REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Police Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/police-forum_143/)
-   -   Pets and driving (https://www.revscene.net/forums/572797-pets-driving.html)

Graeme S 04-19-2009 04:54 PM

Pets and driving

OK, so over the last few weeks, I've seen a whole thwock of people with small dogs (everything from yorkies and corgies to minipins and chihuahuas) sitting on their laps while driving.

This is a distraction, and can have some serious consequences for both the dogs and drivers if there is an accident. And an accidnet is much more likely with the added distraction of having to take into consideration what your actions will have with your dog as well as your and other cars.

Is this actually legal? And if not, what can I do to help stop these idiots? With the news last week of the woman killed by her laptop...

fukkeneh240 04-20-2009 06:56 AM

let's just open a can of worms while we're at it.. why stop at animals in a car when children can/may be even more distracting even when they are buckled up. Oh, and senior citizens too... Anyone remember the south park episode about the seniors are out driving (season 7)?

oh and women who put on make up while they drive... the list can go on.

wing_woo 04-20-2009 08:54 AM

Yeah, I see so many people with dogs on their lap. I saw a guy driving a pickup truck with dog on lap, and talking on cell phone and driving a manual tranny. I was just thinking as I walked by 'what an idiot'. How can he concentrate on driving with all that. Don't even know how he can step on the clutch without making the dog move around.

zulutango 04-20-2009 10:52 AM

Requirements for moving vehicle
195 (1) A person must not cause a vehicle to move on a highway if

(a) the control of the driver over the driving mechanism of the vehicle, or

(b) the view of the driver to the front or sides of the vehicle

is obstructed.

(2) A passenger in a vehicle must not occupy a position in it that interferes with the driver's view ahead or with his or her control over the driving mechanisms of the vehicle.

You might also consider driving without due care or reasonable consideration.
You tell me how having a pet in your arms or at your head or in your lap, does not "interfere"? I would stop and ask the driver if they could control the vehicle 100% the same with the dor there or not there. IF they didn't get the point, they got the ticket. I love animals and would never subject my small dogs to guaranteed injury they would get in any sort of evasive move...even braking hard. The same type of driver lets kids stand on the seats in the car.
't

BNR32_Coupe 04-20-2009 11:09 AM

pull up next to them and say "do you care about your pets life? yes? then put him in the back seat"

say it in a really friendly tone of course. if it's some big huge hells angels gangster guy with tattoo's, probably a good idea just to let the yorkie die

wing_woo 04-20-2009 11:13 AM

Well, another stupid thing I've seen, especially in the summer are passengers putting their feet up on the dashboard or sticking out the window. First off, if the airbags go off, good luck to that person to still have legs intact. For the ones sticking the feet out the window, I don't need to be able to smell them if I'm driving by and also, it obstructs the right mirror. Then I've seen some drivers show off their amazing flexibility by sticking their left leg out the window while they're driving. I don't know what these people are thinking.

zulutango 04-20-2009 01:07 PM

They are probably either thinking that the air wafting gently over "the lads" feels nice and cool...or they are feeling great pain when a wasp goes up their pantleg and into their crotch. :(

BNR32_Coupe 04-20-2009 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zulutango (Post 6389306)
They are probably either thinking that the air wafting gently over "the lads" feels nice and cool...or they are feeling great pain when a wasp goes up their pantleg and into their crotch. :(

can anybody translate this from vancouver island english to regular vancouver english?

SumAznGuy 04-20-2009 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zulutango (Post 6389170)

Say I had some stuff stacked on the passenger seat of the car and it obstructed my view to that side of the vehicle, that means I can get a ticket?

!SG 04-20-2009 02:22 PM

id die if my 120lb dog tried to climb into my lap while driving.

he doesnt like the cage, and doesnt like being too seperated from us. so what we have right now is a seatbelt to leash/colar buckle. either way, he's too chicken to even stick his head out the window, and prefers to sit on the floor of the back seat.

i know what ur talking about with little dogs. i use to carry around one in a laundry basket in the passenger seat with the seatbelt to leash/colar buckle. it worked good as the dog was clingy, but didnt get in my way or on my side while driving.

Gumby 04-20-2009 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zulutango (Post 6389170)
Requirements for moving vehicle
195 (1) A person must not cause a vehicle to move on a highway if

(a) the control of the driver over the driving mechanism of the vehicle, or

is obstructed.

(2) A passenger in a vehicle must not occupy a position in it that interferes with the driver's view ahead or with his or her control over the driving mechanisms of the vehicle.

You might also consider driving without due care or reasonable consideration.
You tell me how having a pet in your arms or at your head or in your lap, does not "interfere"? I would stop and ask the driver if they could control the vehicle 100% the same with the dor there or not there. IF they didn't get the point, they got the ticket. I love animals and would never subject my small dogs to guaranteed injury they would get in any sort of evasive move...even braking hard. The same type of driver lets kids stand on the seats in the car.
't

The above only applies to a driver - what about a passenger in the front, holding a pet in their lap? No law stopping them from using the pet as an airbag?

RCubed 04-20-2009 06:20 PM

Quote:

Ive had a wasp get my arm while resting it on the window frame. Lol..

zulutango 04-21-2009 06:20 AM

The OP was about drivers. There is no traffic law about dogs in passenger compartments in passengers' laps, like there is for drivers. Dogs have to be restrained in the back of pickups, but that is not the thread here. Seeing an average baby can weigh over a ton in a 50k crash, a small dog would also fall into that general catagory. There is no way you would be able to prevent any injury to them.

nipples 04-22-2009 08:23 PM

Now I'm curious...what would ICBC say about compensating you for damages if your pet gets injured?

Seeing as it's not prohibited...does icbc award anything for dogs?

---
about that stupid feet on the dash thing...an ex used to do that. so i tried it once as a passenger. She's either a midget, contortionist, or I'm a giant. I can't get my feet to wedge between the dash n the windshield. felt like a doofus trying all the while being laughed at

nipples 04-22-2009 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BNR32_Coupe (Post 6389191)
pull up next to them and say "do you care about your pets life? yes? then put him in the back seat"

say it in a really friendly tone of course. if it's some big huge hells angels gangster guy with tattoo's, probably a good idea just to let the yorkie die

i laughed picturing a HA member with a chihuahua hahahah

underscore 04-22-2009 10:45 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by BNR32_Coupe (Post 6389331)
can anybody translate this from vancouver island english to regular vancouver english?

you mean from regular english to vancouver engrish.

zulutango 04-23-2009 08:47 AM

Surely you jest...and I did NOT call you Shirley. ( I've seen too many "Naked Gun" and "Airplane" movies)