REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Island Automotive Chat (https://www.revscene.net/forums/island-automotive-chat_13/)
-   -   Thinking About Getting My First Diesel Truck. Need Some Advise! (https://www.revscene.net/forums/569279-thinking-about-getting-my-first-diesel-truck-need-some-advise.html)

Dentz 03-23-2009 07:48 AM

Thinking About Getting My First Diesel Truck. Need Some Advise!

Hey guys

So, I've always wanted something big, diesel powered, and big, lol. Low-and-behold a family member is thinking about getting rid of their truck (which I didn't even know they had - they're upgrading to new trucks all the time).

So, I've got a chance to pick up a 1994 F-350 XLT 7.3 IDI Turbo Diesel Dually - extended cab, long box. It;s a local Victoria truck, higher milage, rebuilt tranny, brake controller, and was used as a camper/5th wheel hauler, not a work truck - I'd probably get it for around $5-6,000.

Think this would be a good pick-up for the price? Is there any good diesel sites out there (just found diesel stop's forums, which seem pretty good)? Is there anything else I should look out for, besides rust? Oh, this would probably end up being my daily driver too, since my other, toy car, is getting some serious stuff done to it - it would be virtually un-drivable as a DD once done.

Cheers!

dustinb 03-23-2009 07:54 AM

It's a nice truck, but diesel technology has come a really long way in in the past 15 years. I would really try to pick up a 2000 or newer diesel truck. They are way quieter, better powerband, more upgrade options.

Renthal 03-23-2009 08:09 AM

i'd go with a 24V dodge diesel like this one
http://www.usedvictoria.com/classified-ad/8536220
the km's are high, but as long as all the maintenance has been done.
the older Ford powerjoke motors are not that good

Dentz 03-23-2009 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dustinb (Post 6343322)
It's a nice truck, but diesel technology has come a really long way in in the past 15 years. I would really try to pick up a 2000 or newer diesel truck. They are way quieter, better powerband, more upgrade options.

See, I wasn't actively looking for a truck, but this thing managed to fall into my lap - I'd also prefer a dually. Not really looking to do anything to the truck (maybe an exhaust), nor would I be stressing it that badly - besides occasional hauling. I don't need 2 modified vehicles.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Renthal (Post 6343330)
i'd go with a 24V dodge diesel like this one
http://www.usedvictoria.com/classified-ad/8536220
the km's are high, but as long as all the maintenance has been done.
the older Ford powerjoke motors are not that good

It's the rare 7.3 IDI Turbo, not the 7.3 powerstroke (DI). I think the truck I'm looking into has around the same milage, but it's been maintained by a gearhead. That and I really dislike the Ram's styling.

As far as I know, the old 7.3 Powerstorkes were fine, but the newer 6.0 powerstrokes are horrible.

Dentz 03-23-2009 08:41 AM

I should also mention that it's got the tow package, and a bunch of other shite. It's basically fully loaded with every single option, for the year.

Renthal 03-23-2009 09:58 AM

http://www.carsurvey.org/reviews/ford/f350/

sixthgear 03-23-2009 08:29 PM

the 7.3's (both the IDI and Powerstrokes) are bullet proof...they are good for well over 500,000km's so high mileage is a different story with those engines.

The 7.3's and the 6.4's are good engines...the early 6.0's should be skipped over though as they were problem prone. My ideal ford truck is a 2002 F350 with the 7.3 turbo...newer body with the engine that won't quit.

And if you go for a dodge, get the 12 valve, not the 24...better and stronger :)

Dentz 03-23-2009 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sixthgear (Post 6344442)
the 7.3's (both the IDI and Powerstrokes) are bullet proof...they are good for well over 500,000km's so high mileage is a different story with those engines.

The 7.3's and the 6.4's are good engines...the early 6.0's should be skipped over though as they were problem prone. My ideal ford truck is a 2002 F350 with the 7.3 turbo...newer body with the engine that won't quit.

And if you go for a dodge, get the 12 valve, not the 24...better and stronger :)

Awesome, that's the exact type of information I'm looking for. I'm going to go check her out on Friday. :D

Thanks!

Edit - From what I've found, the 7.3 IDI Turbo is quite a rare engine too (where as the N/A 7.3 is quite common).

NashMan 03-24-2009 10:21 AM

you and big truck make's me scratch my head and try to see if the sun is out at night time

Dentz 03-24-2009 10:26 AM

Haha, shush Ryan. :P

Internet 03-24-2009 10:28 AM

powerchokes from my experiences are notoriously bad for injector problems, my only real gripe with them, but other mechanical navistar motors such as 7.3's ( you know they only became powerstrokes when they became electronic right?) are bad for fuel leaks, and pumps leaking/low on power.

i vote dodge, not because of looks, but because of cummins they know how to make a motor,

3116 cat swapped ford pick up would be pretty bad ass.

Dentz 03-24-2009 10:52 AM

Yeah, I know they swapped over from IDI, to DI in 1994.5 . Hence this truck is a 1994.4 with the mechanical IDI setup, heavily restricted exhaust, and smaller A/R turbo power-stroke-plant.

sixthgear 03-24-2009 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Internet (Post 6345235)
3116 cat swapped ford pick up would be pretty bad ass.

Add to that the Allison out of the GM and it would be a killer ride.

Island_Yota 03-24-2009 05:33 PM

^ Funny you guys mention the Cat/Allison setup because my buddy runs that in his Ford, well at least last time I talked to him he was swapping in an Allison but the Caterpillar has been in it for a few years, blows lots of clutches with the Ford 4spd and broke lots of R&P's in the axles.

7.3L IDI Turbo is rare but a sweet setup, 6.0L's have injector issues, the problem is you have to lift the cab off to get at alot of things on them, they are pretty crammed into the engine bay. 12v Cummins is the way to go but meh, good luck finding one that isnt beat to shit(truck) for under 10g.

Dentz 03-24-2009 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Island_Yota (Post 6345908)
7.3L IDI Turbo is rare but a sweet setup, 6.0L's have injector issues, the problem is you have to lift the cab off to get at alot of things on them, they are pretty crammed into the engine bay. 12v Cummins is the way to go but meh, good luck finding one that isnt beat to shit(truck) for under 10g.

That's more or less why I don't like Dodges. Awesome power-plant, but the bodies are garbage.

Anyways, I took a look at the truck today. Body is in pretty good shape, bed has been used without a liner so its a little bit smashed, but generally okay, no rust either. A repair shop fubared the interior carpet (messed up a firewall grommet when installing a transmission temp gauge - the shop is paying to fix this though), but besides that the interior is in good shape. I thought the front seats were 60/40 bench seats, but turns out they're buckets (3 separate buckets - where the middle one folds down to create a centre console). Engine was in good cosmetic shape, and she started up on not even half of a starter rotation (cold start too) - she ran very smoothly too, with almost no vibrations in the cabin.. Apparently, every owner has been adding anti-cavitation stuff to her since new. End result, looks like they'll want about $6500 out the door.