REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Police Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/police-forum_143/)
-   -   VPD vs. RCMP (https://www.revscene.net/forums/577045-vpd-vs-rcmp.html)

JL9000 05-26-2009 08:44 PM

VPD vs. RCMP

Is there any reason why people normally don't get targeted and pulled over by the VPD for driving legally modified cars? Richmond RCMP, on the other hand, pulls people over all the time to perform visual inspections for illegal modifications even with stock cars. This is a topic that always comes up in the automotive industry and I'd like know why myself. What is the incentive for the RCMP to target modified cars in general? I admit that some modified cars should not be allowed to operate on public roads but they really are minorities.

I'm actually looking for a serious discussion here so please do not post anything that isn't constructive.

johny 05-26-2009 09:00 PM

because VPD have better things to do, and most of the rice machines are in richmond.

JL9000 05-26-2009 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johny (Post 6438852)
because VPD have better things to do

Please back up your claim. What does VPD have to do that RCMP doesnt?

VPD does seem to focus more heavily in speed enforcement, which makes sense since they're out there actively targeting aggressive drivers.

And I find that although Richmond does have a higher concentration of modified cars, I see more rice rockets outside of Richmond.

NSX 05-26-2009 09:56 PM

I'm actually looking for a serious discussion

Please back up your claim

Please back up your claim as well.
What is your post based on? Your own observations or what people say?
Studies? Fact?
Id like to know myself as well.

JL9000 05-27-2009 06:29 AM

Well, I work in the automotive service industry, and this topic comes up quite often during conversions with people in the field as well as customers. I have customers that have been ticked for factory exhaust and HIDs among other things.

I asked johny to back up his claims because he didn't elaborate on what better things VPD has to do compared to the RCMP.

sho_bc 05-27-2009 05:58 PM

I find that the roads in Richmond are easier for enforcement than they are in Vancouver. I also find that generally speaking, VPD has a larger call volume than we do in Richmond. Perhaps that has something to do with the number of tickets people receive in Richmond than Vancouver?

5ive0 05-27-2009 06:32 PM

as far as i understand (through friends), the majority of general patrol members in the vpd are not interested in car mod related violations, unless they are obviously unsafe, and there is a general "leave it to the traffic guys, and lets catch some bad guys" attitude in the vpd.

where as in the RCMP the general duty members are encouraged to balance thier workload with traffic offences, and once you get started with those kind of tickets, its easier to write more, because you understand what is illegal and why...

obviously I have made some major generalizations, but its just my 0.02c ... dont ask me to "back it up" because I can't, its just what I have heard.

JL9000 05-28-2009 06:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sho_bc (Post 6440079)
I find that the roads in Richmond are easier for enforcement than they are in Vancouver. I also find that generally speaking, VPD has a larger call volume than we do in Richmond. Perhaps that has something to do with the number of tickets people receive in Richmond than Vancouver?

I don't think RCMP hands out more tickets. They just just seem to put a heavier focus on cars than motorists. Are there less crime in Richmond perhaps?

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5ive0 (Post 6440122)
as far as i understand (through friends), the majority of general patrol members in the vpd are not interested in car mod related violations, unless they are obviously unsafe, and there is a general "leave it to the traffic guys, and lets catch some bad guys" attitude in the vpd.

where as in the RCMP the general duty members are encouraged to balance thier workload with traffic offences, and once you get started with those kind of tickets, its easier to write more, because you understand what is illegal and why...

obviously I have made some major generalizations, but its just my 0.02c ... dont ask me to "back it up" because I can't, its just what I have heard.

The thing is, even the VPD traffic cops don't mind modified cars unless they're actually unsafe for the road. But the second part makes sense, because in any industry people naturally tend to find the easiest way to get past their workday. So what I'm getting at is why the difference in focus from the two departments? Does the RCMP evaluate the officers day based on how many tickets he hands out?

