REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Police Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/police-forum_143/)
-   -   Fail to produce drivers license (https://www.revscene.net/forums/570542-fail-produce-drivers-license.html)

vision87 04-01-2009 05:07 PM

Fail to produce drivers license

Hey guys i received a ticket last night for failing to produce drivers license because i forgot my wallet and i've heard from a few people that i have 24 hours to show my license and they'll pardon my ticket. Anyone know if this is true or not?? thanks for any help

sho_bc 04-01-2009 06:03 PM

Some officers offer that as a grace to the driver. I know very few people who do that, and I do not. Part of the privilege of being allowed to drive is carrying your driver's licence. It creates extra work and extra delays when people don't have theirs, as well as opening up the opportunity for impersonation.

vision87 04-01-2009 06:55 PM

So basically what your saying is if the officer didn't give me the option, i have no chance? I guess that fact that i realized afterwards that my temporary permit was in the glove box the whole time(i recently got off of prohibition) doesn't really matter at this point... Another question, if the cop pulled me over at 9:45, wrote the ticket at 10:05(time posted on the ticket) and sat in the car for a half hour before serving me the ticket, what reason (if any) would the cop have to be there for so long. I find it extremely unfair that he seeming made me wait around for no good reason for such a long period of time without explanation. Is there anything i can do about this, i feel like the cop was being very disrespectful. He also tried to give me a ticket for failing to wear corrective lenses because i didn't originally remove my contact to prove i was wearing it, which i ended up doing after finding out about the extra offense. I haven't felt so mistreated by police since i was 16, is there anything i can do?

sho_bc 04-01-2009 07:11 PM

As I mentioned above, not having a driver's licence creates extra work and extra delays to ensure that the person you're talking to in the driver's seat is actually the person they're saying they are. Some times the computers take a long time to return information (I have waited nearly 45 minutes for checks to come back). And sometimes, its not just our computers, but the system itself that is lagging, so we can't even call our dispatchers for the information.

As for making people take out their contacts to make sure you're wearing them, I've only ever done that when their driving suggests that they might not be wearing them and i've checked for other reasons they might be driving how they are (impaired, medication, illnesses, etc), and I'm not able to see the contact in the eye myself. The average person is quite happy to do simple things like take out their contact for a split second to avoid problems, however I do realize that the way officers articulate their requests makes the world of difference to the person's reaction.

v1nce 04-01-2009 07:13 PM

its normal for cops to take a while before they get out of the car and approach you because they do a background check on the vehicle with their laptops

vision87 04-01-2009 07:23 PM

hey thanks sho... i guess its hard to explain just the attitude and everything he was giving me, like he said he'd take my word for it about the contacts and then gave me the ticket anyway. i've just never had to wait soooo long so i was wondering if it was normal or if he was just dicking me around.... but again, thanks

azzurro32 04-04-2009 01:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sho_bc (Post 6359984)
As I mentioned above, not having a driver's licence creates extra work and extra delays to ensure that the person you're talking to in the driver's seat is actually the person they're saying they are. Some times the computers take a long time to return information (I have waited nearly 45 minutes for checks to come back). And sometimes, its not just our computers, but the system itself that is lagging, so we can't even call our dispatchers for the information.

As for making people take out their contacts to make sure you're wearing them, I've only ever done that when their driving suggests that they might not be wearing them and i've checked for other reasons they might be driving how they are (impaired, medication, illnesses, etc), and I'm not able to see the contact in the eye myself. The average person is quite happy to do simple things like take out their contact for a split second to avoid problems, however I do realize that the way officers articulate their requests makes the world of difference to the person's reaction.

Only bad thing I have to say about this is..

If I don't have any contact solution in my car, the lense can get pretty dry and be hard to put back on. For me its almost impossible without any liquid. How would I drive home blind?

