REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Music & Clubbing (https://www.revscene.net/forums/music-clubbing_31/)
-   -   I hate digital DJ's... (https://www.revscene.net/forums/576073-i-hate-digital-djs.html)

kumbo1 05-17-2009 07:20 PM

I hate digital DJ's...

So anyway I thought I was gonna do a gig a few days ago. So I get my crate of records and go to the venue. As I started to setup, I see that there are no turntables...I was like WTF? So I ask the guy that organized the venue. He was like "turntables are whack. We use CD players." I was like "OK, good thing I have my cd wallet just in case, and you a big ass fool to call turntables whack." I check out the cd players, they were some raggedy ass home CD players,like a Sony and a Technics and some bullshit ass mixer from like Radio Shack or somthing. I laughed and told the organizer good luck and walked out. good thing he paid me 20 percent in advance. At least that covered my time and effort.

adambomb 05-18-2009 11:20 AM

Can we atleast know the venue so we know to avoid it? Don't have to say the name...just the general area the venue is in.

kumbo1 05-18-2009 11:29 AM

Oh, it was a "fundraiser" at southhall banquet hall. Nothing too big. But next time you get asked, make sure to ask what equipment they have.

asahai69 05-18-2009 12:13 PM

^ lol. if it was southhall banquet hall then you shouldnt be surprised by the broke ass equipment.

penner2k 05-18-2009 12:15 PM

yah what are you expecting?
They most likely usually just have wedding DJ's in there.. nobody cares about mixing at a wedding.

feelthesunrise 05-18-2009 09:30 PM

just because you had a bad experience with that gig, don't knock on all digital dj's. there are lots of world renowned artists that are techincally 'digital dj's' using only ableton live and such to do a set.

obviously in your case though, it's not about digital dj's it is about crappy fake dj's with shit gear not made for dj'ing. to be honest though, at least those guys aren't trying to fool anyone.

i've been to places where they had cdj400's and a decent rane mixer set up and the dj just faked doing the work in the headphones (beatmatching). when it came time to mix, he just stopped and started a new track or slammed the x-fader across.

Manic! 05-18-2009 11:22 PM

Never expept any type of equipment at a venue. All ways ask in advance about the equipment they have. No banquet hall in the lower mainland it going to have turntables, some clubs don’t even have turntables. You would be lucky to find a half decent pair of CD players something like those Numark all in ones with the mixer built in or some Denon rack mounts.
I can’t believe you left the hall and left the promoter hanging dry. He’s never going to higher you again and I bet he will tell everyone else he knows not to either. I would have just used what was there or would have gone home and grabbed gear and brought it back. I would never leave a crowd unrocked.

Presto 05-19-2009 04:25 PM

Wow... OP is a real jerk. Should've just done the job without the prima donna attitude. Take notes to avoid the same situation the next time.