver got 5.7 seconds
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/..._test/(page)/1

then again, they got 4.8 seconds for thr 370Z.

03aspec 02-26-2009 01:54 PM

who cares, the gt-r can own it. nothing else matters

Timpo 02-26-2009 03:10 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AX-wgjIqyB8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8Po7XrQYIE

Price:
370Z-$29,930(This is the base model starting price)
Genesis V6 model-price range $27,000 to $29,000
-edit- ok apparently there is a basic $25k model as well.

0-60mph:
370Z-5.1 seconds ( 4.9 sec with 1 foot roll out)
Genesis-6.4 seconds (6.1 sec with 1 foot roll out)

1/4 mile:
370Z-13.4 seconds@105.0mph
Genesis-14.5 seconds@97.9mph

Slalom:
370Z-68.9mph
Genesis-68.2mph

Braking distance from 60mph:
370Z-101 feet
Genesis-111 feet

so yeah, for only like few thousand $ difference, I think the 370Z is better deal.

Mugen EvOlutioN 02-26-2009 03:58 PM

LOL that is FUCKING slow for a 306hp car

0-60mph and 1/4mile

1990TSI 02-26-2009 06:20 PM

I'm gonna agree with timpownd on one thing here.

v6 to v6 The 370z is a better performer for not much more money. I personally like the genesis coupes look better than the 370z, but the nissan is a better buy.

The big difference is that you can't buy a turbo 4cyl 370z for $24,500.... that handles like a $40k 370z.

Am I making sense?

Great68 02-26-2009 06:23 PM

The V6 sounds pretty good!

Leopold Stotch 02-26-2009 08:57 PM

lol Edmunds.

if you go for the track version you get ....... a Front Strut Tower Brace,... WOW!

and i agree the V6 sounds good.

ts604 03-12-2009 02:46 PM

ok could somebody please go to a hyundai dealership, open the hood, and look at the size of the components, then look at the room in the engine bay...hyundai has designed the genesis coupe to be a TUNER car, for the average idiot driver, it has more than enough power, easy to drive, etc. but the opportunity for modifications and upgrades are just endless and pretty much planned to happen if your into performance. and for something stock in wich you can fully turn off the traction control, it peels off and puts you in your seat pretty nicely, not to mention one of the best looking coupe's out on the market today, you cant even compare it to a civic si, there's no design whatsoever to them.

hk20000 03-12-2009 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Timpo (Post 6302543)
so yeah, for only like few thousand $ difference, I think the 370Z is better deal.

LOL a few THOUSANDS.... :thumbsup: You just proved yourself to be such a Timpo. There are no longer words to describe you you are just Timpo.:haha: