REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Suspension, Brakes , Wheels & Tires Tech (https://www.revscene.net/forums/suspension-brakes-wheels-tires-tech_191/)
-   -   DIY Refinishing Chrome Rims (https://www.revscene.net/forums/571266-diy-refinishing-chrome-rims.html)

Lomac 04-07-2009 09:53 AM

DIY Refinishing Chrome Rims

So I'm picking up a set of 3 piece rims that I'd like to have redone. However, I'd like to ditch the original chrome finish and have it painted. I'm looking to DIY this, but I'm not entirely sure how I would go about losing the chrome. I'm assuming it's just a chrome dip that can eventually be sanded off, but I could be mistaken. What would my best course of action be?

jing 04-07-2009 01:40 PM

Aircraft stripper... ?

Captain Bondo 04-07-2009 02:42 PM

It's nightmare to actually remove it - When I bought my work vs-xx they were chrome and had some chipping etc, i drove all over trying to find a place that would remove the chrome with no success.

An actual chrome shop can strip it, but it's expensive.

What I recommend is that you scuff the chrome really well, prime it, and paint over it.

thumper 04-09-2009 07:36 AM

when i asked around someone told me that they had to acid dip to get everything off. i'm not sure if that's correct because i had thought that acid dipping would cause pitting of the aluminium finish.

is media blasting an option?

Captain Bondo 04-10-2009 11:22 AM

Blasting will likely take some of it off but not all and basically make a mess of things.

thumper 04-10-2009 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain Bondo (Post 6373643)
Blasting will likely take some of it off but not all and basically make a mess of things.

oic. wasn't sure because i was watching an old episode of overhaulin and they were stripping a chrome metal bumper using a media blaster.... but bumpers are steel and this is aluminum.

fast_ryduh 04-19-2009 09:10 PM

chroming is actually outlawed in canada because it's a very toxic process. So you wont find a place that will do it for you. Removing chrome by sand blasting would be your best bet.

Manic! 04-20-2009 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fast_ryduh (Post 6388309)
chroming is actually outlawed in canada because it's a very toxic process. So you wont find a place that will do it for you. Removing chrome by sand blasting would be your best bet.

Thats was to be wrong because there is a place in Nanaimo that does chroming.

Nanaimo Chrome Plating Ltd.

Get Free Quote / Samples / Send RFQ:
Address: 1920B Wellington Rd E
Nanaimo, BC,
V9S 5V2
Phone: 250-754-6552

JHatta 04-20-2009 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fast_ryduh (Post 6388309)

wrong.

it's just hella expensive.

stipping chrome is not a DIY for first timers without accepting some fuckup. I would pay someone to do it for you if the wheels are intended for show rather than purpose. you'll be kicking yourself later.

Otherwise, do as instructed above, or check out zilvia.net, because the topic has been covered many times.

fast_ryduh 04-24-2009 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manic! (Post 6389280)
Thats was to be wrong because there is a place in Nanaimo that does chroming.

Nanaimo Chrome Plating Ltd.

Get Free Quote / Samples / Send RFQ:
Address: 1920B Wellington Rd E
Nanaimo, BC,
V9S 5V2
Phone: 250-754-6552

Wrong

These guys do bumbers and flat objects. they don't do wheels. btw thats a starbucks number. Im sure these guys would strip it for you but Nanaimo is so freaking far.

BlackZRoadster 04-29-2009 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JHatta (Post 6389751)
wrong.

it's just hella expensive.

stipping chrome is not a DIY for first timers without accepting some fuckup. I would pay someone to do it for you if the wheels are intended for show rather than purpose. you'll be kicking yourself later.

Otherwise, do as instructed above, or check out zilvia.net, because the topic has been covered many times.

its outlawed in bc period. and canada if i am not wrong.
I've called all around to wheel shops and all have told me they do chrome in california, which is the closest place.