REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Suspension, Brakes , Wheels & Tires Tech (https://www.revscene.net/forums/suspension-brakes-wheels-tires-tech_191/)
-   -   Spring install (https://www.revscene.net/forums/573872-spring-install.html)

Slickdip 04-28-2009 09:36 AM

Spring install

Hello all, does anyone know of any cheap places to get stock springs back on my car?
thanks

!Yaminashi 04-28-2009 10:19 AM

Check out some of the RS sponsors
Since you're in Surrey I'd say Advance is closest to you

DHP 1 04-28-2009 01:13 PM

check pm
:)

Fafine 04-29-2009 05:06 PM

sorry to go off topic but is it better to lower the ride first or get rims first?

Slickdip 04-29-2009 10:00 PM

you have get alignmnent after getting ride lowered, it doesnt matter about getting rims on,,,,,,,,,,,,

lexluthor09 04-30-2009 06:27 PM

It does matter, because if you're lowered on lowering springs and you're too low, bam your rims aren't going to fit (had you bought them first).

But if you lower the car first, you can test fit the rims first THEN buy them

AZNLobster 04-30-2009 08:52 PM

^ +1 You dont want your tires to be rubbing like crazy :) IMO I think you should do alignment when you have Rims and Springs installed together. This way you dont have to spend money again doing alignment when your rims are on...

G-spec 05-01-2009 09:47 AM

just go to Garage 5 in Richmond, they are very well respected and actually are very well priced as well. When I wanted springs installed while ago, I called around to a few so called "sponsors" the cheapest was close to $200, Garage 5 installed it all for like $80 I think.
And they did it really fast too, I think I waited like 30 minutes or so....

and yea, alignment comes AFTER you install everything, not before.... cause either one of those things, rims, tires, suspension...etc.... can throw your alignment off, thats why you're supposed to do it after you install either or all of those parts.

!Yaminashi 05-01-2009 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adon (Post 6405360)
just go to Garage 5 in Richmond, they are very well respected and actually are very well priced as well. When I wanted springs installed while ago, I called around to a few so called "sponsors" the cheapest was close to $200, Garage 5 installed it all for like $80 I think.
And they did it really fast too, I think I waited like 30 minutes or so....

and yea, alignment comes AFTER you install everything, not before.... cause either one of those things, rims, tires, suspension...etc.... can throw your alignment off, thats why you're supposed to do it after you install either or all of those parts.

I honestly cant see G5 quoting $80 to install springs. Both times I've gone there to install/inquire about suspension they've always quoted me $100+ for labor

I always thought you need an alignment only after you play with your suspension? It wouldnt really make sense to get an alignment done after swapping wheels. What about when you swap on your winters?

G-spec 05-01-2009 01:55 PM

^ it was a long time ago so most likely I got the $80 number wrong, I do remember they were noticeably cheaper than any of the other places I asked by a large margin.
I remember some places wanted almost $400. And though I can't recall the specific number I don't remember paying more than $150. But then again, the day I was there they weren't busy, they had 2 guys doing the work so maybe I got lucky.

and as far as the alignment, yes you're right, most people when they swap to winter wheels and similar sized wheels and tires can get away without having to do an alignment.

so yea sorry, I should've been more clear, but what I meant was when a person goes from stock to aftermarket wheels, where there is a large difference in wheel and tire size, most (but not all) of the time you'll end up needing an alignment.

TRDood 05-01-2009 11:33 PM

Dale in langley quoted me $300 for spring install + alignment + alignment check up 3 weeks later.

i think that's reasonable for the work they do and the reputation they get.

!Yaminashi 05-02-2009 01:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TRDood (Post 6406208)
Dale in langley quoted me $300 for spring install + alignment + alignment check up 3 weeks later.

i think that's reasonable for the work they do and the reputation they get.

Dales is a great shop, they definitely know their stuff
Jason's STI is sick too

Ch28 05-14-2009 03:09 PM

AJ-Racing does spring installs for $80-$100 and usually take ~1-1.5 hours

Timpo 05-18-2009 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockyvious (Post 6402940)
sorry to go off topic but is it better to lower the ride first or get rims first?

lower it first for sure

a lot of people get rims, which is usually larger than the OEM one with low profile tires.

low profile tires will exaggerate the gap between your tire and fenders...which makes your car look jacked up and makes it really tacky

Matsuda 05-20-2009 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Timpo (Post 6427940)
lower it first for sure

a lot of people get rims, which is usually larger than the OEM one with low profile tires.

low profile tires will exaggerate the gap between your tire and fenders...which makes your car look jacked up and makes it really tacky

I recently went up a size from 15" to 16" wheels and lower profile tires. I think my wheel gap looks a bit big and I'm planning to lower the car an inch or so. Do you think I'll need to get an alignment afterwards from going up one wheel size?

2k1Boy 05-26-2009 02:33 AM

Any height difference requires an aligment.

Curtis@advmotors 05-28-2009 11:02 PM

feel free to pm us for installation quote :)

we will try to give our best price to revscene users!