REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Food & Fine Dining

Food & Fine Dining Hungry? Come on down to Wings - Fun, Food and Drinks.
Top Restaurants in town? Got a good recipe to share? Share culinary info or post up photos of your delicious dish. #revsceneVLS

Old 06-02-2009, 03:34 PM   #1
nns
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,843 Times in 553 Posts
Fish On Rice review

Unbelievable:
Quote:
Manager threw change at guests
Burnaby's Asian restaurants are known for their popularity, but not their service. Expecting that, this topped all previous bad customer service.
After receiving a poor tip, the manager came and stood next to our table of four, and waited for us to leave. Although this was closing time, there were about 4 other tables calmly dining. He gave us BACK our tip in change, ,(although we payed in debit). Seeing this act of furiousness, we explained to him why we gave a bad tip, calmy, since all of us there worked in restaurants.
Hearing our complaints, the MANAGER, only looked up at the ceiling and said THANK YOU, in an annoyed and childish manner.

we left, but leaving the tip on the table. the manager may not have wanted it, but the waitress might still have apreciated it.

THe manager took the tips, which were in small change, AND THREW THEM BACK AT US WHILE CUSSING IN CHINESE!!.

This is the manager, with no one above him to complain about. Food makes up 50% of the a good dining experience. THe rest is Costumer service, the atmosphere, and the environment... The customer service, would have received nothing about a 0/10
http://dinehere.ca/restaurant.asp?r=732#41787

Quote:
The service is VERY poor. Do not expect any good - or even adequate customer service as none of the servers are very helpful. The waitresses walk right by you and leave "thank-you's" hanging in the air. And don't forget to give them big, fat tips, either. My friends and I were humiliated today when we didn't give them the customery 10% tip today. To be honest, I hadn't expected the bill to be at the amount it was today and none of us brought any change. The bill came to a few cents more of a whole number and I had just enough. But when we were about the leave the cashier screamed at us to come back and kept insisting that "tip was not included". He yelled at my friend, in a obnoxious tone, "Haven't you been to a restaurant before? This isn't Burger K*ng!! You pay tips!" Humiliated, we stood in front of the counter, red-faced and almost to tears, trying to dig pennies out from pockets, while the whole restuarent looked on as another waiter slammed the black bill tray right before us.
Now, to be fair, the food was pretty good and the menu has a nice variety of Japanese dishes. The wait is short considering how busy the restaurant usually gets. But unless you have some extra cash to tip the rude servers, there are plenty of japanese restaurants for you to dip your chopsticks in.
Advertisement
Old 06-02-2009, 04:02 PM   #2
Banned (ABWS)

consider that the manager is a cheapskate who doesn't want to add another personnel to the service

i worked in small restaurants where i was the only waiter and it aint easy

u cant expect great service from asians any ways
liu13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 04:09 PM   #3
Say NO to blade grinders!

Thanked 1,256 Times in 580 Posts
lol thats a pretty interesting story.

The one on broadway seems to have way better service.
Expresso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 04:09 PM   #4
CRS
ninja edits your posts without your knowledge

Thanked 6,310 Times in 1,777 Posts
Quote:
The service is VERY poor. Do not expect any good - or even adequate customer service as none of the servers are very helpful. The waitresses walk right by you and leave "thank-you's" hanging in the air. And don't forget to give them big, fat tips, either. My friends and I were humiliated today when we didn't give them the customery 10% tip today. To be honest, I hadn't expected the bill to be at the amount it was today and none of us brought any change. The bill came to a few cents more of a whole number and I had just enough. But when we were about the leave the cashier screamed at us to come back and kept insisting that "tip was not included". He yelled at my friend, in a obnoxious tone, "Haven't you been to a restaurant before? This isn't Burger K*ng!! You pay tips!" Humiliated, we stood in front of the counter, red-faced and almost to tears, trying to dig pennies out from pockets, while the whole restuarent looked on as another waiter slammed the black bill tray right before us.
Now, to be fair, the food was pretty good and the menu has a nice variety of Japanese dishes. The wait is short considering how busy the restaurant usually gets. But unless you have some extra cash to tip the rude servers, there are plenty of japanese restaurants for you to dip your chopsticks in.
This one is just stupid. I hate to say it but that particular customer is just an idiot. The bill was more than I had expected? Did you not read the pricing and just went in?

