REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness (https://www.revscene.net/forums/sports-sports-entertainment-fitness_35/)
-   -   Inline Hockey Skates - Where to buy? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/574007-inline-hockey-skates-where-buy.html)

Mananetwork 04-29-2009 02:33 PM

Inline Hockey Skates - Where to buy?

Looking to upgrade from my grade 10 roller blades which still work great, but are really old. I have a couple questions before I go out and drop money on something that looks nice. Reason why I'm choosing hockey blades is because I how I can maneuver better in them. Technically I'd use them for both hockey and riding around Stanley in.

Where should I buy and who's got the best deals right now? I'm looking to spend ~$150.
Any employee discounts?
What's new and what should I be looking for?

Thanks!

FS1992EG 04-29-2009 04:06 PM

hockeyshop in surrey

Nvasion 04-29-2009 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FS1992EG (Post 6402863)
hockeyshop in surrey

or id say online but the currency is pretty bad.

hi-revs 04-29-2009 05:03 PM

hockey shop
cycle taylor
sports exchange?
but for the $150 range, i would check out sports chek, sport mart first.

bsftong 04-29-2009 05:30 PM

craigslist?

RayBot 04-29-2009 06:27 PM

you know, I don't know why people post 'craigslist'....i think it can go without being said you can buy anything on craigslist, so why bother posting craigslist?

Its like insulting your intelligence that people can't figure it out for themselves.

I'm gonna second the Hockey Shop.....but Sport Check has some really good seasonal deals on mid-end stuff. Don't worry about going to Ice Level....i used to shop for the same thing you were looking for...nothing interesting.

Gumby 04-30-2009 11:48 AM

Hmmm, I'm not sure if I'd wear inline hockey skates around the Seawall. They usually come with wheels meant for indoor use so you might find yourself wearing those out very quickly. I've never owned a nice pair of "fitness" skates, so I wonder if they're more comfortable than inline hockey ones. I would guess that you'd spend more time on your feet in skates at Stanley Park than playing a hockey game.

frost91 04-30-2009 12:04 PM

i've done a lot of research before buying online, few good sites are hockeygiant, hockeymonkey, inlinewarehouse and hockeyworld

and unless there is a sale on the skate and specific size you want, it's not worth it buying online as opposed to buying here

bsftong 04-30-2009 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RayBot (Post 6403041)
you know, I don't know why people post 'craigslist'....i think it can go without being said you can buy anything on craigslist, so why bother posting craigslist?

Its like insulting your intelligence that people can't figure it out for themselves.

I'm gonna second the Hockey Shop.....but Sport Check has some really good seasonal deals on mid-end stuff. Don't worry about going to Ice Level....i used to shop for the same thing you were looking for...nothing interesting.

Maybe sometimes it just slips their mind. It can also be said about mentioning the hockey shop. Why would one not think of going to the hockey shop if they were looking for hockey related equipments?

Quote:

Originally Posted by frost91 (Post 6403041)
i've done a lot of research before buying online, few good sites are hockeygiant, hockeymonkey, inlinewarehouse and hockeyworld

and unless there is a sale on the skate and specific size you want, it's not worth it buying online as opposed to buying here

I agree, esp. with the current exchange rate. Even if you find a decent deal, after S&H, it'll still end up being around the same price. Also if you need something fixed, much easier to deal with a local shop.

Mananetwork 04-30-2009 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gumby (Post 6403904)
Hmmm, I'm not sure if I'd wear inline hockey skates around the Seawall. They usually come with wheels meant for indoor use so you might find yourself wearing those out very quickly. I've never owned a nice pair of "fitness" skates, so I wonder if they're more comfortable than inline hockey ones. I would guess that you'd spend more time on your feet in skates at Stanley Park than playing a hockey game.

Thanks for the heads up. I was told the same thing.

I went to sports chek yesterday and I'm pretty interested in these two:
http://www.sportchek.ca/sportchek/do...&styleId=46801
http://www.sportchek.ca/sportchek/do...&styleId=46800
*Different skates, same image though*

I've never wore hockey inline's before but they felt a little dangerous for my ankles. I'm hesitating on rollerblades or inlines now.

LaiD 04-30-2009 12:56 PM

Check if the wheels are for outdoor use or the asphalt will tear them apart quick.

mickz 04-30-2009 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gumby (Post 6403904)

Quote:

Originally Posted by LaiD (Post 6403983)
Check if the wheels are for outdoor use or the asphalt will tear them apart quick.

In the $150 range I highly doubt any manufacturer will give you indoor wheels with the skates. They'll most likely come with some 76A wheels and nothing lower in durometer. If you can find some $150 skates with soft indoor wheels let us all know...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mananetwork (Post 6403978)
Thanks for the heads up. I was told the same thing.

