REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Suspension, Brakes , Wheels & Tires Tech (https://www.revscene.net/forums/suspension-brakes-wheels-tires-tech_191/)
-   -   Brake pedal pressure in a 2000 Impreza TS (https://www.revscene.net/forums/577665-brake-pedal-pressure-2000-impreza-ts.html)

orange7 05-31-2009 10:09 PM

Brake pedal pressure in a 2000 Impreza TS

Need help for this specific model.

*EDITED everything after giving it a test drive myself
The braking strength and pressure in my cousin's year 2000 impreza ts are really weak.
You have to step down quite a bit compared to a TSX. You don't need to floor the pedal to feel the brakes kicking in, but you're like stepping down 2/3 from its original position to the ground. On top of that, the braking strength is quite weak; you don't really get that sudden stop for those emergency sitautions. The problem isn't at the brake pads since they are quite new and still have a lot of meat.

So here are the two situations:

1. I asked my cousin why is it like this.
He told me it has always been like this when he got his car brand new from the dealership.

2. The car buyer who took a quick test drive.
He told me that the master cylinder (Whatever that is) needs to either be repaired or replaced.

So my question is: is the braking in a impreza ts suppose to be weak? (note: it has drums for the rear)

Either one of them is lying to get a better price and taking an advantage that I don't know shit about cars, or one of them just doesn't know his car facts.

What do you guys think? Should I ask the dealership about this issue? Then again, those ppl who work at dealerships are more newbs than those cs players with 20deaths and 2kills.

Alphamale 05-31-2009 10:25 PM

It depends on what car you're using as a reference point. To know if the M/C is hosed, if you're stopping from speed and you pump it a second time and the pedal gets firmer, the M/C needs to be replaced. Also, has the brake fuild been changed recently?

orange7 05-31-2009 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alphamale (Post 6446016)
It depends on what car you're using as a reference point. To know if the M/C is hosed, if you're stopping from speed and you pump it a second time and the pedal gets firmer, the M/C needs to be replaced. Also, has the brake fuild been changed recently?

Wait.. so let me get this straight..

To test if the M/C is the issue, I need to stop from speed and pump the brake pedal two times. If the brake pedal gets firmer on the second time pumping the pedal, then the M/C needs to be replaced.
Hmm.. how much time should I allow between the two pumps on the brake pedal?

I'm not sure when was the last time the brake fluid was changed, but how will the brake fluid affects the brake pedal's pressure?
Could it be a lack of brake fluid and if so, how do i check?

orange7 05-31-2009 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alphamale (Post 6446016)

just went out to test it.

the pressure felt the same for the second time pumping the brakes at 60km/h.

here is a new question, is the braking strength suppose to be weak for an impreza ts (year 2000)?

Alphamale 05-31-2009 10:58 PM

Yes, from movement to a full stop. Doesn't need to be super fast or anything. Just pump twice, if it get's noticably firmer on the 2nd pump, then the M/C is bad.

Brake fluid will affect braking performance and a mushy pedal (sorta). Pop open the hood, look @ the reservoir that is closest to the driver side. It should be a translucent reservoir and you'll see the brake fluid (supposed to be yellow/clear). If it's dark and dirty like a mexican, it's time to get that stuff flushed.

orange7 05-31-2009 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alphamale (Post 6446087)
Yes, from movement to a full stop. Doesn't need to be super fast or anything. Just pump twice, if it get's noticably firmer on the 2nd pump, then the M/C is bad.

Brake fluid will affect braking performance and a mushy pedal (sorta). Pop open the hood, look @ the reservoir that is closest to the driver side. It should be a translucent reservoir and you'll see the brake fluid (supposed to be yellow/clear). If it's dark and dirty like a mexican, it's time to get that stuff flushed.

wait.. so when should i make the second attempt to pump the brake pedal?

err.. this is what I did in order: accelerated to 60km/h, stepped on the brake pedal till I slow down to 55km/h, released the brake pedal for 1.5-2secs, stepped on the brake pedal again and felt no difference.