This is like going into a restaurant and realizing you don't have your wallet after you've eaten.

I am in no way defending fish on rice. Their Kingsway location is terrible but their broadway location is actually pretty good.

My FeedBack 53-0-0
CRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 04:33 PM   #5
The RS Anchorman

^ Yeah heard horror stories from the MT location......
wahyinghung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 04:48 PM   #6
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

i went to the metrotown location a few times... the food there is very good to my liking but the service there is pretty bad... but then again i cant realy complain cuz its all you can eat and its flying busy on sundays. they bring out food randomly... for instance i ordered chicken wings and miso soup and a bunch of others and the first thing that comes is chicken wings... now i ask myself how does that work out?

all in all id go again.
Nvasion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 10:19 PM   #7
Director of RS Cares

i base my tips on how good service was. if the service was poor then i leave less. if it was good then i leave more. simple as that.

to that first commenter, i would have taken the tip he tried to give back only because he was throwing a fit that they didn't give enough. hey, if you don't want it--fine. clearly they didn't deserve it.
Old 06-02-2009, 11:33 PM   #8
Banned (ABWS)

Again, I don't understand why everybody feels that a minimum 10% tip is gauranteed? When someone in another profession does a good job for you, do you give them a tip?
Jermyzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 01:09 AM   #9
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Well, I guess that most people don't really care about the service and just kept going back to eat so why would they feel like they need to improve their service. Guess that's why places like this still get lots of business. When it's cheap enough, no one really care about the service. I've been there once and would NEVER NEVER go back there again. Too many AYCE places to subject myself to random order filling and bad services.
Old 06-03-2009, 02:49 AM   #10
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

Ehh I'm on the fence with this topic as I've been waiting several years. I do understand why the staff would get angry at getting little - no tips. Since waiters have to pay sales back to the company if their tips are really bad sometimes they do have to pay back the company out of their own pockets. So i can usually sympathize and do pay at least 10% if the service isn't horrible.

However, that being said I have been to the fish on rice on broadway. My friend made a mistake paying in debit and the manager/cashier did the same thing. He flipped out on him until he paid the 10%.

I think the bottom line is, there really isn't any rule that says you have to pay tips. And that its plain unprofessional to throw a fit if people don't pay you what you expect them to. Especially if the service sucked. If they really have this problem then just tag on a service charge to everyones bills its as simple as that.
Moratorium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 08:51 AM   #11
SFICC-03*

Thanked 2,454 Times in 987 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRS View Post
This one is just stupid. I hate to say it but that particular customer is just an idiot. The bill was more than I had expected? Did you not read the pricing and just went in?

This is like going into a restaurant and realizing you don't have your wallet after you've eaten.

I am in no way defending fish on rice. Their Kingsway location is terrible but their broadway location is actually pretty good.
theres no situation where its justified to yell or humiliate a customer over tips...
ebei almost did a similar thing to me and my friends after they underbilled us and then chased after us as we were getting in our cars, demanding that we pay for their mistake.. whats with chinese sushi joints? i try to avoid them and ayce like a plague.. the service is never good (chinese places in general)... nor is the food.
unit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 09:37 AM   #12
CRS
ninja edits your posts without your knowledge

Thanked 6,310 Times in 1,777 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit View Post
theres no situation where its justified to yell or humiliate a customer over tips...
ebei almost did a similar thing to me and my friends after they underbilled us and then chased after us as we were getting in our cars, demanding that we pay for their mistake.. whats with chinese sushi joints? i try to avoid them and ayce like a plague.. the service is never good (chinese places in general)... nor is the food.
If you read the review, the individual is clearly trying to justify his non-tipping with "I had just enough" like he didn't know what he was getting himself into. If you don't want to pay the tip, don't. But making excuses about lacking or having just enough money seems like a cover.

