REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness (https://www.revscene.net/forums/sports-sports-entertainment-fitness_35/)
-   -   Golf question, driver related (https://www.revscene.net/forums/575258-golf-question-driver-related.html)

Djiban 05-10-2009 04:12 AM

Golf question, driver related

which one is supposed to hit further, the 9 degrees or 10 degrees driver? i suck at physics so please help me out

cdizzle_996 05-10-2009 06:40 AM

If your a higher handicap, I would stick to the 10 degree. Some guys on tour are using 7 degree drivers. Personally, I still use a 10 degree Titleist 983K 10 degree and i hit a consistant 280-290 yard drive.

punkwax 05-10-2009 06:53 AM

9 is supposed to hit further, but if you can't it well...

Hit both and see which is best for you.

Djiban 05-10-2009 07:01 AM

okay thanks, i already bought the 9 degree already the other day cuz they didn't have the 10 degree stiff shaft in stock

ScizzMoney 05-10-2009 04:13 PM

The 9 will generally go a bit further if your club head speed warrants a stiff shaft. 90% of golfers I see with a stiff shaft should definately not use it, unless you are carrying the ball 240-280 you don't need a stiffy. That said, the shaft is the most important part when looking to buy a driver.

What is the kick point on your shaft?
What is the shaft torque?

You can have a 9 degree driver with a low kick point and basically sky the ball if it's not right for your swing speed. Or a 10 degree driver with a high kick point and keep the ball low.

Berzerker 05-10-2009 04:52 PM

Why is it that when I drive the ball it doesn't do the typical reverse arc but sky's up and then comes down? I have hit a variety of drivers and all seem to do the same thing. I can carry 250 generally.

Keep in mind I do not own my own driver and any time I golf it is with borrowed clubs. I have hit Bertha, R7, etc. and they all do the same thing when I hit them.

Berz out.

giCe 05-10-2009 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Berzerker (Post 6417634)
Why is it that when I drive the ball it doesn't do the typical reverse arc but sky's up and then comes down? I have hit a variety of drivers and all seem to do the same thing. I can carry 250 generally.

Keep in mind I do not own my own driver and any time I golf it is with borrowed clubs. I have hit Bertha, R7, etc. and they all do the same thing when I hit them.

Berz out.

it's hard to give you an accurate answer without actually looking at your swing, but one thing i notice quite a bit is that people tend to forcibly "lift" the ball up with their swing instead of doing full turns and extension especially with their finishes.

rb 05-10-2009 10:12 PM

Quote:

Berz out.

Sounds like you're getting way too much spin on the ball if it just sky's up and drops. You might be teeing the ball up too high for your stance?

bui95 05-13-2009 01:10 AM

i read on golf digest that a higher loft would give you more distance since there's more carry in the air. never works for me though since i get up way too high and it starts to slice left. it really depends on your swing man. only way to know what is better is to try it out. i'm switching from a 10.5 to 9.5. hopefully less height, less time to turn in the air.

bui95 05-13-2009 01:14 AM

Quote:

Berz out.

most likely teeing it up to high and you're getting under the ball. try teeing up lower. i'm no pro though so dont get mad if that doesnt work :haha:

Berzerker 05-13-2009 10:45 PM

Teeing it up to high sounds reasonable... I'm 6'3 and usually the drivers I use seem a little short so I might be scooping the ball. I need to get a set of fit clubs one of these days haha.

Berz out.