Alphamale 05-31-2009 11:19 PM

Try to pump is successively. I guess I should have been more clear. So just hold it down the first time (slowing down the car), then a quick pump and continue to hold until a full stop. If the 2nd time you pump it the pedal feels firmer, the M/C needs to be changed.

I have run into some idiots asking me why their car's pedals feel so low..etc despite being a BRAND NEW CAR or a well functioning braking system. The questions what kind car are you comparing it to? This guy can basically go fuck himself (the buyer) if he doesn't know what the fuck he's doing.

nickmak 05-31-2009 11:30 PM

maybe the rear brakes need to be adjusted? also look under the brake master cylinder and see if you can see fluid running down the brake booster. a bad master cylinder doesn't have to have visual signs of failure though.

orange7 05-31-2009 11:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alphamale (Post 6446144)
Try to pump is successively. I guess I should have been more clear. So just hold it down the first time (slowing down the car), then a quick pump and continue to hold until a full stop. If the 2nd time you pump it the pedal feels firmer, the M/C needs to be changed.

I have run into some idiots asking me why their car's pedals feel so low..etc despite being a BRAND NEW CAR or a well functioning braking system. The questions what kind car are you comparing it to? This guy can basically go fuck himself (the buyer) if he doesn't know what the fuck he's doing.

the buyer claims he used to mod his cars when he was young. So i don't know. He could be just trying to trick my since he knows that I don't know shit about cars.

Hm.. it's too dark to check the brake fluid, but I think there were dark colour. I'll have to double check tomorrow morning as well as do the M/C check.

orange7 05-31-2009 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nickmak (Post 6446163)
maybe the rear brakes need to be adjusted? also look under the brake master cylinder and see if you can see fluid running down the brake booster. a bad master cylinder doesn't have to have visual signs of failure though.

no leakage for sure or else the buyer would've tried to lowball the price some more.

nickmak 05-31-2009 11:35 PM

when you pull the emergency brake, does the handle go way up?

Bonka 05-31-2009 11:37 PM

My friend has the exact same car, except it's a 2001, and his brakes require a lot of pedal effort also. I'd be inclined to say that is the way the braking system works in the Impreza. Actually, many cars I've driven (and 3 of the 4 I've owned) require a lot of pedal effort, so it's something to get use to, and not usually a problem with the car's braking system.

Alphamale 05-31-2009 11:49 PM

From what I remember as well, driving a 2.5 RS, I think the pedal is quiet soft.

Basically, I'd go tell the mother fucker he can eat shit off his mom's anus.

Edit: Btw, I notice you compared it to a TSX. NO COMPARISON AT ALL. The new Honda's/Acura have a relatively high and touchy engagement of brakes (I find, since I don't drive them all the time), compared to a lot of car out thurr.

Qmx323 06-01-2009 12:07 AM

Yep, in my mums CRV and even my '87 Accord the brake pedals are pretty tight and pretty sensitive, the guys 90% shitting u, just trying to get it cheaper. I've driven a 2006 E-class and even that thing needs a LITTLE more pressure than the Honda's. Obviously it does weigh a lot more lol.

orange7 06-01-2009 09:12 AM

just checked the brake fluid, and it is brown like this.

would the brake fluid affect the braking performance?
For some reason, this car's brake system is relatively weak (I'm not talking about the brake pedal pressure here) compared to year 2000 corolla.

orange7 06-01-2009 09:58 AM

fuk... the buyer is now saying that the M/C was just an educated guess, but he still assumes something is wrong since it feels so mooshy.

w/e... mod please close thread..

i'm pending the car for him at a reduced reduced price -__-

REDLINE REV 06-01-2009 11:54 AM

bleed all the brake fluid, replace (( top up ) with GUNK , buy at lordco.
dot 3 brake oil.
that should do better.

Alphamale 06-01-2009 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orange7 (Post 6446538)
fuk... the buyer is now saying that the M/C was just an educated guess, but he still assumes something is wrong since it feels so mooshy.

w/e... mod please close thread..

i'm pending the car for him at a reduced reduced price -__-

His educated guess can go fuck himself.

[RSX-S] 06-01-2009 07:20 PM

I've driven TS model around that year with fresh pads and fluid and the brakes feel soft like Alpha said. I think it's inherent in the car.