If he had not mentioned that part, I would not question his story but seeing as he focused an extensive amount on that, I doubt it was only because of the service he didn't tip.

My FeedBack 53-0-0
CRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 10:52 AM   #13
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

being a manager in a restaurant in my early years, i would go up to the table which left less than 10% tip and explained it was not mandatory but highly appreciated; also, take that chance as an opportunity for improvement to find out if there were any particular issue the customer(s) were not happy about.

like Moratorium said, in most restaurants the waiters had to "tip out", as in pay a certain percent based on their total sale to others (Kitcken members, Manager(s), Brake & Damage) before they can take home all their tips. In another words, if a waiter get no tip from a table, he/she is acutally losing money to tip out from his/her own pocket.

regardless, throw back at the customers is a no-no ...

remind me of a real conversation between a waiter and a customer back then ...

w: the service i provide is excellent and i found the $5 tip you left me out of this $100 bill is an insult

c: so how much should i tip?

w: 10% of $100 is $10, since you already gave me $5, why dun you tip me another $5?

c: no, i dun want to insult you again

w: ........ FUUUUUUUUUU

Quote:
Originally Posted by JL9000 View Post
this is the internet and everyone knows better about what happened sitting behind a desk than the people who are actually involved.

Last edited by buddy; 06-03-2009 at 11:19 AM.
buddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 11:05 AM   #14
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

they have free pop haha
Durrann1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 01:12 PM   #15
RS controls my life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddy View Post
remind me of a real conversation between a waiter and a customer back then ...

w: the service i provide is excellent and i found the $5 tip you left me out of this $100 bill is an insult

c: so how much should i tip?

w: 10% of $100 is $10, since you already gave me $5, why dun you tip me another $5?

c: no, i dun want to insult you again

w: ........ FUUUUUUUUUU
haha, funny
MikeyStyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 02:35 PM   #16
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddy View Post
being a manager in a restaurant in my early years, i would go up to the table which left less than 10% tip and explained it was not mandatory but highly appreciated; also, take that chance as an opportunity for improvement to find out if there were any particular issue the customer(s) were not happy about.

like Moratorium said, in most restaurants the waiters had to "tip out", as in pay a certain percent based on their total sale to others (Kitcken members, Manager(s), Brake & Damage) before they can take home all their tips. In another words, if a waiter get no tip from a table, he/she is acutally losing money to tip out from his/her own pocket.
We understand. BUT, here's a big BUT. That's not our problem. The compensation structure of waiter/kitchen staff & what not is not the responsibility of the customers. It's the relationship between u & ur employer. Therefore, just because you, as a waiter, have to pay tips to kitchen staff does NOT justify that customers HAVE TO pay you at leat 10% tips.

I would really like some input from people working in the food industry cuz the way I see it, it's just encouraging employers to squeeze their employee and transfer the cost to customers.

How I wish I can remain ignorant, why do I know so much?
q0192837465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 02:58 PM   #17
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 2,343 Times in 971 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jermyzy View Post
Again, I don't understand why everybody feels that a minimum 10% tip is gauranteed? When someone in another profession does a good job for you, do you give them a tip?
Yes you are right, there is no guarantee you get a 10 % tip, but when was the last time you went to a restaurant and not tip a dime at all.

i do have to agree with CRS. i'm guessing the bill was 19.75 and you only wanted to put down a 20 hence the "didn't expect to become that much". again this is just a guess.

I know if we got a bad tip you expect 10% but to show the lack of professionalism. I mean seriously; asian place for 40 dollar meal and you didn't get 4 dollar tip, ghezzzz i rather let it go than get bad rep. from all of it.

PS: the review is so bad i want to see how bad it is.

