REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Police Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/police-forum_143/)
-   -   Right of way in an intersection (https://www.revscene.net/forums/573361-right-way-intersection.html)

124Y 04-24-2009 02:07 AM

Right of way in an intersection

If I were to turn left into the left lane of a 2-lane street and a car from the opposite direction turns right onto the same street but makes a wide turn into the left lane as well, does he have the right of way to do that because he is turning right and I should yield to him? I personally think he should turn into the right lane as changing lanes in an intersection is illegal, but will it be my fault if an accident occurred?

CRS 04-24-2009 05:57 AM

Both would be at fault. He has right of way on the right turn but making a wide turn and going into the far lane would be illegal. You would be at fault because you failed to yield. So outcome will mostly be 50/50 and even then, I wouldn't be surprised if you got the worse end of it.

zulutango 04-24-2009 07:01 AM

The right turner has to enter the nearest lane first...then move to any other lane. He would have to grab the curb lane, which should allow you to enter the lane closest to you...the centre lane. There should be no conflict...BUT in the real world...expect an ICBC hassle.

124Y 04-24-2009 09:40 AM

Hmm... I just don't think it's the matter of yielding anymore since we're passed the intersection. If it was a 1-lane street, then I must yield to him, no doubt. If it's a 2-lane or 3-lane street, isn't it a matter of him cutting into my lane to his left with his right signal on?

zulutango 04-24-2009 10:13 AM

It was a matter of the legal requirement for both drivers to enter the nearest lane first when they turned...after that is accomplished then both have to yield when changing from that original position to another. He cannot legally turn right from the other road and go right into the centre lane...he must enter the curb lane first and then move, if he can. By making your turn from centre lane to centre lane, you are following the law. IF the guy comes right into your lane, ICBC should find him 100% at fault.

124Y 04-24-2009 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zulutango (Post 6395742)
It was a matter of the legal requirement for both drivers to enter the nearest lane first when they turned...after that is accomplished then both have to yield when changing from that original position to another. He cannot legally turn right from the other road and go right into the centre lane...he must enter the curb lane first and then move, if he can. By making your turn from centre lane to centre lane, you are following the law. IF the guy comes right into your lane, ICBC should find him 100% at fault.

Just as I thought! Thanks for the input :thumbsup:

zulutango 04-24-2009 11:27 AM

Here it is...in writing.

Driving on laned roadway
151 A driver who is driving a vehicle on a laned roadway

(a) must not drive it from one lane to another when a broken line only exists between the lanes, unless the driver has ascertained that movement can be made with safety and will in no way affect the travel of another vehicle,

(b) must not drive it from one lane to another if that action necessitates crossing a solid line,

(c) must not drive it from one lane to another without first signalling his or her intention to do so by hand and arm or approved mechanical device in the manner prescribed by sections 171 and 172,

(d) when approaching an intersection intending to turn left must drive the vehicle in the centre lane or in the lane nearest the centre of the roadway on the right hand half of the highway,

(e) when approaching an intersection intending to turn right must drive the vehicle in the lane nearest to the right hand side of the roadway,

(f) must not pass a vehicle on the left if that action necessitates driving on that part of the highway designated for travel in the opposite direction, and

Soundy 04-24-2009 08:47 PM

I see exactly the opposite of this happen all the time at Lougheed and Harris in Pitt Meadows - cars turning left from Lougheed westbound onto Harris southbound regularly swing straight into the right lane on Harris... fortunately the cars waiting to turn right are usually either too paranoid (and rightly so) or too ignorant of the law to realize that they do actually have the right of way to turn into that curb lane, because the left-turners are required by law to turn into the right lane.

jlenko 04-25-2009 09:16 AM

I see this all the time, everywhere in Vancouver... people turning into the wrong lanes. It's such a simple little thing to do, and you can help avoid an accident if you just get into the habit of turning into the proper lane, each and every time.

I challenge all RS.net users to start turning into the proper lanes :)

124Y 04-25-2009 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jlenko (Post 6397074)
I see this all the time, everywhere in Vancouver... people turning into the wrong lanes. It's such a simple little thing to do, and you can help avoid an accident if you just get into the habit of turning into the proper lane, each and every time.

Yeah I see it all the time...especially in Richmond! That's why my friend and I were having this debate whether or not the person left turning into the correct lane has to yield to a right-turn driver turning into the wrong lane!

johny 04-25-2009 11:13 AM

I lost points on this on my road test, and I was the right turner... I went into the 1st lane. but was warned the left driver could have gone wide, so I should have waited...

johny 04-25-2009 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jlenko (Post 6397074)

The worst place I see this is turning from rupert onto 1st towards the highway. those lanes are even solid white, but everyone crosses trying to get to the correct onramps. I've almost been hit a few times. there are 3 lanes on 1st, 2 for north bond rupert right turners , and one for south bound rupert left turners, and they always want to cross each other in the middle of the intersection.

wing_woo 04-27-2009 08:45 AM

I know what you mean. I'll turn right from the middle lane onto 1st and wait till I pass the solid white to change into the left lane to go to the onramp, but I see so many people on the other side turn left into the middle lane. It's so annoying, but most of the time, they'll be shocked and slam on their brakes because they just realized there's two lanes to turn right there.

124Y 04-29-2009 02:11 AM

Normally I yield to those who turn wide even though it may be their fault, but most of the time they don't even realize what they're doing is wrong even if I honk at them... they just give me this confused face...

BNR32_Coupe 04-29-2009 09:35 AM

does anybody know the special cases for pick up trucks that have to make wide turns? does the truck have the right of way if its making the right turn, or does the truck have to yield for the left turner?

Quote:

Originally Posted by 124Y (Post 6402232)
Normally I yield to those who turn wide even though it may be their fault, but most of the time they don't even realize what they're doing is wrong even if I honk at them... they just give me this confused face...

that's cause they're idiots. its one thing to drive sloppy, but its another to act like you didnt do anything wrong. when i encounter those types of situations, if i get the chance to pull up next to them i tell them what they did wrong. you can't teach people anything just by honking at them, you gotta tell them in a courteous way what they did wrong and why it's dangerous

zulutango 04-29-2009 10:32 AM

does anybody know the special cases for pick up trucks that have to make wide turns? does the truck have the right of way if its making the right turn, or does the truck have to yield for the left turner?

If the vehicle is so large that they cannot stay in their lane while turning, the truck has to yield to any traffic and wait until the way is clear and they will not interfere with any other traffic.

Dragon-88 04-30-2009 12:54 PM

Apparently this happened to a rs member a few years back and he got the butt end of the stick... Apparently he was turning left onto a 2 lane street during a yellow while the vehicle comming from the opposite direction was turning right at the same time and that car took a wide turn and hit the rs member... RS member was at fault because he was supposed to wait until intersection is clear before turning

124Y 05-01-2009 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dragon-88 (Post 6403980)
Apparently this happened to a rs member a few years back and he got the butt end of the stick... Apparently he was turning left onto a 2 lane street during a yellow while the vehicle comming from the opposite direction was turning right at the same time and that car took a wide turn and hit the rs member... RS member was at fault because he was supposed to wait until intersection is clear before turning

So the other driver wasn't at fault at all for turning into the wrong lane at first?