I've talked to VPD officers casually and they have revealed some things that RCMP officers I've talked to in person deny. But these guys don't work for the RCMP, so who knows if there's truth behind these accusations. So this may just remain one of those things that never gets figured out by us peasants until we join the force.

socialenemy69 05-29-2009 11:55 PM

I have talked to a few officers in my time as I work as a loss prevention officer. One interesting thing I heard is that the officers keep track of their stats and Im just wondering on how they are used or calculated ie. drunk drivers, domestic disturbances, shoplifters, assaults, traffic tickets...

ilvtofu 05-30-2009 08:41 AM

hmm, seems like the above said examples are more common in Vancouver than richmond. Just IMO, also seems like Richmond RCMP aren't all over the place unlike VPD which u see everywhere in Van

sho_bc 05-30-2009 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilvtofu (Post 6443999)
also seems like Richmond RCMP aren't all over the place unlike VPD which u see everywhere in Van

From the news article last week about how much $$$ some VPD officers are making, the number was 345 making over $100,000. We don't have that many members in Richmond, total.

fukkeneh240 05-30-2009 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JL9000 (Post 6440880)
Are there less crime in Richmond perhaps?

Wait until the skytrain opens up in Richmond. there will probably be an increase in property related crime, and maybe.. just maybe, they will focus less on minor MVA offences. :haha:

TheSalesman 06-01-2009 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fukkeneh240 (Post 6444170)
Wait until the skytrain opens up in Richmond. there will probably be an increase in property related crime, and maybe.. just maybe, they will focus less on minor MVA offences. :haha:

hopefully all the people from hastings and main area move to richmond. Then MAYBE I can drive in richmond....
Last year I insured my car which is obviously quite loud and modified, but I live in Vancouver and am rarely in richmond. But when I did go there, I got 2 VI in 2 months. While I drive in Vancouver everyday, I didn't even get pulled over once. But anyways...yeah.. VPD>RCMP.

JL9000 06-01-2009 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fukkeneh240 (Post 6444170)

The thing is though, writing MVA tickets really sound like riding the gravy train because half of the people, whether they deserve the tickets or not, won't bother disputing them, and the other half simply give the officers optional overtime. This sounds like a win win situation for the officers. :confused:

BNR32_Coupe 06-02-2009 08:06 AM

Im surprised the thread got this far without anybody mentioning constable Ing (not sure if I got that right). For those who dont know, this officer was T-boned and killed by a suspected street racer on number 3 road probably 5 years ago. This was a real eye opener for the police about street racing. Sure, drunk driving kills more every year, but street racing has some kind of stigma that hits harder to home to the non-car enthusiast.

Anyways, I suspect that this scarred the richmond RCMP in terms of the modified car culture (even though the guy who killed the officer was driving a relatively OEM car), and has led to a zero tolerance policy against street racing and subsequently, modified cars.

sho_bc 06-02-2009 10:27 AM

Cst. Jimmy Ng.

zulutango 06-02-2009 11:38 AM

I was fortunate to be part of his Honour Guard Troop in Regina at the memorial service and met his parents there. Very nice folks. A terrible waste and a terrible loss. :(

BNR32_Coupe 06-02-2009 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zulutango (Post 6448277)
I was fortunate to be part of his Honour Guard Troop in Regina at the memorial service and met his parents there. Very nice folks. A terrible waste and a terrible loss. :(

Sad story, but pulling over ricers for angled N signs won't bring him back.

sho_bc 06-02-2009 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BNR32_Coupe (Post 6448286)

People with angled N signs aren't pulled over for simply for having angled N signs.

zulutango 06-02-2009 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BNR32_Coupe (Post 6448286)

I'm sure his parents and friends would appreciate your sensitive comments. :mad:

JL9000 06-02-2009 09:39 PM

Street racing really isn't that common in Metro Vancouver I find. And when it does happen the cars involved look relatively stock. I'm as anti-street-racing as the next guy, but I don't really see how it relates so closely to modified cars.

BNR32_Coupe 06-02-2009 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JL9000 (Post 6449091)
Street racing really isn't that common in Metro Vancouver I find. And when it does happen the cars involved look relatively stock. I'm as anti-street-racing as the next guy, but I don't really see how it relates so closely to modified cars.

you should rent the fast and the furious. it sucks but it's the movie that caused the modified cars = street racing stigma

and richmond RCMP don't take too kindly to apparent would-be street racers in modified cars.

Supafly 06-03-2009 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BNR32_Coupe (Post 6449282)
you should rent the fast and the furious. it sucks but it's the movie that caused the modified cars = street racing stigma

and richmond RCMP don't take too kindly to apparent would-be street racers in modified cars.

street racing in richmond was a problem way before the fast&furious movie was produced...there were actual real gatherings just like the movies in the 90's...
The movie just made it more open to the public, and the fad of modifying for the sake of modifying became mainstream.