REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Technical Discussion > Autobody, Lighting, & Structural Tech

Autobody, Lighting, & Structural Tech This forum is brought to you by RPM Electronics in Burnaby.
Discussion about modifying your auotomotive lighting, retrofits, auto body, share projects, ideas, etc.

Old 03-30-2009, 01:51 PM   #1
How I Mod your mother

Is this how it's done?

So last week my car was keyed, filed a claim with ICBC and took my car to New West collision. They didnt have a courtesy car for me so they told me to come back Monday.

So I took it in today, but I have a question (and yes I've asked them as well)

They told me what they'll be doing is sanding off the clearcoat, and some of the paint until all of the scratches are gone, then reapplying fresh paint + clear to basically the entire driver's side.

Would painting over existing paint give me any problems? Arent they supposed to sand down to primer so everything is even?

I'm confused..
Advertisement
[19-07, 16:52] bloodmack: EB did u change my avatar and title?
Quote:
[19-07, 16:54] El Bastardo: bm i have no idea what you're talking about because i don't speak gorilla
!Yaminashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 04:05 PM   #2
Media Officer / MOD

Thanked 5,751 Times in 1,724 Posts
if its light they will blend like that so its normal
Quick link to personal reviews -> Website YouTube
Official Revscene Instagram Coordinator
!Aznboi128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 04:42 PM   #3
How I Mod your mother

They told me that the entire driver's side will get new paint. So I'm assuming what they're doing is sanding it down until the scratches are gone, then covering the existing paint with new paint + clear..

This just sounds sort of ...odd to me

Doesnt blending run the risk of things looking like shit after a couple years?
Quote:
[19-07, 16:54] El Bastardo: bm i have no idea what you're talking about because i don't speak gorilla
Old 03-30-2009, 09:30 PM   #4
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

they sand off however much is needed. if its a small scratch, there's no point sanding it all the way down. as long as they use a compatible paint, there should be no problems of durability.
how big is the scratch? if its just a small scratch they should only need to blend the door panel. (painting the whole door is probably just them trying to get more money from ICBC.) its hard to colormatch perfectly, if they end up painting the whole door without blending a little bit of the surrounding body panels, u MIGHT be able to tell the difference in color.
best bet is to see if either they can get icbc to approve blending the other panels, or NOT to paint the whole door, and blend the keyed area.
mx555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 10:08 PM   #5
How I Mod your mother

Well they've told me that they guarantee paint match to be 100%
I guess since my car is new it shouldnt be too hard?

Anyway, they told me that the entire driver's side is getting fresh paint, I just thought it was kinda weird painting over existing paint
Quote:
Old 03-31-2009, 08:10 PM   #6
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

win, win situation =D u get fresh paint and they get more time ($$ hours) to do the repair.
mx555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 09:16 PM   #7
How I Mod your mother

Quote:
Originally Posted by mx555 View Post
win, win situation =D u get fresh paint and they get more time ($$ hours) to do the repair.
Well they're not taking off all the paint, just what they need to, so they're not making as much as they would if they sanded off everything
Quote: