REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   HealthCare & Wellness (https://www.revscene.net/forums/healthcare-wellness_269/)
-   -   Not flossing contributing to rank breath? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/572928-not-flossing-contributing-rank-breath.html)

AsBannedAsItGets 04-20-2009 03:23 PM

Not flossing contributing to rank breath?

I hate flossing but know its gotta be done on a routine basis. Mind you I don't end up flossing everyday more like 2 or 3 times a week. For reasons I have yet to figure out my gums have started to bleed. But before you suggest its the way I'm flossing, please take not that I am ultra sensitive with my flossing technique. Maybe my gums are becoming ultra sensitive for whatever reasons :confused:
Now for the worst part. Whenever I'm flossing I seem to dig up quite sizable chunks of food particles from in between my teeth. This doesn't both me all so much as I'm doing what flossing is intended to fix. The problem lies in the raunchy, bunk, fowl, nauseating, stench that I can smell if I take a whiff of my floss string. Its truly unbearable. Should I be flossing everyday?
If it helps I don't have any cavities and I go to my monthly Dentist checkups as well as use crest whitestrips. I also brush twice a day. Overall I'd say my oral hygiene is above par.
Anyone?

twitchyzero 04-20-2009 03:42 PM

considering everyone should floss once daily..your oral hygiene isn't exactly up to par.

It stinks because it's been there for a while, and you're probably getting bad breath too without knowing it.

Bleeding upon flossing generally means your gums are inflammed bcause of the irritants (ie food). I'd suggest you floss everyday. If you do not change then you'll increase your chances of getting gum disease.

Believe it or not your technique is also important, how are you flossing?

DavidNguyen 04-20-2009 04:27 PM

the bleeding will go away. just keep flossing.

i know because mine went away

JSALES 04-20-2009 04:30 PM

don't you only bleed if you haven't flossed enough because your gums aren't used to it yet?

hirevtuner 04-20-2009 05:21 PM

after meals u should floss and rinse mouth with water but if floss isn't available chew gum

SiRV 04-20-2009 09:24 PM

yeah must floss everyday, I have a few friends who don't and their breathes stink like crap (I just don't have the heart to tell them)

Harvey Specter 04-20-2009 10:36 PM

Breath stinks because you have food stuck in your teeth! Floss!

miss_crayon 04-20-2009 11:09 PM

EW. floss everynight before you go to bed. if you don't remind yourself that the food particles stuck in your trap is DECAYING! if you are uncomfortable with the pain/bleeding, it is time you get over it because

1. it will go away as you get more use to it
2. if you don't floss...well say hello to dentures in the near future!

EatDog 04-21-2009 01:52 AM

If you don't floss you may die of heart disease.. Seriously, the plaque causes atherosclerosis amongst other things. You really don't want the bacteria in your blood stream and should also see a dentist at least every 6 months. (the really bad bacteria starts building up after 3 months of not having been scraped off...)

http://www.st-files.de/stgalaxis/fer...es/14-02-1.jpg

Shun Izaki 04-21-2009 02:44 PM

I honestly should be flossing more myself, I tend to do it maybe once a week.

The thing is, I rarely eat foods, or anything that would get stuck in my mouth, I also use those "water pik" things to spray water at it, and i'm pretty damn sure I have rank breath from smoking anyways XD

Girl 04-21-2009 05:55 PM

You will start to bleed the first few times you do it. The bleeding and the stench from the particles will disappear soon afterward. I suggest going to a dentist to get a thorough cleaning procedure done and just floss daily and it should be fine.

Are you the same guy who likes to shit naked and hates washing your feet?

jnesss 04-21-2009 06:03 PM

scrape ur tongue too..