Burvs 04-04-2009 06:55 AM

So you ticket people for forgetting to carry a piece of plastic? You ticket for forgetfulness? The fact is everyone is assigned a number and if i can give you my number you can generate my identification in 45 minutes on your slow little computer, a wait that seems inevidable no matter what the circumstances. This is just another waste of everyone's time and money. Like giving impaired drivers breathelizers for their ignition. I would much rather have your resources directed towards the criminal elements of the city that are growing and growing as more and more time passes with less police effort.

skidmark 04-04-2009 07:59 AM

I ticketed more often than not for failing to produce as well. It's easy to be critical when you don't know what you are talking about Burvs. Contrary to popular belief, police have no access to your driver's license picture at the side of the road. I also think that you should re-evaluate your idea that the ignition interlock problem is a waste of time and money.

zulutango 04-04-2009 08:31 AM

There are many more people killed and injured in traffic crashes than there in gangster drive-bys.

Burvs 04-04-2009 09:14 AM

^ how many of those crashes are caused by lost pieces of plastic? probably many of them intoxicated? maybe they should have an ignition interlock eh. And I never said anything about gangs or drivebys, though they do spring to mind when you consider the words crime and vancouver.

I will admit however; you do have a good point, traffic is one of the most dangerous aspects of BC, I just don't think it should be left to the police to regulate it.

I always thought cops could just put in your d/l number and get your info because that's what they used to do when you failed to produce. This only ever happend to me once, but i was able to provide enough information to the officer that corrisponded to the information he had attached to my DL number that he felt confident in my identification. He took my information back to his car, checked it out, came back and said thank you very much, please try to remember to keep your DL on you at all times. Took less than 10 minutes in total. mind you this was like 7 years ago. The systems may have greatly changed since then, however i still don't think i should be ticketed for lack of proper police resources. Or for being forgetful. With all that said I could only imagine how frustrating it must be to be on the other end of things and not be able to bring up a drivers lisence on your computer. I only wonder, is this why people are being ticketed though? and is that really a valid reason to ticket people?

And about my stance on the ignition interlock system. From my point of view I see no reason to allow someone to drive if they have exhibited the inability to do so either through health problems, or intoxication. If someone drinks and drives to the point where we are designing ignition systems for their cars I think there is a huge problem with the way we focus on logistical conflict resolution.

jlenko 04-04-2009 09:48 AM

You wouldn't let your dog out without a dog licence hanging from it's collar, why would you expect to be able to drive without your driver's licence in your wallet?

You're stupid to go anywhere nowadays without some form of ID on you. What if something happened to you, how is anyone supposed to figure out who you are?

And leaving your old driver's licence in the glove box is a bad idea... what if the car gets broken into or stolen, and the thieves find it in there? You've just given them your ID to start using you for identity theft.

Burvs 04-04-2009 09:55 AM

^ actually with dogs they don't need to have anything hanging from them a simple microchip can be used now, or a tattoo. See they created a system in case the dog forgets its wallet by utilizing technology.

A drivers lisence is hardly the only form of i.d. What would hapen to me that would matter if people know who i am or not? If it is health related i get treatment no matter what. There are also dental records and biometrics. If i crash my audi and break my neck it doesn't matter what my name is someone is still going to scrape me into an ambulance and treat my neck.

...takes a lot more than just getting someone's DL to sucessfully commit I.D theft as well.

jlenko 04-04-2009 10:07 AM

Dude, you have no idea. Try telling that story to a park ranger, who doesn't have the means to check the microchip.

If you have no licence, you get a ticket - end of story.

Burvs 04-04-2009 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jlenko (Post 6364686)
If you have no licence, you get a ticket - end of story.

-we have established this. It is the basis of the arguement and thread.

When stray dogs are dealt with they are dealt with by the spca or other municiple service provider, who all have the means to check dog tags, not that this has absolutely anything to do with the arguement. Your trying to tell me a park ranger doesn't know how to deal with a stray dog?

^ not to mention my dog has no capability of communicating with anyone so as to be able to provide any information.