REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Maintenance, Engine & Driveline Tech (https://www.revscene.net/forums/maintenance-engine-driveline-tech_190/)
-   -   Replacing my timing belt, new tensioner needed? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/570344-replacing-my-timing-belt-new-tensioner-needed.html)

flattire 03-31-2009 12:05 PM

Replacing my timing belt, new tensioner needed?

Hey all, so im biting the bullet and going to do this myself. Its an 03 civic si with 126K. I plan on doing the belt and pump and accessory belts and .. ? What else do you recommend? Should I invest in a new tensioner? Thats an extra hundred bones... Arent these things just pulleys on bearings with a spring to build belt tension? Other than the bearing dying whats there to worry about?

thx

azndvdiz 03-31-2009 02:36 PM

hmm I dont think you'll need to get a new tensioner... unless this is the 3rd time your replacing the belt? if its just the 1st time I dont think it'll hurt not to get a new tensioner :D

CORDV6 03-31-2009 06:38 PM

i would also include waterpump to that list

flattire 03-31-2009 06:58 PM

think cam or crankshaft seals should be replaced?

YK86 03-31-2009 07:40 PM

You should be fine with timing belt and water pump only. Tensioner, seals, etc usually tend to go after 200K.

flattire 04-01-2009 11:59 AM

So i purchased a timing belt kit from ebay. Bonfide honda parts - timing belt, water pump, accessory belts, and a couple seals for $140 CAD shipped to sumas. Local dealer quoted $140 CAD for the water pump alone. I'm all for supoprting local business but I'm tired of paying the default canadian markup for everything. Let capitalism reign!

Alphamale 04-01-2009 04:55 PM

Waterpump you can buy aftermarket, just as long as it's brand new and not refurb. Should be about $50 or so.

I'd go with an OEM timing belt, those are around $60 or so.

parm104 04-01-2009 11:08 PM

The reason why you should change the tensioners right now is because the parts are the cheap part of the operation. If you're getting it done from someone else, the labor will cost more than the actual parts. So you are better off doing it all at once...

I just got all my stuff done; timing belt, water pump, tensioners and it cost me $900. Parts were only $300 of that cost.

CDN-R32 04-05-2009 02:38 AM

You should always do the tensioner when you do your belt. You have 126k on your car and pushed it past the 96k I believe they recomend you do it in the first place. Can't remember if it is an interferance motor but the money you save now by not doing your tensioner could bite you in the ass down the road if it fails. It could give out and take out valves, your new belt and cost you a tow bill plus the labour to repair it again. $100 seems expensive for your tensioner but I could be wrong. You might want to hit up some of the aftermarket parts places or maybe ebay again for one. Just my two cents and 20 years in the trade talking.

welfare 04-05-2009 06:56 AM

not sure on this app. but if it's like most hondas, the tensioner's only spring loaded. there isn't much mechanical about it. what i like to do is get everything ready for worst case scenario. if the bearing in the tensioner feels crunchy, replace it. if not, i'd just leave it. same goes for the seals. if they aren't leaking, just leave them. sometimes replacing oem seals that aren't leaking, could actually cause a leak. if the accessory belts look fine, leave them too. when you're done, just return what you didn't use

604rasa 04-06-2009 11:27 AM

T-belt tensioner, water pump and cam/crank seals are probably a good idea, since the belt is already off might as well get them done. Spending the little extra money the first time will save you from major headaches in the future. like i always say do the job right or dont do it at all.