REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Police Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/police-forum_143/)
-   -   "Known to police" (https://www.revscene.net/forums/571111-known-police.html)

Graeme S 04-06-2009 09:14 AM

"Known to police"

What exactly does this mean? I often see this expression used for the guys who get gunned down, but I seem to remember someone once saying that anytime your name is placed in the database (as a person who has reported a crime happening to them, as a person who was the victim, etc etc) the police will use this expression.

So I'm curious; I was once mugged and gave a statement, and a police incident once happened at my house. In neither of those cases was I the instigator nor was I charged nor detained nor anything else.

But if something were to happen to me, would it say "The Victim was known to police"? 'cause I think my parents might have a heart attack if it did.

sho_bc 04-06-2009 11:20 AM

My take on that expression is that it means it is a person who has regular (generally negative) dealings with police, ie. frequent offenders, gangsters, people who have mental health issues that are chronically having the police called out, people who have the police called out because of them frequently, etc etc. Not your normal Joe-blow who reports crimes or gets broken into and has files created for that.

zulutango 04-06-2009 01:21 PM

Bad guys, crooks, robbers, theives, rapists, drug dealers, gangsters etc...but, because of their rights to "privacy"...we can't say that.

BNR32_Coupe 04-06-2009 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zulutango (Post 6367431)
Bad guys, crooks, robbers, theives, rapists, drug dealers, gangsters etc...but, because of their rights to "privacy"...we can't say that.

Would you be 'known to police' for having speeding tickets, parking tickets, minor by-law tickets that have been paid for in the past?

zulutango 04-06-2009 05:39 PM

TheBacon bros, HAs, Red scorpions, the ICBC top 10 car thieves, repeat swingers thru the revolving doors of our "Legal System" (it sure AIN"T justice) would be considered "known". If you continually attract VTs like rotting roadkill attracts Crows, you might be a "known" ...but only if you end up in Prime for repeated contacts of an unsocial nature, with attached unsocial attitudes. Driving histories are not considered to be as "fatal" a flaw as killing somebody or dealing drugs to school kids. Capish?

hotjoint 04-09-2009 07:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zulutango (Post 6367727)
TheBacon bros, HAs, Red scorpions, the ICBC top 10 car thieves, repeat swingers thru the revolving doors of our "Legal System" (it sure AIN"T justice) would be considered "known". If you continually attract VTs like rotting roadkill attracts Crows, you might be a "known" ...but only if you end up in Prime for repeated contacts of an unsocial nature, with attached unsocial attitudes. Driving histories are not considered to be as "fatal" a flaw as killing somebody or dealing drugs to school kids. Capish?

:werd: