REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 04-30-2009, 03:14 PM   #1
My homepage has been set to RS

Fender Bender

Hey guys,

Got in a minor fender bender today, less than 10 kmh. Was at a stop light on an upward slope and I looked away for a second and bumped into an old truck in front of me. I guess I was stupid and let the brakes slip up a bit. We pulled over and exchanged information. The guy claims I 'pushed' in the right side of his bumper (not a dent or anything, there is space between the bumper and end of the truck).

Now I'm curious as to what my approach should be: go to ICBC or settle the matter privately? I'm unsure how this will impact my insurance rates if I go through ICBC and have them pay for it but I don't really want to run risk of paying over, say, $1xxx if he goes to get it fixed and I'm stuck with the bill. Should I just pay him off privately or could that still potentially fuck me in the future?

I appreciate any help/suggestions. Thanks!
Advertisement
Quote:
Originally posted by phatboyWhat about the 2nd period?
flawless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 03:21 PM   #2
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

You don't have a decision if you are at fault. Once he files a claim with ICBC you pretty much have to go through them.
pingu81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 03:34 PM   #3

Oh sorry, I should've noted in the post that he would call me and ask if I wanted to go through with ICBC or settle privately.
Quote:
Old 04-30-2009, 03:36 PM   #4
This title intentionally left blank MOD

ICBC gives you the option of paying the repair cost of the other party's bill in an at-fault claim. Just go through ICBC. You can't get screwed by the other party, this way. It also won't affect your rates (if there are no other issues with the claim).

You don't need any more reminders from know-it-alls on here telling you that you should be a smarter driver, either.

I don't have an anger problem. I have an idiot problem.
Alatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 03:44 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alatar View Post
ICBC gives you the option of paying the repair cost of the other party's bill in an at-fault claim. Just go through ICBC. You can't get screwed by the other party, this way. It also won't affect your rates (if there are no other issues with the claim).

You don't need any more reminders from know-it-alls on here telling you that you should be a smarter driver, either.
Thanks, D. Yeah, I guess that's the best option. I'm gonna hate it if the bill comes to over a grand or something for something so stupid on my part. First accident ever too.
Quote:
Old 04-30-2009, 03:58 PM   #6
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
Something you can do is that even though you're the one to hit him, you can go to ICBC to open up a claim and get your side of the story in as soon as possible. This will help you in the off chance that he decides to try and fuck with you later on, be it with false vehicular damage or injury claims.
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote