REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Relationship & Gender Discussion (https://www.revscene.net/forums/relationship-gender-discussion_17/)
-   -   Body language and thoughts (interesting excerpt) (https://www.revscene.net/forums/572931-body-language-thoughts-interesting-excerpt.html)

Culture_Vulture 04-20-2009 04:21 PM

Body language and thoughts (interesting excerpt)

I'm still working on finishing that book I've been reading about body language, and I must say I've learned quite a lot from the book.

I started looking for things when I'm talking to other people that I never used to look for before, like for instance, I was trying something I read earlier last week on a girl I knew that I bumped into at school.
I looked for body motion patterns and I was able to determine many things about her (which general direction she was headed, what kind of a day she had, things of that nature) in the short minute or so that we chatted.

Here is something I came across that I think will benefit everybody, regardless of whether or not they have relationship/gender problems.
I want to take the chance to share it with fellow RS'ers :), a small excerpt from one section of the book:

Quote:

Your Cheat Sheet To Their Hidden Thoughts

"Yes" Gestures
Open palms
Forward lean
Smile
Direct body orientation
Enhanced eye contact
Head nodding

"No" Gestures
Folded arms
Tapping
Hand holding up the chin
Feet and trunk pointed in different directions
Hands on the knees
Hand over the mouth
Increased fidgeting
Constant eye movement
Shaking head
Scowl
Eye squinting

"Maybe" Gestures

Taking a sip of a drink
Biting the tip of an eyeglass
Cleaning glasses
Scratching head
Chin stroking

A note about nodding:
Men and women treat the nod very differently. Women tend to nod a lot more than men, as a means of encouragement and an indication of their attention to the speaker, but not always because they're totally on board with what's being said. On the other hand, men tend to nod when they agree with something.

Excerpted from The Power of Body Language by Tonya Reiman

I've tried looking for these things on myself when I'm talking to or being talked to by an interesting person, and I found these little motions to be fairly accurate on just about anybody.
Give it a whirl, it's actually a lot of fun experimenting with this stuff. :thumbsup:

-Physixx

Raid3n 04-20-2009 06:48 PM

seems like a good book, might check it out some time soon.

Culture_Vulture 04-20-2009 09:43 PM

Yeah, it's definitely worth reading up.
She's a pretty persuasive writer in the sense that she nails everything dead on,
just one of those books that make you go "ohhhhhhhhhh! I get it!"

tiger_handheld 04-20-2009 10:16 PM

^ hey man why dont u start a blog?

LC21 04-20-2009 10:38 PM

HAHAH ^

Physixx is my biggest hero.
YOu need to write your own books man..

ScizzMoney 04-21-2009 12:10 AM

To me all those yes & no gestures are ones everyone should have picked up and know by the time they reach adulthood. Pretty obvious I would think. Obviously I'm no expert but generally I find the biting the arm of the eyeglasses more of a 'yes' gesture.

Culture_Vulture 04-21-2009 01:22 AM

lol,
start a blog and write a book about what? stuff that I neither came up with nor have copyrights to? :(

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScizzMoney (Post 6390297)
To me all those yes & no gestures are ones everyone should have picked up and know by the time they reach adulthood. Pretty obvious I would think. Obviously I'm no expert but generally I find the biting the arm of the eyeglasses more of a 'yes' gesture.

yeah, most of these are relatively straight forward.
however, many people pick up these gestures subconsciously, so it's actually kinda nice to have it put in words.

There IS one on that list that I don't think is completely accurate, which is the one about taking a sip of a drink. I mean, yeah okay, that's a "maybe" thing I'd probably do as well, but what if I was just thirsty?
Anybody have any better indicators/clearer idea on this one?

-Physixx

Girl 04-21-2009 08:49 PM

And there are people that know this and manipulate it into their daily routine and getting what they want or seeing people's reactions. =)

TOPEC 04-21-2009 10:47 PM

what book is it? where can i pick one up? seems like an interesting book.

trancehead 04-21-2009 11:36 PM

Physixx have you read The Game? just wondering what are your thoughts on it since ive seen a couple people with this book

BoneThug 04-21-2009 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Girl (Post 6391836)
And there are people that know this and manipulate it into their daily routine and getting what they want or seeing people's reactions. =)

anyone with a bit of life experience knows most of these.

cant put too much stock in these for true feelings. its more what someone chooses to project, then what they really think.

Culture_Vulture 04-22-2009 12:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RX_Renesis (Post 6392078)
what book is it? where can i pick one up? seems like an interesting book.

The Power of Body Language by Tonya Reiman
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...tL._SS500_.jpg
she's a milf :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by trancehead (Post 6392134)
Physixx have you read The Game? just wondering what are your thoughts on it since ive seen a couple people with this book

Yeah I've read it.
It's an interesting read, despite all the controversies people tend to raise about it. Nonetheless, it never hurts to read.

Culture_Vulture 04-22-2009 12:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BoneThug (Post 6392141)
anyone with a bit of life experience knows most of these.

cant put too much stock in these for true feelings. its more what someone chooses to project, then what they really think.

what do you mean by this?

Raid3n 04-22-2009 07:51 AM

^i think that only applies to some people. most people can't control their subconcious actions, so 90% of the time these would be accurate indicators.