REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Computer Tech, Gaming & Electronics (https://www.revscene.net/forums/computer-tech-gaming-electronics_32/)
-   -   This is pretty gay ~ Shaw Internet. (https://www.revscene.net/forums/573885-pretty-gay-%7E-shaw-internet.html)

ime2006 04-28-2009 12:24 PM

This is pretty gay ~ Shaw Internet.

Just upgraded my Shaw internet from Xtreme to Warp (Nitro).

I used to get 18~20 Mbps DL speed and 1Mbps UL speed on Xtreme ($52 per month).
By Using www.speedtest.net

Now, upgrade to Warp. ($102 per month)
What they advertise on the Shaw website is 25Mbps DL, 2Mbps UL for Warp.
I only get 20Mbps DL which only 1~2Mbps gain from Xtreme. (I was expecting 6~7mbps increase)

Downloading speed just slightly increased to 20Mbps.

And I need to pay DOUBLE. But speed is far from double. :mad::mad::mad:
Upload is double which I need for the HDbits Site ratio.

For friggin 1~2Mbps DL increase
I pay for DOUBLE ?? Is it worth it ?? :confused::confused::confused:

If Warp is at $72, I would say its FAIR ($101 is a friggin rip off)

What I really get from Warp, its only UL speed I guess.
Give me some suggestion guys, see if i should change back to Xtreme. Give up on uploading speed.

twitchyzero 04-28-2009 12:36 PM

if you dont think it's worth it..switch back. it's not like your on a contract

and also ask yourself if your speed is more consistent

BlackV62K2 04-28-2009 03:09 PM

Well do you upload alot of large files? Personally I don't think it's worth double the price but hey, it's your money.

Presto 04-28-2009 03:32 PM

Just leave torrent open longer. Seed the ones with low seeders, but have high traffic. Just a Transformers soundtrack (80MB), which has been up for 6+ months, has returned 15+GB. I'm on Telus, which is a lot slower by comparison, but I have no problem downloading a lot, as well as uploading a lot. Between all my torrent accounts, my ratio averages 1.5.

InvisibleSoul 04-28-2009 05:55 PM

Why are you asking us if it's worth it? I think the answer is all on you.

underscore 04-28-2009 09:29 PM

just going by your thread title, you know it isnt worth it. also, try phoning Shaw and telling them whats up, they might fix it and you can truly see if its worth it or not.

johny 04-28-2009 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Presto (Post 6401422)
Just leave torrent open longer. Seed the ones with low seeders, but have high traffic. Just a Transformers soundtrack (80MB), which has been up for 6+ months, has returned 15+GB. I'm on Telus, which is a lot slower by comparison, but I have no problem downloading a lot, as well as uploading a lot. Between all my torrent accounts, my ratio averages 1.5.

this is why you are not getting 25 megs. *ssholes and their illegal crap traking all the bandwidth.

s3an 04-28-2009 11:03 PM

The closeness of the speeds from the speedtest could very well be from the PowerBoost feature. X-1 includes Powerboost, whereas Warp does not(doesn't say it includes it). I have extreme-1 myself, and i get results of 25mbps/1mbps. Powerboost increases the actual speed for about 20secs, so during a short speedtest like the test from speedtest.net, the results are misleading. In the long run, or bigger file sizes, the speed for X-1 is probably closer to 12-15mbps.
So because of the PowerBoost for the x-1, speedtests show that they are very close in speed, but in reality, the Warp speeds are 20-25mbps consistently, whereas the x-1 speeds are closer to 12-15mbps.

I think.

CRS 04-29-2009 07:26 AM

Leave it alone for a day or two and check.

When I upgraded to Xtreme, it didn't happen right away. It look like a day or two for me to get the full speed.

way2quik 04-29-2009 07:35 AM

Unplug your modem (and router) for 30 secs so it performs a reset, then try speedtest again.