REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Island Automotive Chat (https://www.revscene.net/forums/island-automotive-chat_13/)
-   -   Alignment shop for aftermarket/specialty applications? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/566025-alignment-shop-aftermarket-specialty-applications.html)

mspeedP5 02-25-2009 04:19 PM

Alignment shop for aftermarket/specialty applications?

I would like to know if anyone can recommend a shop that will do height adjustment and alignment work on cars with aftermarket suspension that require non-factory specs. I want to have my car done with the race tires/rims installed. Nanaimo area is best for me but if it is necessary to drive to Vic, so be it. I also want to be allowed in the shop while the work is being done.;)

Super Dipper 02-25-2009 07:32 PM

simoes automotive. talk to jason or norb, dont know if they will allow you in the shop though.

they setup our cars every time for race events without issue

mspeedP5 02-26-2009 08:09 PM

Thanks Jas! :thumbsup:

Fleemer 02-26-2009 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Super Dipper (Post 6301180)
simoes automotive. talk to jason or norb, dont know if they will allow you in the shop though.

they setup our cars every time for race events without issue

i've actually been referred there aswell, i hear good things ^_^

apparently they go the extra mile to do it right, instead of setting toe and away you go ;P

Super Dipper 02-26-2009 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fleemer (Post 6303251)
i've actually been referred there aswell, i hear good things ^_^

apparently they go the extra mile to do it right, instead of setting toe and away you go ;P

like i said, if you know what you are talking about, you give them your specs and they will dial it in the way you want.

If you arent sure about the specs but have an idea of how/what you want, they will dial it in and work with you.

if you are me, i drop the car off, tell them i what im gonna be doing that weekend and i come back at the end of the day and as long i dont have a broken axle stub, im golden....(inside joke). ;)

jonkou888 02-27-2009 12:03 AM

not in nanaimo much but in victoria i think tires unlimited is pretty good for alignment.

Super Dipper 02-27-2009 01:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonkou888 (Post 6303560)
not in nanaimo much but in victoria i think tires unlimited is pretty good for alignment. i wouldn't recommend fountain tire in victoria though. good luck with that!

you have established your discontent for that particular shop. leave it in that thread.

dustinb 02-27-2009 06:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Super Dipper (Post 6303663)
you have established your discontent for that particular shop. leave it in that thread.

I think it was Fountain tire he didn't like.

+1 for Simoes for alignments. +1 for Tires Unlimited for just randomly driving in whenever you want and getting them to mount tires for a good price.

projectcivic 02-27-2009 07:00 AM

^^^ Jas qouted the original post. read that... Either way, other thread

oldskoolz24 02-27-2009 07:22 AM

I have always had my car setup for auto-x at Victoria Front End and Frame. Give them the specs and they will do it.

mspeedP5 04-09-2009 10:31 PM

Had everything done today at Simoes. Excellent service, great guys to deal with (they were right into what I was after), got the results I was looking for, what more can I say.

longjohn 04-12-2009 07:41 PM

can simones automotive do alignments on really low cars? i have a sunfire that u probably can't even fit a pack of cigarettes sideways.

projectcivic 04-12-2009 08:19 PM

Give them a shot, I cant remember them ever telling me about any car that was too low. had no issues with mine

Super Dipper 04-12-2009 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by longjohn (Post 6376758)
can simones automotive do alignments on really low cars? i have a sunfire that u probably can't even fit a pack of cigarettes sideways.

if they can do NSX's they can do pretty much any low car.

worst case, pull the bumper off your care if you have to, to save the bumper and unless you have a lip or a ridiculously low front bumper, that car can be loaded on a alignment rack without too much of an issue.

longjohn 04-13-2009 10:39 AM

i will look into that, thanks everybody.

ChrisStang 04-17-2009 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dustinb (Post 6303757)
I think it was Fountain tire he didn't like.

+1 for Simoes for alignments. +1 for Tires Unlimited for just randomly driving in whenever you want and getting them to mount tires for a good price.

You must have a different ide of what "good price" means. I bought a pair of P275/40/17s and was needed them mounted on my '98 Cobra rims. They said no problem, and mounted them up, and balanced them. I came back 15 mins later and they charged me $83. I had tires mounted at Tiretrends in Vancouver (same size) and they charged me $15 a wheel. Somehow here they almost triple the price.

So in summary: You pay their effective shop rate of $330/hr.

In summary: Thumbs down for Tires Unlimited.

JesseVic 04-17-2009 10:20 PM

I have got all my alignment work done at Tires Unlimited for the last 4 or 5 years and they have always kicked ass. Even when I mounted a tire with super uneven tread after an alignment, they spent a good hour figuring out what the problem was and didnt charge me a thing.

+1 Tired Unlimited

Super Dipper 04-17-2009 11:23 PM

+100 Simoes for alignments and any work i dont feel like doing.
+100 for tires unlimited. Never had a scratched rim. always taken care of me. 10 years and counting.

ChrisStang 04-18-2009 07:56 AM

I don't mean to sound like I'm going on a rant against Tires Unlimited, but I have another eperience there when I needed an alignment that is relevant to the OP's question:

I needed an alignment done. I scehduled one well in advance and then brought the car and written instructions to Tires Unlimited. I carefully walked them through the alignment process on my car with the bumpsteer kit and told them to take the time to do it right. They said no problem.

I went to pickup my car a surprisingly short time later, I asked if they had any problems. They told me it was easy because they figured they'd just ignore the whole bumpsteer kit, and said that it just looked fine how I brought it in. So they didn't check for bumpsteer or do anything I asked them to do, after I had explained it when I first called, explained it in detail over the phone, brought in the manufacturers instructions and installation paperwork, walked them through the process in person, verified they understood, left my contact info should they have questions, and reminded the actual tech who worked on the car that this wasn't just a standard alignment.

I'm at a loss as to what more I could have tried. If others have had good luck with that shop, then good for them. Personally, I'm not going back.

Timsta 04-18-2009 06:53 PM

give Victoria Spring a try... i like them.. kind of pricey though

Amaru 04-18-2009 07:53 PM

+1 for Tires Unlimited... They have fixed a leak in my tires twice completely free, and have never screwed anything up in the 10+ times I've been there. Never had an alignment done there though.

What are people's thoughts on Big-O for alignments?