I went to sports chek yesterday and I'm pretty interested in these two:
http://www.sportchek.ca/sportchek/do...&styleId=46801
http://www.sportchek.ca/sportchek/do...&styleId=46800
*Different skates, same image though*

I've never wore hockey inline's before but they felt a little dangerous for my ankles. I'm hesitating on rollerblades or inlines now.

I'm not a big roller guy but if you look closely the skates are different. They may look similar but right off the bat you can see a difference in the lining, boot and chassis.

Inlines are definitely more comfortable than hockey skates but I can't skate in inlines to save my life. There's absolutely no support in the ankles and hockey skates give me the stiffness I need and like.

LaiD 04-30-2009 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mickz (Post 6404066)
In the $150 range I highly doubt any manufacturer will give you indoor wheels with the skates. They'll most likely come with some 76A wheels and nothing lower in durometer. If you can find some $150 skates with soft indoor wheels let us all know...

Good point... wasn't reading. Carry on...

Mananetwork 04-30-2009 03:32 PM

Does anybody sell a hybrid of the hockey skate with more support like a rollerblade?

mickz 04-30-2009 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mananetwork (Post 6404222)
Does anybody sell a hybrid of the hockey skate with more support like a rollerblade?

Not quite sure if I fully understand your question but a hockey boot would have more support than an inline skate.

The Hype 04-30-2009 10:04 PM

Quote:

In the $150 range I highly doubt any manufacturer will give you indoor wheels with the skates. They'll most likely come with some 76A wheels and nothing lower in durometer.
76A is an indoor durometer, softer than outdoor skate wheels which usually come in around 82A. Sport Mart (where I work) does and has carried skates with either indoor or outdoor wheels, so you just have to keep your eyes open and make sure you buy the skate for what you're using, if not, $$$ on more wheels!

Quote:

I'm not a big roller guy but if you look closely the skates are different. They may look similar but right off the bat you can see a difference in the lining, boot and chassis
Lining, yes. Boot...for looks maybe, and chassis, no. It's the same TUUK One up chassis on both skates. Which may or may not make your search for replacement wheels a bit of headache, due to the 3 different wheel sizes. Most replacement sets (that we carry anyway), only work for Hi-Lo chassis' (ie 2 72mm wheels, 2 80mm wheels)

Quote:

Nope. And Mickz is right. In a fitness skate, you only really get support where you need it, around the ankle and upwards. They do that so they can make the boot nice and soft and comfortable. And add other things to the softboot like mesh, toecap venting, speedlacing etc etc. In a rollerhockey skate, like on the ice, you get support and protection everywhere,because that's what the sport demands. If you're going to be playing rollerhockey, get a rollerhockey skate, simple as that. Some people can still get away with their old ski boot style inlines for it, because they outer shell is all plastic, but once they break a strap, game over. Same goes for people who buy inlines now and use them. You'll have a tough time getting replacement parts like that (we sure as hell don't get them, because that's not a warranty issue).

beetea 04-30-2009 11:16 PM

the tuuk one up chassis can be converted to a 72/80 hi lo. you wont find 78mm wheels anywhere.

The Hype 05-01-2009 12:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nammerboi3 (Post 6405003)
the tuuk one up chassis can be converted to a 72/80 hi lo. you wont find 78mm wheels anywhere.

Yeah no joke. Last time I saw a 78mm wheel was on a fitness skate, most of those are 80mm now.

mpower 05-01-2009 01:26 AM

Sportcheck has a decent selection of cheaper skates.

Just like the other two posters said, you cannot have a 2 in 1. Fitness and hockey skates differ just like a pickup truck and a sports car. One of the big difference in hockey skates are the wheels, 2 fronts are small, the 3rd one if the biggest one, and the last one is a bit smaller than the 3rd wheel, but bigger than the first two. What you get with that setup is called "rocking" for greater maneuvrability around the hockey arena.

For the seawall, the wheels has slightly different compostion, the boot is designed differently, the chassis is different etc.

The Power M is 189.99 and is a very decent skate for the money. If you hunt around for last years models, you may get a high end skate for $70-100 off.

Good luck.

Mananetwork 05-01-2009 10:28 AM

Thanks for all the help guys!

I should look into some last years models then

ForbiddenX 05-04-2009 06:47 PM

I don't really know much about skates but will these do for outdoor hockey?
http://www.sportchek.ca/sportchek/do...&styleId=46859

I'm not looking to spend a whole lot. This is just in my price range.

RayBot 05-04-2009 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rdris (Post 6409724)
I don't really know much about skates but will these do for outdoor hockey?
http://www.sportchek.ca/sportchek/do...&styleId=46859

I'm not looking to spend a whole lot. This is just in my price range.

If you're more than 180 lbs, not gonna be the best for you...

I've seen those before, and its not the sturdiest boot. The one step up should be about $129.

Other than that, decent wheels, good (shorter term) bearings and a good supportive chassis.