REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Maintenance, Engine & Driveline Tech (https://www.revscene.net/forums/maintenance-engine-driveline-tech_190/)
-   -   What is AFR tuning? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/577829-what-afr-tuning.html)

!Yaminashi 06-02-2009 10:40 AM

What is AFR tuning?

Is it Air fuel ratio tuning?
What is done to the car during this process?

I was on a nissan forum and another sentra guy mentioned getting an AFR tune done to gain more power

Does this have any negative effects?
Also where would I go to get this done?

I did a search for tuning but alot of the results involve boosted cars, mine is N/A, and probably will never be boosted
since its an auto :(

Sorry for my noobness

j1mmyi3 06-10-2009 06:59 PM

i wanted to know the same thing

bcrdukes 06-10-2009 07:08 PM

You'd need something like Ni$$$$$? (spellilng) or something along those lines such as a standalone ECU to do this. Oh, money, and dynotime. :)

ncrx 06-10-2009 07:16 PM

what year nissan do u drive and what is it.
a nistune will stick a daughterboard on the ecu and allow u to remap the fuel, ignition, injectors, map, etc etc.

you'll also need a wideband o2 sensor to remap your air fuel ratio's. you can get away with a streettune through datalogging.

innovate wideband approx 250$,
nistune approx 450$.
learning how to tune properly, lots of reading (free).

you should only be making minor adjustments neways, so u can do it yourself.

Leopold Stotch 06-10-2009 08:51 PM

Personally
you'd be spending too much for any real gains

!Yaminashi 06-10-2009 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cakeTech (Post 6460455)
Personally

Yeah I figured :(
To answer the previous question my car is an 08 Sentra SE-R

I'm not looking for huge power gains, but it was just suggested that its more worth the money to tune than to get bolt ons

!Tigger 06-10-2009 10:48 PM

intake + full exhaust... then cams + tune.... good NA set up

ncrx 06-11-2009 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cakeTech (Post 6460455)
Personally

i'd have to disagree.. a good ecutune can realize gains everywhere as well as improvement in fuel economy and driveability.

what i don't get is people are willing to drop 6-700$ on an exhaust for 5hp, but an ecutune will give them more than that for the same price, not just that, with a programmable ecu, you can continually retune to match your modifications.

but watever tickles ur pickle

!Yaminashi 06-11-2009 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ncrx (Post 6460972)
i'd have to disagree.. a good ecutune can realize gains everywhere as well as improvement in fuel economy and driveability.

what i don't get is people are willing to drop 6-700$ on an exhaust for 5hp, but an ecutune will give them more than that for the same price, not just that, with a programmable ecu, you can continually retune to match your modifications.

but watever tickles ur pickle

So where would I go to get all of this done?
Currently the only "mod" i have is a tanabe axle back, I plan on getting an intake in the near future

ncrx 06-11-2009 03:24 PM

i just reread your post and realized you have a 2008 se-r.

Your options are probably limited to the standalone expensive stuff, ie Aem. The cheapest option would be a piggy back which doesn't always work as well but still can work ie. greddy emanage ultimate/blue or apexi safc. I don't know whats available for such a new car.

Leave it as is, you'd probably be voiding your warranty.

Lomac 06-11-2009 04:31 PM

I'd have to personally tell you to stay away from piggybacks. I've never been a big fan of them, as all they do is "trick" your ECU into thinking your car is running leaner or richer at various points. An ECU flash or stand alone will provide much more long term stability with proper tuning. Of course, this will completely void your warranty, assuming you're concerned about that.

As well, even though most people doing AFR tuning tend to run FI or ITB setups, the information within those posts and threads are still completely usable for NA engines as well. OEM ECU's from the factory naturally run rich, leaving a fair bit of room for tuning. Depending on the vehicle, you can actually see quite a difference in both fuel economy and power gains by simply tuning your AFR. The other advantage of doing this is that you've already got the means to do quick tunes in case you ever do decide to throw in a bigger cam or some other big "bolt on's."