REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Suspension, Brakes , Wheels & Tires Tech (https://www.revscene.net/forums/suspension-brakes-wheels-tires-tech_191/)
-   -   Intalled new pads--not fully touching rotor??? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/577194-intalled-new-pads-not-fully-touching-rotor.html)

Razr 05-27-2009 10:02 PM

Intalled new pads--not fully touching rotor???

Hi guys,

I just changed my front and rear brake pads and noticed that my rear pads (on both sides) do not seem to touching the rotor completely. It looks as if though the pads are gripping the outer edge more than the inner as on the inner edge they barely take off the morning rust. I can't say 100% that they are not touching completely...but I'm assuming since I can still see some rust on the inner part they are not touching hard enough.

Is this normal for new pads until they break in a bit?

I noticed that my old rear pads were slanted a bit (maybe 0.5mm differnece btwn inner/outer edge)

any input much appreciated

Alphamale 05-27-2009 10:49 PM

Were your slider pins fucntioning fully and smoothly?

Iceman-19 05-27-2009 10:54 PM

How old are your rotors? They probably need to be turned. Slider pin servicing is probably required as well, since the average internet mechanic never thinks and/or knows about that part.

Razr 05-27-2009 11:12 PM

slider pins seemed fine...car has 50k on it
I'll prolly get my rotors resurfaced on friday didn't have time to do that when doing pads.

you guys know of a place that will resurface rotors for cheap? If I take them off and bring them to the shop whats the going rate for resurfacing?

thx for your comments. much appreciated

slammer111 05-28-2009 03:44 AM

No biggie. Sounds like you did the pads and not the rotors.

They'll wear in and start functioning properly with regular use. You *could* get the rotors turned but imo it's not mandatory. We're talking about your rears here, not the fronts. I'd save myself the cash.

?NR 06-21-2009 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Razr (Post 6440623)
slider pins seemed fine...car has 50k on it
I'll prolly get my rotors resurfaced on friday didn't have time to do that when doing pads.

you guys know of a place that will resurface rotors for cheap? If I take them off and bring them to the shop whats the going rate for resurfacing?

thx for your comments. much appreciated

pm !SG

alex.w *// 06-23-2009 06:24 PM

try sanding the pads?

skyxx 06-23-2009 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by !NiteRaven (Post 6475657)
pm !SG

Shoei has a brake lathe? :eek:

Razr 06-24-2009 04:32 PM

drove for about 3 weeks now and everything is fine now...I guess it just needed time to "break in"