REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Police Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/police-forum_143/)
-   -   Hasting street (https://www.revscene.net/forums/576253-hasting-street.html)

silk 05-19-2009 01:53 PM

Hasting street

Everyone understand that driving on Hasting requires extra precaution due to construction, high traffic, cycles and lots of perdestrain/jaywalkers.

1)Say you are driving at 40km/h and jaywalker ran into your car, who is at fault?
2)Ran into cyclist who disobey traffic lights or without signal of chaning lane, who is at fault?
3)Driving within speed limit, ran into jaywalker and caused third party brain damaged or perhaps death (<--im not sure if ever been case where people died in accident below 50km, im just assuming ) who is at fault?

B-DiZzLe 05-19-2009 02:04 PM

I dunno but Hastings and Renfrew was a BITCH this morning they were fixing some sign by the PNE and blocked off all north bound of Hastings on Renfrew.

silk 05-19-2009 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VancityPimp (Post 6429047)
I dunno but Hastings and Renfrew was a BITCH this morning they were fixing some sign by the PNE and blocked off all north bound of Hastings on Renfrew.

lol, they were fixing up the cables for the bus.

nipples 05-19-2009 06:28 PM

i had a few of those happen. guy ran into my car and pretended i hit him. he dashed as i was coming to a stop for the light n made a big scene. i was choked cause i thought the homeless man would win n screw me over. cops across the street sirened over. so thought i was dead at this point. turns out the cops were on my side as the homeless dude was known for pulling stunts like this. cops even asked if there was damage to the car. not sure why, cause i doubt the homeless dude would pay for it lol

but the told me i could go and took the dude away.

skidmark 05-19-2009 07:09 PM

When you say "who is at fault," do you mean who is financially liable or who is in breach of the traffic rules?

tiger_handheld 05-19-2009 07:47 PM

^assuming both. im super careful when i drive around that area for all those reasons. crackheads make great bf/gf's - cuz they are unpredictable ;)

silk 05-19-2009 11:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skidmark (Post 6429428)
When you say "who is at fault," do you mean who is financially liable or who is in breach of the traffic rules?

assuming both as well, this is a pretty serious question im asking, im curious how is the result going to turn out..

silk 06-09-2009 11:18 AM

No one has any answer to my question?
As I was driving to work this morning, I see this crack head ran into a car on the lane beside me while stoping at the red light.
It really bothers me when i see something like that happen.

skidmark 06-09-2009 12:22 PM

In all of your cases it comes down to how much you could have or should have been able to anticipate and avoid when it comes to civil liability. Since I have no training here, I can't answer any more than that.

As far as the MVA is concerned, without more specific circumstances, it appears that all 3 are meant to be the fault of others, but you are still required to exercise caution if you see a child or apparently confused person on the highway, which your jaywalker could be, so in some cases you could both be charged.

stutterr 06-09-2009 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by silk (Post 6457960)
No one has any answer to my question?
As I was driving to work this morning, I see this crack head ran into a car on the lane beside me while stoping at the red light.
It really bothers me when i see something like that happen.

I wouldn't even care who was legally responsible, will it even matter?
I think the main problem is that regardless of whos fault it is, you are paying for damages one way or another. You always get shafted as the vehicle owner. Lets say even if ICBC somehow covered an accident with another vehicle, or some "damages" to your vehicle. You will pay for it when your policy is renewed. Whenever your car has damages and its your fault or another party is at fault, you always pay; now or later.

j1mmyi3 06-10-2009 07:05 PM

gotta watch out for the hobos as well....some have bad tempers lol

Soundy 06-10-2009 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stutterr (Post 6458436)
I think the main problem is that regardless of whos fault it is, you are paying for damages one way or another. You always get shafted as the vehicle owner. Lets say even if ICBC somehow covered an accident with another vehicle, or some "damages" to your vehicle. You will pay for it when your policy is renewed. Whenever your car has damages and its your fault or another party is at fault, you always pay; now or later.

That's completely untrue.

If collision damage is 100% the other party's fault, ICBC covers the repairs, and it DOES NOT affect your rates. That's the whole point of the "claim-rated scale" and the safe-driver discounts.