REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Automotive Detailing & Car Care Tech (https://www.revscene.net/forums/automotive-detailing-car-care-tech_49/)
-   -   Wanting to step it up, gurus needed (https://www.revscene.net/forums/570182-wanting-step-up-gurus-needed.html)

Navlys 03-29-2009 11:03 PM

Wanting to step it up, gurus needed

Hello to all the gurus we have hiding around revscene.

So the whole deal is I'm trying to step into the more advanced territories of keeping my car gleaming.

I currently use Meguilars Gold to wash exterior with the 2 bucket method. Armor All APC for the rims with a scrub brush, engine bay with the microfiber mitt, and scrub brush for the wheel wells. Simple Green Automotive glass cleaner with a short microfiber towel for the windows. No touch spray for the tires.

Now, my questions are, for engine dressing, what do you guys recommend? I've been lurking over on DB quite a bit and read a lot of good things on 303 Aerospace.

For the interior plastic, what do you guys recommend to clean it? I just run over everything with a swiffer duster but I wouldn't mind putting some product on it to make it look better. The problem is I'm afraid of anything that'll make my dash glossy and end up blinding me to death.

Back to the exterior, something completely new that I want to try, clay barring and polishing.
What clay bars do people recommend?
For polishing is it really necessary to buy a polisher? Which one would you recommend?

Finally, what type of wax do people recommend?

Thanks in advance.

BrendanS 03-29-2009 11:26 PM

For engine, 303 works great. 303 will pretty much work very well everywhere you want dressed. It'll do well on trim, tires, engine, and dash. To clean dash, APC works great, try it diluted maybe 6:1. DB is a great forum, lots of information there. I would recommend 303 again for dash, many people use it there. If you don't want it to glossy, try one coat first after it's clean.

Clay: For over the counter products, pick up the clay kit from Megs. It'll do fine, but if you want to get fancy Claymagic works very well as well as Riccardo. Claying is very simple as well so don't be scared. Shouldn't take long either.

Polishing, buying a good quality random orbital polisher or rotary polisher is IMO crucial. I would invest in a Porter Cable 7424. Great polisher that should last.

Wax, it all really depends on what you want. Personally for great protection I want to try this:

1 coat of this Sealant:
http://www.autowerkesexclusive.com/p...ger/index.html

Topped with 2 coats of this wax:
http://www.autowerkesexclusive.com/p...urs/index.html

or this:
http://www.autowerkesexclusive.com/p...ett/index.html

For simplicity though, if you want a wax that will last a good 2-3 months get the Werkstat Carnuba Jett. It's dead easy to apply, just have a good quality MF and your set. I'd pick up 4-5 MFs though.

This is by far my FAVOURITE microfiber towel. Very plush, not expensive either if you consider others online. $5.95 CAD is very good compared to say$3.95 USD for a lower end MF.
http://www.autowerkesexclusive.com/p...wel/index.html

The wax is simply just spray on one panel, wipe it around till its gone, then move on to next. It can also be layered I believe after 20-30minutes?

threezero 03-30-2009 12:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xfactor78 (Post 6355002)

This is by far my FAVOURITE microfiber towel. Very plush, not expensive either if you consider others online. $5.95 CAD is very good compared to say$3.95 USD for a lower end MF.
http://www.autowerkesexclusive.com/p...wel/index.html

The wax is simply just spray on one panel, wipe it around till its gone, then move on to next. It can also be layered I believe after 20-30minutes?

+1 on the MF i just receive mine havn't use it yet but i would trust if on my black car. it feels so good i want to just snuggle in bed with it at night.

BrendanS 03-30-2009 12:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by threezero (Post 6355066)
+1 on the MF i just receive mine havn't use it yet but i would trust if on my black car. it feels so good i want to just snuggle in bed with it at night.

tell me about it, i wish they made a bath towel out of it

Navlys 03-30-2009 12:58 AM

Thanks for the quick reply. Supposedly it's going to be raining all week which is unfortunate as I spent 2 hours washing my car and rims today -.-"

I'll probably pick up the megs clay kit since I was eyeing that for awhile actually. Where's the cheapest place to get Meg's stuff?

Also for the Porter Cable 7424, where's the cheapest place to get that? Is the Meg's dual polisher any good? It looks a lot more compact then the PC and it comes with pads and stuff. Does the PC come with pads and accessories?

For autowerks stuff, 911fanatic on the boards is a dealer for them right?

I got one more question, on one of my rims I have some stains that are difficult to come off. I washed my rims twice already but one of them is just being stubborn and doesn't seem to want to come off. Should I just let the APC sit on it? I'm afraid it'll eat away at it if I do that. Also, besides taking off my rims, what's the best way to clean in between the lug nuts?

BrendanS 03-30-2009 01:27 AM

APC is pretty much really strong soap. Won't eat away at your rim or finish, but acidic wheel cleaner will. To clean in between lugnuts this is what many use:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/New-L...71210007r21398

You can find it cheaper elsewhere. Did a google search and found that. The Megs polisher and PC are pretty much identical, stick with PC I know some people had problems wtih the megs one.

911 is a sponsor. The megs stuff will be the same pretty much everywhere. You can get your PC from Ken as well as pads. He has EVERYTHING you need to get going. I'm sure he can get you hooked up! Just msg him

threezero 03-30-2009 01:47 AM

House of tools closeout has the PC for 159.99

not sure if its a good price or not but it just a drive away. doesn't come with neccesary pads and accesories just the polisher.