NiceGirl 04-21-2009 08:33 PM

flossing get the food out AND gets the plaque off before it turns into tartar

make sure you floss AT LEAST once a day. and visit your dentist regularly.

a bit offtopic:
years ago, i volunteered at a community dental event where people were doing free dental work. it probably won't happen to you, but without flossing and seeing your dentist regularly, tartar keeps building up. one patient had to have his teeth pulled. with the amount of tartar build up he had, you couldn't even tell what his tooth looked like. it looked like.. a small white coloured rock. it was really gross

hal0g0dv2 04-22-2009 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mulan604 (Post 6391794)
flossing get the food out AND gets the plaque off before it turns into tartar

make sure you floss AT LEAST once a day. and visit your dentist regularly.

a bit offtopic:
years ago, i volunteered at a community dental event where people were doing free dental work. it probably won't happen to you, but without flossing and seeing your dentist regularly, tartar keeps building up. one patient had to have his teeth pulled. with the amount of tartar build up he had, you couldn't even tell what his tooth looked like. it looked like.. a small white coloured rock. it was really gross

ouch

AsBannedAsItGets 04-23-2009 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Girl (Post 6391341)
You will start to bleed the first few times you do it. The bleeding and the stench from the particles will disappear soon afterward. I suggest going to a dentist to get a thorough cleaning procedure done and just floss daily and it should be fine.

Are you the same guy who likes to shit naked and hates washing your feet?

The bleeding shouldn't be happening anymore. I've been flossing ever since I visited the dentist for the first time. I don't bleed like crazy but just enough to discolor the string. I've never had a cavity before so that is a testament to my overall oral health. I'd be able to tell if I was getting a build up of plaque because you can feel it with your tongue if you slide along the teeth.

And yes I'm that guy.. We all have our own dirty little secrets :D

twitchyzero 04-23-2009 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AsRealAsItGets (Post 6395180)
I'd be able to tell if I was getting a build up of plaque because you can feel it with your tongue if you slide along the teeth.

that's a pretty poor indicator of plaque build up. The bacteria that's causingthe more serious problems will be UNDERNEATH your gums.

PM me if you want some resources...as a student working in the related field i can help.

MR_BIGGS 04-23-2009 10:30 PM

Brush ur tongue...thats the site of bad breath

Ulic Qel-Droma 05-07-2009 03:06 AM

funny, i never floss, yet i've never had cavities.

i brush my tongue every time i brush my teeth (2-3 times a day), at least 2. rarely 3. I think if you just brush your teeth well and pay attention to details you'll be fine.

and my breath dont stink. but my farts do.

twitchyzero 05-07-2009 11:36 AM

^ it's different from person to person
just because you dont' have cavities doesnt mean you dont got nasty stuff building up there.

Not flossing is equivilent of take a shower but not bothering cleaning form the waist down.

SlySi 05-07-2009 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twitchyzero (Post 6413566)
^ it's different from person to person
just because you dont' have cavities doesnt mean you dont got nasty stuff building up there.

Not flossing is equivilent of take a shower but not bothering cleaning form the waist down.

Yup.....

I dont recall the numbers exactly..
But it was something like.. Brushing only cleans about 40% of the tooth.
Flossing is mandatory.

Ulic Qel-Droma 05-08-2009 07:05 AM

hm.

syee 05-08-2009 09:06 AM

Flossing removes plaque and prevents gum disease in areas your toothbrush can't reach (i.e. between your teeth, and below the gum line) I'm no dentist (or hygenist for that matter), but I don't think there's any real correlation between cavities and flossing.

When flossing you should definitely be flossing below the gum line to clear any plaque and bacteria.

Not flossing is like what twitchyzero said, it's like taking a shower and washing only the top half (top half being the tooth that you can see, and the bottom half being the tooth below the gum line)

CanadaGoose 05-09-2009 02:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ulic Qel-Droma (Post 6413263)
funny, i never floss, yet i've never had cavities.

i brush my tongue every time i brush my teeth (2-3 times a day), at least 2. rarely 3. I think if you just brush your teeth well and pay attention to details you'll be fine.

and my breath dont stink. but my farts do.

I'm the same way. I think it's genetics, something about certain peoples saliva having antibacterial properties, so you can't get bad breathe, or cavities.

I brush really well, twice a day, for years I flossed maybe once a month lol (but everyday now that I put a floss thing by my laptop)

my breathe is always fresh...makes for good morning kisses hahah

If you keep your toothbrush fresh, maybe by changing it every 4 weeks, the bristles should be able to clean below the gumline as well, not just the top half.

Ulic Qel-Droma 05-09-2009 04:37 AM

*hi5* we have self cleaning mouths.

racerman88 05-10-2009 08:47 AM

your diet affects your breath too