REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Police Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/police-forum_143/)
-   -   News item: S-G mans up! (https://www.revscene.net/forums/573511-news-item-s-g-mans-up.html)

Soundy 04-25-2009 08:42 AM

News item: S-G mans up!

Quote:

Breaking News Alert
John van Dongen's driver's licence suspended

BC's Solicitor General has been temporarily prohibited from driving due to the number of speeding tickets he's received. John van Dongen says he will not appeal the prohibition.

Tune into News1130 for the very latest on this story, or visit News1130.com
News1130 mornings with George Gordon and Dianne Newman, weekdays 5:30 to 9am.
If the Solicitor General can take his lumps, so can you!

jlenko 04-25-2009 09:10 AM

The difference is that John Van Dongen isn't coming to the Police forum to cry about it... ;)

Soundy 04-25-2009 09:20 AM

Hmm, too many speeding tickets? Maybe he should be Minister of Highways ;)

Worked for Flyin' Phil!

zulutango 04-25-2009 09:36 PM

Funny how he got suspended. The media reports I saw said he had 2 speeding tickets...rather unusual to get a prohib for just that. I have stopped people with 15-20 tickets and no prohibs. Wonder if there is more to this story. See the media dredging more Liberal driving histories. Have not seen the media in any hurry to dig up any NDP records. I'm aware of several very high level NDP folks with driving histories...wonder why they are not surfacing?

dutch 04-25-2009 10:09 PM

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servl.../National/home

Quote:

Mr. van Dongen, who has a lengthy history of speeding, learned on Thursday that he had lost his licence for four months after collecting two tickets for excessive speeding in a short period of time.
I've read through the rules a few times, I wasn't aware they could suspend you for 6 points? What is a short period of time, is there a clause for that (other then the 2 year thing)?

There is another article saying that he has had 5 additional tickets in the past 10 years.

edit: i looked it up:

http://www.pssg.gov.bc.ca/osmv/publi...guidelines.pdf

Criteria for prohibition:

Quote:

Any combination of two of the following offences
within a one year period: excessive speed, driving
without due care and attention and driving without
reasonable consideration

InvisibleSoul 04-25-2009 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dutch (Post 6397850)
I've read through the rules a few times, I wasn't aware they could suspend you for 6 points? What is a short period of time, is there a clause for that (other then the 2 year thing)?

Speeding is 3 points, but I believe excessive speeding is 6 points.

dutch 04-25-2009 11:25 PM

its 3 points.

http://www.icbc.com/Licensing/lic_fi...fine_chart.asp

dutch 04-27-2009 11:27 AM

he resigned!

http://www.vancouversun.com/entertai...783/story.html

yvrnycracer 04-27-2009 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zulutango (Post 6397816)
Funny how he got suspended. The media reports I saw said he had 2 speeding tickets...rather unusual to get a prohib for just that. I have stopped people with 15-20 tickets and no prohibs. Wonder if there is more to this story. See the media dredging more Liberal driving histories. Have not seen the media in any hurry to dig up any NDP records. I'm aware of several very high level NDP folks with driving histories...wonder why they are not surfacing?

Please please please give us the names... or PM them to me... I have a few contacts in the media who might enjoy a story on this :D

To be completely honest... the fact that he resigned... its respectful but not necessary at all. Its really not that hard to earn a few excessive tickets. All it takes is a little bad luck and following the average rate of traffic and if the officer's wife gave him hell in the morning... bang excessive speeding. Look at the sections on HWY 1 near vancouver where it drops down to 80... i have been in traffic in the "fast lane" where the pack of cars is moving at 120kph... Many highways this is quite possible on... HWY 91... even HWY 99 its not that difficult...

He manned up, didn't dispute the suspension and paid the fines. If anything I would have more confidence in this man to do his job. He has a few speeding tickets, I honestly don't care and people who focus on real issues wouldn't either. Driving 140kph is NOT dangerous, it is only perceived to be dangerous... Let's not forget the speed limits on many of the US highways are ~112kph and some places have NO speed-limits...

SumAznGuy 04-27-2009 10:21 PM

The news just said he had 9 tickets in 5 years.
He resigned as Solicitor General but is still running for MLA in his Abby riding.

sebberry 04-27-2009 10:28 PM

The IRSU that he is responsible for clearly isn't working to discourage speeding as he has had several speeding tickets in the past few years according to Global News.

Raod safety through targeting speeders is purely a political platform to make it look like they are genuinely concerned about public safety.

I'd really like to see the driving records of past public safety ministers, ICBC heads and even the police themselves who enforce the limits.

Meanwhile the Victoria police is complaining that they don't have enough money to fund a badly needed Domestic Violence unit, but unlike speeders there is no money to be made off of battered women.

l2_narain 04-27-2009 11:43 PM

I can bet the majority of those tickets came from driving on HWY 1.

This could mean good news for the leadfoots. Maybe the next SG might raise the speed limit so him/her or their buddies in cabinets don't get caught making the same mistake :P .

I give him props for stepping down. They say he's pretty popular in Abby but 7 tickets in 4 years ain't good for business.

edit: ma engrish 1st ckass!

Great68 04-28-2009 07:19 AM

What pisses me off more is that the story on the news mentioned Jesse McClinton (Victoria-Swan Lake) was arrested and charged in 2006 for drinking and driving, and when the reporters asked Gordon Campbell to comment on this his response was something like "He said he was sorry, and now it's time to move on".

Excuse me? Said he was "Sorry"? For drunk driving??? And that makes it all better???

What the hell is wrong here?

sebberry 04-28-2009 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Great68 (Post 6400895)
What the hell is wrong here?

BC residents keep electing these people.

projectcivic 04-28-2009 01:27 PM

Its pretty hard for Campbell to be too upset with Jesse McClinton when he also has a drunk driving conviction from a few years ago.
To even things out though, I want the media to pull the driving records of the NDP as well cause I can assue you things aren't all rosy on their side.

sebberry 04-28-2009 01:34 PM

What a socially responsible bunch of folks who set our laws, eh?

Soundy 04-28-2009 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by projectcivic (Post 6401234)
Its pretty hard for Campbell to be too upset with Jesse McClinton when he also has a drunk driving conviction from a few years ago.
To even things out though, I want the media to pull the driving records of the NDP as well cause I can assue you things aren't all rosy on their side.

Wonder how many of those same media also have spotless records?

sebberry 04-28-2009 06:43 PM

I really wish driving records were a matter of public record.

Supafly 05-04-2009 10:18 AM

it is...you just have to find it....i'vve posted the gov't site where you can look up peoples names in VOT.