911fanatic 03-30-2009 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Navlys (Post 6354948)
I currently use Meguilars Gold to wash exterior with the 2 bucket method. Armor All APC for the rims with a scrub brush, engine bay with the microfiber mitt, and scrub brush for the wheel wells. Simple Green Automotive glass cleaner with a short microfiber towel for the windows. No touch spray for the tires.

Now, my questions are, for engine dressing, what do you guys recommend? I've been lurking over on DB quite a bit and read a lot of good things on 303 Aerospace.

For the interior plastic, what do you guys recommend to clean it? I just run over everything with a swiffer duster but I wouldn't mind putting some product on it to make it look better. The problem is I'm afraid of anything that'll make my dash glossy and end up blinding me to death.

Back to the exterior, something completely new that I want to try, clay barring and polishing.
What clay bars do people recommend?
For polishing is it really necessary to buy a polisher? Which one would you recommend?

Finally, what type of wax do people recommend?

Thanks in advance.

As xfactor said, 303 is a great protectant. Leaves a matte finish, not shiny. Autoglyms Vinyl and Rubber care is also nice. You can just spray it on your wet engine and walk away. Claying is dead easy and will make a huge difference in how your paint feels. Any improvements in the looks are strictly from the clay lube, so waxing after is a good idea. I carry the Blackfire Poly Clay which is very nice as well as the industries best, Clay Magic. Cut the clay bars into 4 small pieces because if you drop the bar on the ground, and you will, you have to throw it out. As far as polishing goes, a random orbital like a Porter Cable will work probably 10x faster than doing it by hand. A rotary will cut that time down by another 75%. I have Porter Cables and Flex machines in stock now as well. The Flex 3401 VRG is a nice machine because not only does it oscillate like a porter cable, but it is also force driven like a rotary ( max 900 rpm) so you can safely correct your paint. I'll have prices available shortly. For waxes, you really need to decide how often you want to reapply. Most waxes will last 6-8 weeks whereas sealants will typically last 4-6 months.

Ken

Xander 03-30-2009 05:05 PM

I am currently using Dodojuice Supernatural, and it is awesome.

Nvasion 03-30-2009 08:42 PM

thanks for your write up xfactor but can i ask you something? whats a good scratch/swirl remover

BrendanS 03-30-2009 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nvasion (Post 6356456)
thanks for your write up xfactor but can i ask you something? whats a good scratch/swirl remover

No problem, we need a better detailing section so I try to do what I can. Anyways, it all depends on what you are using. Some polishes work best with rotaries, while there are some made for use with a random orbital. For example, Gloss-it polishes are made to be used with a random orbital, where as Menz isn't specifically made for a random orbital but still works on one just that you'll get better results with a rotary. For a PC, Megs DA, anything along those lines I would recommend the gloss-it polishes as they are made to be used with a DA (correct me if I'm wrong Ken). For rotaries, I've seen Ken come out with superb results with Menzerna Power Finish and Menzerna Super Intensive Polish. Most of the Menz polishes work well with a rotary so you can't really go wrong. But as usual, Ken can give you better advice than I can so he'll touch up on this topic.

Menz SIP
http://www.autowerkesexclusive.com/p...2--/index.html

Menz Power Finish
http://www.autowerkesexclusive.com/p...3--/index.html

911fanatic 03-30-2009 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nvasion (Post 6356456)

As Xfactor said, it all depends on what you are trying to accomplish. There are different polishes for different types of correction. Once you figure out what you are trying to do, choosing a polish is quite simple. If your paint is very bad, you will use a compound followed by a polish ( and also a finishing polish if you are anal ) and then your wax or sealant. If its just damage from poor washing habits then a good polish will do ( once again followed by a finishing polish for more shine if you want ) and then wax or sealant.

threezero 03-30-2009 09:30 PM

any comments on meg scratch x or swirl x for very light swirl removal by hand?

Nvasion 03-30-2009 09:54 PM

i just want to get rid of my swirls i have all over my car from the old owner washing it horribly. i just want to be able to get rid of it instead of just covering it for a short time.

!Yaminashi 03-30-2009 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nvasion (Post 6356621)
i just want to get rid of my swirls i have all over my car from the old owner washing it horribly. i just want to be able to get rid of it instead of just covering it for a short time.

Porter cable and menzerna power finish
Done Deal

911fanatic 03-31-2009 06:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Draft (Post 6356628)
Porter cable and menzerna power finish
Done Deal

+1. And I have them both in stock. What a coincidence!

Nvasion 03-31-2009 06:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 911fanatic (Post 6357131)
+1. And I have them both in stock. What a coincidence!

can i get a pricing please?

911fanatic 03-31-2009 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nvasion (Post 6357134)
can i get a pricing please?

I can do the polisher for 179.99 AND THE 32oz Menz Power Finish is 52.00. Shipping is free for this order as well. The Porter Cable does not come with a backing plate so a 5" backing plate is 19.36 and pads range in price. You'll have to look at the website to see what you want for pads.

BrendanS 03-31-2009 04:58 PM

$180s a great price for a PC, it works out cheaper then buying in the states I believe.