Last edited by 6793026; 06-03-2009 at 03:11 PM.
6793026 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 12:56 AM   #18
I don't get it

In Europe and Asia leaving a tip is almost unheard of. A lot of places don't leave tip if they do its like $1. I get that waiters live off their tips and crap but be happy your getting any at all. Good service = tip. Bad service = no tip. Simple as that.
I've been working in the restaurant inustry for over 9 years now and went to school for this crap. Servers in North America are just plain spoiled and half the time don't deserve to be tipped at all. Sometimes when a guest leaves a tip I want to give it back because my staff gave such a shit job. How bad is that when the manager wants to give back your tip because they didn't believe you got the best service. Working in Vietnam is shit. Beyond shit. I never worked in such a shit place before and its a famous hotel in Vietnam. These fuken retards even forgot to pick up the head office people at the airport. Im jsut bloody happy as hell that tomorrow is the last day of my contract and I get to leave finally.

I had 1 server tell me that rat shit was sesame seeds ... BIG PIECES OF RAT SHIT my boss is always like OMFGMOFGFFFFGOMFGOMFG in French. Really feel bad for the guy ... hahahahaha
imiaKe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 01:27 AM   #19
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

Quote:
Originally Posted by q0192837465 View Post
We understand. BUT, here's a big BUT. That's not our problem. The compensation structure of waiter/kitchen staff & what not is not the responsibility of the customers. It's the relationship between u & ur employer. Therefore, just because you, as a waiter, have to pay tips to kitchen staff does NOT justify that customers HAVE TO pay you at leat 10% tips.

I would really like some input from people working in the food industry cuz the way I see it, it's just encouraging employers to squeeze their employee and transfer the cost to customers.
Thats true. I mean its pretty BS that waiters have to pay from THEIR OWN tips, thats the main reason servers are so sensitive to tippage. The employers should just tag on the extra charges to the food that the waiters are 'supposed' to pay back as sales.

Either that or tag on a 'service charge' to everybodys tables. A set % for service charge that has to be paid, then noone has to decide how much to pay etc etc. The main gripe with people and tips is that they're expected to pay it but its not necessary to do so. Then why not just eliminate that expectation. Put the tip% as a service charge on the bill plain and simple, people have to pay it as a part of their bill so its mandatory. This works for people out of town who come in as well from Asia and Europe so they don't unknowingly screw over waiters because they aren't used to NA customs.
Moratorium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 07:03 AM   #20
Banned (BBM)

lets just put it this way

western restaurant, tip yes

chinese restaurant? FUCK NO, leave a penny and its more than enough

japanese / korean are usually not too shabby

PHo? hmmm i dont know, not really a service but watever, i eat there a lot so the last thing i would want is somebody fucking with my food
Mugen EvOlutioN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 08:59 AM   #21
SFICC-03*

Thanked 2,454 Times in 987 Posts
^korean restaurants are usually super understaffed and have terrible service... waitresses are usually students and i swear they're trained to ignore you most of the time.

which is surprising because the service IN korea is amazing everywhere u go, and you dont tip.
unit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 10:14 AM   #22
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,812 Times in 2,501 Posts
i'm surprised the person that had change thrown at them didn't grab a glass of water or something and throw it in the manager's face. that story is almost unbelievable.

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 04:42 PM   #23
I don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by unit View Post
^korean restaurants are usually super understaffed and have terrible service... waitresses are usually students and i swear they're trained to ignore you most of the time.

which is surprising because the service IN korea is amazing everywhere u go, and you dont tip.
I agree with you on that ... Plus even if you do try to tip the server comes running back out yelling "YOU FORGOT YOUR CHANGE!!!!"
imiaKe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 10:00 PM   #24
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Who wants to have a revscene meet at fish and rice? We'll be like 50 people deep and at the end we'll leave a one cent tip for the entertainment factor. Or we could split up in gorups of 5 and do it at the same time while someone else films the reactions and puts it on youtube.
Death2Theft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 10:16 PM   #25
RS controls my life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Death2Theft View Post
Who wants to have a revscene meet at fish and rice? We'll be like 50 people deep and at the end we'll leave a one cent tip for the entertainment factor. Or we could split up in gorups of 5 and do it at the same time while someone else films the reactions and puts it on youtube.
haha, can't wait to see this
MikeyStyle is offline   Reply With Quote