REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Police Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/police-forum_143/)
-   -   SW Marine Dr. merging onto Marine Way: Can I go on red? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/576573-sw-marine-dr-merging-onto-marine-way-can-i-go-red.html)

sonick 05-22-2009 12:07 PM

SW Marine Dr. merging onto Marine Way: Can I go on red?

Google Map Link: http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sour...02248&t=h&z=19

I've always wondered, and just want to confirm once and for all. When you merge right from SW Marine Drive onto Marine Way/Marine Drive heading South/West-bound, are you allowed to turn when the light is red and it is safe to do so?

I've played it safe and assumed you cannot, waited until I got the Right-Turn-Signal light before I turned. Occasionally I get honked at because of this.

Gh0stRider 05-22-2009 01:57 PM

ive always made that turn on a red, when it was safe to do so. There is no sign stating that you cannot make that turn on a red.

fsy82 05-22-2009 02:04 PM

nope not allowed. If you notice there is a traffic light for the right turn

Gh0stRider 05-22-2009 02:40 PM

its the same as the light at argyle and 57th ave.

sonick 05-22-2009 02:55 PM

Are you 100% certain of that? I don't wanna look like an idiot if I'm going to be flipping off somebody who honks at me there.

skidmark 05-22-2009 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sonick (Post 6433249)
I don't wanna look like an idiot if I'm going to be flipping off somebody who honks at me there.

Then, right or wrong, don't flip anyone off and you won't have to worry. :)

It's a red light at an intersection, right? You stop, yield as required and then turn right unless prohibited by a sign.

sonick 05-22-2009 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skidmark (Post 6433380)

It's a red light at an intersection, right? You stop, yield as required and then turn right unless prohibited by a sign.

Well it's confusing because it's not a straight-up 'intersection' since the right is on a merge rather than a 'normal' intersection. Meaning the merge goes right, but it's not really a 'turn'.

So bottom line, if I stop and yield properly, and it is safe to do so, I can go even if there is no right-turn signal?

aeja 05-22-2009 11:42 PM

what i have observed at that intersection is that if you stop at the line to turn right, the light won't turn green unless there is another car on the other lane to turn left. therefore, i would think that you can turn right on the red, because otherwise you will be stopped waiting forever until some other car turns left.

BNR32_Coupe 05-23-2009 01:23 PM

:facepalm:

if you stop for the red and dont bother inching up to make the right turn, don't be surprised if i lay down the horn until you start moving.

Quote:

Originally Posted by skidmark (Post 6433380)

skidmarks got it right. unless a sign otherwise mentions it, you can turn right on a red after yielding for traffic. the reason why that light is there is so you know when to stop and yield for traffic (red light) or when its OK to turn right without yielding (green right arrow)

when the green right turn arrow is lit, you don't need to slow down to a stop then start inching little by little, looking at the wall of stopped cars to your left. likewise, when its red, don't blow threw that intersection turning right as if you're the only car on the road.

slammer111 05-28-2009 05:24 AM

I make that turn on a red all the time. You're allowed to turn unless there's a sign showing "no right on red", or the signal says "Right Turn Signal".

Same goes for left turns pretty much. Just because the green flashing arrow isn't on, doesn't mean you can't inch into the intersection on a green..