REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Technical Discussion > Maintenance, Engine & Driveline Tech

Maintenance, Engine & Driveline Tech This forum is brought to you by The Speed Syndicate (TSS) in Burnaby.
Discussion of maintaining your engine, transmission, differentails, rear ends, and mods associated with "driveline" parts..

Old 05-25-2009, 08:39 PM   #1
I bringith the lowerballerith

new headers now a wierd sound

ok i just put some megan racing headers on my car today
there were some fitment issues for example

the bracket didnt line up with the screws so i couldnt attach it
also the down piping from the headers pointed up towards the car and the other end of the exhaust (muffler and cat) went straight, so when the two connected there was a V shape spacing.

now here are the issues
when i gas it i can feel vibrating or something hitting (feel shaking in the pedals even the steering wheel sometimes)
i can also hear rattling. another thing is that theres almost a fart can sound noise now like whisping air or something. makes my greddy sound like crap now

im thinking theres a leak? and the vibrating is the bracket issues?
where should i get this looked at? a regular autoshop or should i go to a place liek garage 5?

thanks in advance
Advertisement

1992 Black Acura Integra GS-R #470
kookoobird88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 09:12 PM   #2
Banned By Establishment

its kinda hard to understand whats wrong with it (i'm tired) but you can check for the leak yourself. go under the car while its running (obviously lifting it up properly, i'm not responsible if it falls on you or whatever) and get a friend to plug the exhaust pipe and feel around/listen for the leaks. as for the rattling, maybe you bent a heat shield or something? tap the exhaust pipe with a rubber mallet or something to find the noise.
nickmak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 09:19 PM   #3

yea i have a jack. i might go underneath it tomorrow and take another look, im guessing its leaking and rattling because of the bracket not fitting. im still fairly new to this car stuff so i dont really want to mess around too much. but yea it makes a really ugly loud hissing like sound ugh it sounds terrible

Old 05-25-2009, 09:35 PM   #4
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,561 Times in 455 Posts
Your best bet is to take it to a good shop, and let them have a look at it. Garage Five, Advance, etc. Exhaust leaks can cause all sorts of annoying noises, trust me, I've been there. Most shops have dealt with this sort of issue before, and most likely can fix it for you.
Lowered_Klass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 09:42 PM   #5

does anyone know g5 or advances per/hr rates?
i usually go to a place on main street called kartech, they do a good job everytime, but im just wondering since this a performance mod and performance shops may see this problem more often.

damn man i wished this didnt happen either! the sound is like ricer sounding ughhh, i dont want to go above 2500rpm then ill get the nasty sound. after doing some reading now, i see lots of people have complaints about megans shitty gaskets. how much does a "good" gasket run for? and would i need a special one specifically for this header?

lol i think this header hangs a lot lower than the stock one, i think i hit it on the ground already

Old 05-25-2009, 11:32 PM   #6
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

I had the same header on my DC too..
flange is warped, don't line up properly, bought double gasket to solve the warpage
4-2 gasket blew, replaced with hedmen gasket
and leaks are here and there.. I got a quote to fix the leak for $100 but I didn't do it..

it was too much headache....
end up sold the header and get a OEM Type R header and I am very happy with it..

Never buy cheap headers.. you will end up spend more $$$ than just buying a dc sport, greddy

Those company really spend $$$ on R&D rather than just "copying" the design with poor QC, it is just a hit or miss..
Y2K_o__o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 11:46 PM   #7

damn
yea i read a few reviews that the gaskets are crap and some blew is just a few days

im pretty sure the one thats leaking or making sound is the one that connects to the cat

i though megan was a pretty decent brand....guess not?
yea i wanted to greddy to go with my cat back but i wasnt looking to spend 500

Old 05-26-2009, 10:46 AM   #8

g5 is $75 labour/hr and where did you get your pedo bear sticker haha..i want one
FatalCloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 04:26 PM   #9

i just took it to the shop they had to weld an attachment to the cat so it lined up, also another attachement so the brack would stay, and the pipe inside the Y pipe rattled so they had to weld that too....

but as i drove home the raspy sound came back and i still felt something move behind the steering wheel and pedals UGH, anybody no what that might be?
and to further observe i noticed black shit all beneath the headers and some above them, bad gasket spraying shit?
its going back on friday

damnit damnit

i got the pedo sticker off houseofgrafix.net ! good website
heres a pic

Last edited by kookoobird88; 05-26-2009 at 06:01 PM.
Old 05-26-2009, 08:24 PM   #10

What shop did you take it to? What did they tell you, other than what you've explained so far?
Old 05-26-2009, 08:35 PM   #11

i took it to this place called kartech on main and 23rd ive taken the car there for a few things and they do a pretty good job for a lesser rate.

they basically said it has really shit fitment and has to have all this custom stuff done to it, like the bracket needed an extension so it would stay in place and the attachment on the end of the cat so they Y pipe would line up.

