REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   HealthCare & Wellness (https://www.revscene.net/forums/healthcare-wellness_269/)
-   -   Ionized Water and Eczema (https://www.revscene.net/forums/570429-ionized-water-eczema.html)

vl_86 03-31-2009 09:54 PM

Ionized Water and Eczema

Has anyone ever had any experience with ionized water?

I'm starting to get pretty bad eczema, and i heard that alkaline water will work wonders on it

I want to make sure that this will help a little bit before i end up spending a grand on one of these machines

wasabisashimi 04-03-2009 10:22 AM

i washed my face with it when i stayed at someones house with the machine. Its a nice feeling compare to regular water.

But i highly doubt its worth a grand to get it. And i don't know if it will work for eczema.

How long have you had eczema? i'd say 75%-80% case eczema case are allergy related. Remove allergent = reduce/remove eczema flare up.

A food allergy test to find out what you are allergic to will cost you from 250-350$ . I think its better than spending 1000$ on a machine that does not move your condition towards a cure

vl_86 04-03-2009 07:03 PM

i've had eczema for about 5-6 years now, when i first started getting it I was working at a restaurant i would get dry skin so bad to the point that when i made a fist my fingers would crack, now that i no longer work at a restaurant it has been pretty much completely gone away from my hands

now i am starting to get it on the inside of my arms and the top of my forehead, it has progressively gotten worse. 1 year it would be a small patch of my arm, next year it would be usually be the same patch + a new patch etc.

For a food allergy test don't you goto a dermatologist? and also wouldn't this usually be covered by the government or some sort of medical plan?'

wasabisashimi 04-03-2009 08:58 PM

do you have any digestive symptoms like bloating, cramping, gas, constipation/diarrhea..etc?

MSP does not cover these labs, because it is done by independent laboratory. MSP will not pay for the high cost. The only doctors that can refer you out for food allergy is naturopathic doctors.

Anyways, just think about the food that you eat the most and often. Maybe you avoid these foods for a long time, eczema will go away. Lab testing is more accurate and can give you peace in mind identifying the allergents and also rule out food allergy.

Truenosan 04-05-2009 04:46 AM

for a general allergy test, your family doctor can refer you to one.

trancehead 04-05-2009 02:35 PM

my doctor got me to use betaderm. been using it for about a month and its been effective so far. give it a try

i know its really cliche, but you are what you eat. try having more fruits and vegatables, water, and stay away from the not so healthy stuff.

and if you have dry skin as well make sure to use a shit load of moisturizer

vl_86 04-06-2009 12:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wasabisashimi (Post 6364074)
do you have any digestive symptoms like bloating, cramping, gas, constipation/diarrhea..etc?

MSP does not cover these labs, because it is done by independent laboratory. MSP will not pay for the high cost. The only doctors that can refer you out for food allergy is naturopathic doctors.

Anyways, just think about the food that you eat the most and often. Maybe you avoid these foods for a long time, eczema will go away. Lab testing is more accurate and can give you peace in mind identifying the allergents and also rule out food allergy.

well i do get some bloating after i eat..

could you recommend any independent laboratories? i'm thinking about going to those general allergy tests first since i think those should be covered under my medical plan

and if that doesn't work, then the independent laboratories will be next

wasabisashimi 04-06-2009 01:09 AM

general allergy test is "skin prick test", "skin scratch test", very inaccurate, often false-positive results (works best with environmental allergys like molds, grass, weeds, alders...etc).

Proper food allergy test is done through blood serum. It Checks for antigen/antibody reaction against like 90 different types of foods (like milk, beef, pork, eggs..etc). I think you need to find a naturopathic doctor is you want this. You can't just walk into independent lab and ask to be tested. The lab techs are just doing biochemical analysis from the blood sample they received i think. Only a trained naturopathic physician can take your blood sample and send it to the lab for testing.

Try to find a yellowpage? or internet superpages

wasabisashimi 04-06-2009 01:16 AM

the only known effective medical treatment for eczema is a steroid cream with hydrocortisone.

This will reduce flare ups and redness/itchyness.

But its only symptomatic relief. You will have to use it long term forever if you dont get down to the cause. And side effect for this cream = thinning of your skin. If your skin cracks easily, then using the steroid cream will thin it more, and making it even easier to crack and bleed

TheSalesman 05-11-2009 11:42 PM

I'v been using this cream for a long time now. Since I was a little kid (now 22) but I don't use it everyday. I use it when I start getting really itchy and it almost instantly stops the itching. Other then that, I try not to use it. I used to have it on my toes but now it's on my hands. Don't have it anywhere else.

Quote:

Originally Posted by wasabisashimi (Post 6366952)
the only known effective medical treatment for eczema is a steroid cream with hydrocortisone.

This will reduce flare ups and redness/itchyness.

But its only symptomatic relief. You will have to use it long term forever if you dont get down to the cause. And side effect for this cream = thinning of your skin. If your skin cracks easily, then using the steroid cream will thin it more, and making it even easier to crack and bleed