REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Police Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/police-forum_143/)
-   -   Behind the Wheel - Railway Crossing Etiquette (https://www.revscene.net/forums/573630-behind-wheel-railway-crossing-etiquette.html)

skidmark 04-26-2009 11:15 AM

Behind the Wheel - Railway Crossing Etiquette

Using proper caution at railway crossings is something that all drivers must remember, because the train will not stop for you. It is easy to forget if you use a crossing regularly but don't often meet a train. The following information may help you avoid "running into" a train.

Where do you stop? Your vehicle must be stopped within 15 metres, and no less than 5 metres from the nearest rail.

When do you stop? You must stop if an electrical or mechanical signal, or a flagman is giving warning. You must also stop if a crossing gate is being lowered, or if a train is within 500 metres, or is travelling at such a speed that it is an immediate hazard. Of course, you must obey a stop sign posted at the crossing.

It is an offence to pass a barrier at a railway crossing when it is closed, or if it is being closed or opened. It is also an offence to approach a railway crossing without using caution.

Drivers of vehicles carrying poisons, explosives or flammables, and drivers of buses or school buses carrying passengers must stop at all uncontrolled railway crossings, even if a train is not approaching. The driver must look both ways and listen for an approaching train. If it is safe to proceed, the driver must cross the tracks without shifting gears, and must not stop over the tracks.

Finally, beware of crossings where there is more than one set of tracks. If a train appears to be stopped at the crossing remember it could be waiting for another train to pass on the other set of tracks. If you drive across the tracks without checking the second crossing you could be struck by the other train.

Reference Links

johny 04-26-2009 06:09 PM

the 500m thing is interesting. I cross tracks everyday (with Arms), and most days trains are parked within 500m of the crossing. seeing as it's a train loading / unloading area. sometimes trains are parked within 25m's of the crossing.

So apparently I break the law everyday.

jlenko 04-26-2009 10:41 PM

Thanks for the great post Skidmark :)

I actually work for the railway... and I've seen the remains of people who thought they could beat the train (trust me, it ain't a pretty picture..). It's just not worth it, the train always wins.

Even if there ARE gates, it doesn't hurt to look both ways before you cross the tracks... because the systems that lower the gates CAN and DO fail. The crew likely won't know until it's too late and you've been crushed by the train.

For johny's comment above, there is a stipulation somewhere I've read about a controlled crossing (with arms, as you put it)... some are controlled by the crew dialing DTMF tones via the radio, in addition to or in place of the sensor that automatically closes them. If the crew has stopped the train short of the crossing, and opened the gates (or never closed them at all), then you are allowed to proceed. I don't know where this fits into the MVA regulations though...

MarkyMark 04-26-2009 11:39 PM

There is a train crossing that I have to pass to get into my work where trains come about every half hour and people always drive around the barriers when a train is coming it's crazy.

Also is there any laws for how long a train can be on the crossing for? There have been times where it's been like 40 minutes, or even well over and hour (i havent waited over an hour personally just from other people i've heard) of the train just sitting on the tracks not moving, and it stops anyone from coming in and out of the area. It's not only annoying as hell but it makes me wonder if someone needed medical attention there's no way of an ambulance making it in till the train moves.

Soundy 04-26-2009 11:56 PM

I don't know that "etiquette" is the proper term, so much as "self-preservation"...

Because let's face it, no matter who has the right-of-way in law, you will ALWAYS lose if you try to play chicken with a train...

azzurro32 04-27-2009 07:28 AM

Rarely happens but good to know.

I wasn't expecting one and almost got stuck inbetween 2 vehicles with my car being on the tracks on Rupert beside superstore. Next thing I know there was a train coming lol. Good thing I was able to manuever around the car ahead of me.

BNR32_Coupe 04-27-2009 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by azzurro32 (Post 6399384)
Rarely happens but good to know.

I wasn't expecting one and almost got stuck inbetween 2 vehicles with my car being on the tracks on Rupert beside superstore. Next thing I know there was a train coming lol. Good thing I was able to manuever around the car ahead of me.

Should've just gotten out instead of trying to save your car.

!Yaminashi 04-27-2009 11:37 AM

Whats funny is when you get idiots honking at you to move up further whiel sitting at a light, but if you do you'll end up on the tracks

Some people are just plain stupid

Berzerker 04-27-2009 11:56 AM

I got handed a railway safety brochure today when driving across some local tracks. Be safe trains always win.

Berz out.

jlenko 04-28-2009 09:11 AM

I have my share of horror stories... including seeing the pieces of brain that the dimwit obviously wasn't using when he tried to sneak between the gates. Train caught him at 40 miles per hour and there was literally nothing left... they were sitting on the truck assembly between the wheels.

What a waste...

Soundy 04-28-2009 10:00 AM

My wife knows someone who works for CN... when that biker went around the gates in Langley last year and got pasted by the train... he had to clean the bits of teeth and brain out of the front of the engine.

Revillusion GT 04-28-2009 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jlenko (Post 6400978)
I have my share of horror stories... including seeing the pieces of brain that the dimwit obviously wasn't using when he tried to sneak between the gates. Train caught him at 40 miles per hour and there was literally nothing left... they were sitting on the truck assembly between the wheels.

What a waste...

The download of the engine showed 46 MPH ;)

anyways on to my contribution. I'm a conductor for CN and have seen far too many close calls and stupidity at rail crossings. The rule for us (rail crew) for time limit on crossings (public) is 5 minutes from when the first car shows up, at private crossings (marked with a sign you can look for) is UNLIMITED time on the crossing.

I can only encourage and hope people will try and be smart around crossings as I've seen the aftermath and destruction that comes from it. A good quote to remember when it comes to crossings "in the event of a tie, the train ALWAYS wins'

I think that people running crossings should get it much worse than they do when they're caught, after all they're not just gambling with their lives but the sanity and livelihood of the crew on said train.

Exmple: the crew that wiped out that idiot motorcyclist in langley last year ... one took an early retirement and the other is still off on stress leave. Seeing someones helmet smash the locomotive windshield in front of you will do that.

Think a little more people, is 5 mins worth your life ?

Soundy 04-28-2009 07:07 PM

Let's not forget this classic from out by Ruskin:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q50hO0VBjKk

Happened right at this intersection:
http://www2.moltenimage.com/photos/b...d/crossing.jpg

sebberry 04-28-2009 08:35 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekpD06P7kiI

tiger_handheld 04-28-2009 08:48 PM

^ LOL the semi vid so .. hillarious!!