REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Police Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/police-forum_143/)
-   -   Paying for a ticket late... (https://www.revscene.net/forums/574534-paying-ticket-late.html)

flipkc 05-03-2009 10:44 PM

Paying for a ticket late...

Hey all,

I was stupid and got a no seatbelt ticket when I was taking my sweater off in the back of my friends car we hit a roadblock and they spotted me putting my seatbelt back on. Anyways, of course this wouldn't hold in court so I signed and agreed to the ticket with no hesitation.

A month has gone past and I'm a poor student. $40 in the back account and I'm stuck. I can't pay for the ticket till pay day which is a week after the "month after the act" has happened. What happeneds? Can I still pay it or do I get arrested or what. I'm not too concerned with the $25 off I just don't want this being a big deal.

Also, I'm 18 and I turn 19 on May 26. It says that this will go on record but when I turn 19 will it go away or will I have it for the rest of my life? Thanks in advance!

sho_bc 05-04-2009 03:44 AM

If I'm understanding correctly, you're asking what happens if you pay 30+ days after the offense? In which case, you pay the full amount written on the ticket. The 30 day period is for disputing or getting the $25 discount on the full price of the ticket.

And yes, the violations will continue to be on your record.... Your driving record.

(FYI - age of majority in Canada is 18, not 19, if you're thinking about a criminal record)

CRS 05-04-2009 07:09 AM

Oh and signing the ticket does not mean you agree with the ticket. It simply says that you have received the ticket. It does not mean you admit to guilt or anything along those lines. Only that you received the ticket.

Soundy 05-04-2009 07:14 AM

As far as paying it, you can let it sit and fester as long as you want. However, you won't be able to renew your insurance or driver's license until it's paid. So the only time limit on it is when one or the other expires.

flipkc 05-04-2009 09:08 AM

Thanks for all your replies, this definitely has taken a weight off my shoulders. Thanks again!

skidmark 05-04-2009 08:19 PM

And if you search on "disputing the penalty".....

flipkc 05-05-2009 06:59 AM

If I disputed this would it actually hold in court? I'm not sure it would be worth the hassle to be honest.

CRS 05-05-2009 07:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flipkc (Post 6410387)
If I disputed this would it actually hold in court? I'm not sure it would be worth the hassle to be honest.

You're disputing the fine/penalty (money) not the actual offense (action or what you did). Those are two separate things that you can dispute and you are disputing the latter.