REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Euro Tech Resources (https://www.revscene.net/forums/euro-tech-resources_318/)
-   -   Corrado vr6 vs g60 (https://www.revscene.net/forums/567594-corrado-vr6-vs-g60.html)

wes-harrison 03-10-2009 07:07 AM

Corrado vr6 vs g60

Thinkin about getting one...looking for opinions from you guys on to go supercharged 4 or na 6.

deviant1 03-10-2009 07:16 AM

The G chargers only last so long and they are not cheap to get rebuilt, the VR6 is heavier but more powerful and with the availability of turbo kits on the market you can get upwards of 250-300 whp by bolting on parts, and some guys are driving VR turbos around with 400 and up.

I say VR6

Grand Hackmaster J 03-14-2009 03:56 PM

Your always gonna have to send that G60 charger to get rebuilt. You can make more power with the vr (more options available)... and the vr has the sweet sound.

mpr 03-14-2009 05:33 PM

VR6 for sure!

heleu 03-14-2009 07:14 PM

My coworker used to have a G60. He spent some good $$$ getting it rebuilt - not cheap.

I think there's a reason they introduced the VR6.

DeeK 03-16-2009 12:43 AM

I've had both and had them both running top notch with a bunch of mods. They both have their good and bad points.

Everyone is saying that the supercharger is not cheap. Well in comparison, a supercharger rebuild is quite cheap as far as corrados go. A super charger rebuild AND UPGRADE to stage four is $650ish. Stage four is smaller pulleys, higher rpm, bigger ports, etc. When I had my G60, it was going on 190,000 kms, on the original supercharger (never rebuilt), and still pulling 8lbs of boost. Now that is extremely rare, but a supercharger should be rebuilt every 65,000 kms or so. Also, almost every single bolt on part kit is much much cheaper for the G60. and usually gives a little higher output as compared to the same type of kit for the VR6. The 1.8 engine in the G60 is a little more stable (at least in my experiences), not so finicky, although many people will disagree. The G60 also has alot less electrical stuff, which corrado electrical is a fire hazard at every turn.

The Vr6 definently has a more solid feel, and a nicer ride. It has much more potential, but is a much bigger money pit than the G60.

All in all, drive em both, but make your decision on which is in better shape, because alot of them are out there from people that haven't given them the attention they need. They are definently female cars, "The more love and money they get, the more they put out". Also, make your decision based on how much money you can possibly throw at it. It would be worse to drive one and not be able to maintain it because of money issues. If you can't maintain it, don't drive one until you can. It won't satisfy you unless its in tip top shape.

?NR 03-18-2009 10:30 PM

I had a G60 syncro Passat and boy do I miss it regardless of how much care is needed towards a G-lader.

"Contrary to expectations, Volkswagen's often problematic designs turned out to need relatively frequent repair in normal operation, which was one of the reasons why that manufacturer eventually abandoned this technology. The main cause of its relatively high failure rate was that Volkswagen misrepresented the G-Lader as maintenance-free. Depending on RPM, load, and design details, various parts wear out, with results ranging from impaired performance to destruction of the G-Lader. Yet it is frequently possible to extend the life of the G-Lader, sometimes to several hundred thousand kilometers, by periodically overhauling it with suitable replacement parts."

Berzerker 03-18-2009 10:33 PM

The VR6 also has issues with the head shooting spark plugs out of it. The location of the water jackets in the head leads to pitting in the chambers and the threads to wear away. I know of a couple people who have shot their plugs into the hood on the VR6's

Berz out.

chrisbcrunch 06-20-2009 02:08 PM

VR6 for sure and that is the 3rd time I have read or heard about the spark plug issue too. The VR6 is one of my all time favourite cars. I did not have one but my best friend did and it was one sweet ride.

skyxx 07-03-2009 05:06 PM

Lol, something I found!!!

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/389440..._motorweek_92/

blkgsr 07-03-2009 05:25 PM

a stage 4 rebuild on a g60 from stock is about $850 USD or $1100 CDN....he doesn't use current currency conversion

this is from KK in ottawa

i've got a stage 4 g60 corrado...had the same motor in a mk2 jetta

tons or torque and a blast to drive

the peloquin LSD helps lol