i dont no what to do about this!! i just looked under the hood and i think the flange part is possibly spitting out oil because i clean that area before putting the headers in and now there is thick grime and esp beneath it theres lots of chunky oil

god damn it, stupid megan headers shit

Old 05-26-2009, 11:21 PM   #12
Banned By Establishment

hmm thats strange man. i think the header in my beater ass civic is a megan header since its a $100 ebay one and the fitment is bang on. my guess is theres something up with the gasket? i had the engine out when i cleaned the surface, and i cleaned it really really well before putting the header on so perhaps theres a small opening where carbon/exhaust etc is coming out. i'm assuming you have a DA integra, maybe the header is hitting the front cross member or the rad fan/AC fan as the engine rocks back and forth? the fitment is pretty tight i think. on a 1991 civic its pretty tight..
nickmak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 08:07 PM   #13

yea its tight in there
but what i noticed is that when i am turning the steering wheel vibrates and i can feel something hitting, i really dont get this. im guessing im gonna have to replace gasket that goes on the block.
man i just hoped it would go on nice and easy

you think maybe i got a fake megan header?
it came with all the stickers and megan shipping pamphlet's, but didnt come in a megan box. i also heard that the tag will be on a diff tube

Last edited by kookoobird88; 05-27-2009 at 08:15 PM.
Old 05-27-2009, 08:32 PM   #14

When you turn your steering wheel back and forth, that's when you hear the rattling/hitting noise? This could be because when your power steering is under load (when you're turning the wheel) the rpm drops slightly, mainly when idling, which will cause the engine to shutter a bit and move more than it normally would, causing the noise. The trick might be to have a buddy turn the wheel back and forth for you, while you look under the hood and see if you can narrow down where it's hitting.

The only other thing I can think of, is that maybe the fitment is different from the GSR's to the regular Tegs. They are slightly different, yours being a 1.7litre Vtec, the rest being 1.8 litre non-vtec. So maybe you got stuck with a base model header?
Old 05-27-2009, 10:51 PM   #15

its when i do turns in motion that i feel the hitting on the wheel, its really irritating, makes me feel like im wrecking something in the engine bay

yea i could try out what u mentioned if the shop cant fix it friday.

yea i was thinking that could be the problem, because when i ordered it is just said
megan header for 92 93 integra rs ls gs gsr, so i was thinking hmm guess it fits all

how big in size diff is the 1.8 to the 1.7 say u put them beside eachother
would it really cause that much to be off?

Old 05-28-2009, 08:27 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by kookoobird88 View Post
its when i do turns in motion that i feel the hitting on the wheel, its really irritating, makes me feel like im wrecking something in the engine bay

yea i could try out what u mentioned if the shop cant fix it friday.

yea i was thinking that could be the problem, because when i ordered it is just said
megan header for 92 93 integra rs ls gs gsr, so i was thinking hmm guess it fits all

how big in size diff is the 1.8 to the 1.7 say u put them beside eachother
would it really cause that much to be off?

You wouldn't think so, but you never know... best to talk to a performance shop that's dealt with stuff like this. I hope it gets worked out, annoying car issues are the worst.
Old 05-28-2009, 08:49 PM   #17
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,506 Times in 4,310 Posts
This would not have happened for if you had not purchased and installed POS header in the first place.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 09:30 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
This would not have happened for if you had not purchased and installed POS header in the first place.
i thought megan was an alright brand that wouldn't of had this sever of an issue

maybe next time before i do anything to my car i should ask you almighty one

Old 05-28-2009, 10:54 PM   #19
RS Veteran

Thanks but the flattery was unnecessary.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
Old 05-28-2009, 11:42 PM   #20
RS.net Licensed Vendor

if u have time to come by coquitlam!

feel free to pm me and we can try to see wut happen down there!
Curtis@advmotors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 04:29 PM   #21

turns out the headers just have a really shitty sound to them
also they sent me the one the 1.8 instead of the 1.7
im gonna take em off put the stock back on and get soem dc headers sometime

Old 06-04-2009, 04:52 PM   #22

need an opinion
dc headers on ebay i found a seller selling them for 275 for gs and gsr, but i dont no how much the shipping is and if it willl actually fit
for should i buy it from a shop which is 400 something+taxes but knowing it will fit

Old 06-05-2009, 11:31 PM   #23

The GS is not the same as the GSR. You'll most likely run into the same issues you're having now, with fit, etc.

My advice would be to stay the hell away from ebay. At least for now. Sell your Megan headers to someone with a 'regular' DA teg so you can get some of your $$ back. Then buy a proper header from a local shop. That way if there is any issues, they'll be able to help you.
Old 06-06-2009, 12:11 AM   #24
RS Veteran

Support your local shops and they will in turn, support you when you need it.

Old 06-06-2009, 01:23 PM   #25

well on the dc website it says the headers are for the gs/gsr and it fits all of them
so im not sure
only thing is ebay has it for 275 and shops for 400 something
but if its the wrong one the 275 could turn out to be 400 aswell
hopefully i won some dinero on my 649 ticket