REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vacations and World Travel (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vacations-world-travel_246/)
-   -   Going Camping (https://www.revscene.net/forums/578090-going-camping.html)

GTO-demon 06-04-2009 12:27 PM

Going Camping

okay...
so me and my girl friend are planning to go camping at the end of this month
and the two places we narrowed down are Maple bay and Entrance bay, since its right by Cultus lake water park.

Just wondering...has anybody been to any of these camp sites before??
We're probably just going to say 2 or 3 days.

Which one would you guys recommend??

!SG 06-04-2009 04:07 PM

errr, cultus is nice and all, but its very family oriented. the plot sites are fairly small and close to each other.

for somewhere close by, me and my buddies have always gone to golden ears. =) hoping for another good camping trip year!

JSilver 06-12-2009 09:53 AM

Don't mean to hijack your thread but I also plan on going camping but I have a large group of about 13 people heading up to Golden Ears Gold Creek. I'm about to make reservations and was told that my party would be broken into 3 groups (4 adults per campsite). I'm just worried that when we do get there, that our campsites will be very far apart.

Anyone experience this before?

jbsali 06-12-2009 10:46 AM

you should go camping in the states. national parks ftw! theres one in washington about 20min from tulalip and its on a small lake... dont remember whats its called though. Regardless, Oregon coast is the best place to camp but expect a 7-9 hr drive (its worth every second)

tkdwns89 06-12-2009 12:02 PM

simsimi1004 06-12-2009 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JSilver (Post 6462564)
Don't mean to hijack your thread but I also plan on going camping but I have a large group of about 13 people heading up to Golden Ears Gold Creek. I'm about to make reservations and was told that my party would be broken into 3 groups (4 adults per campsite). I'm just worried that when we do get there, that our campsites will be very far apart.

nope. about 1-2 years ago wheen i went with like 10 people we just stayed at 1 campsite and set up two tents.

last year i went back and that time we borrowed a group campsite, it had like a big hut with tables, and about half a soccer field of grass, dedicated for our use. you should ask about group camp site.

Also tmrw, i am going to pinecone burke provincial park. not far from golden ears.
at pinecone park, to reach the campsite we must canoe for like 40-60min. canoes are 100$ for 6 people canoe, per night. however campsite is free.

JSilver 06-13-2009 09:54 AM

Haha but that was 1-2 years ago. The person I talked to seemed like a dick too. How much was the group camp site? Now I have 15 people coming. I guess we'll be packing A LOT of food as well.

Quote:

Originally Posted by simsimi1004 (Post 6462792)
nope. about 1-2 years ago wheen i went with like 10 people we just stayed at 1 campsite and set up two tents.

last year i went back and that time we borrowed a group campsite, it had like a big hut with tables, and about half a soccer field of grass, dedicated for our use. you should ask about group camp site.

Also tmrw, i am going to pinecone burke provincial park. not far from golden ears.
at pinecone park, to reach the campsite we must canoe for like 40-60min. canoes are 100$ for 6 people canoe, per night. however campsite is free.

winson604 06-14-2009 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by simsimi1004 (Post 6462792)

I'm heading to Gold Creek as well. Technically speaking if your following their rules then yes each camp site is for 4 max people. I haven't gone in years so I'm not even sure if they have people who check or not. I;'m going with 6 people and were just gonna risk it and use 1.

woob 06-14-2009 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbsali (Post 6462630)
you should go camping in the states. national parks ftw!

+1 (although not necessarily national parks). Lately my favourite campsite has been Deception Pass State Park. It takes around the same time to get there as Seattle Premium Outlets.

Staying in BC, but on the Island, Horne Lake is a pretty sick spot. Takes a while to get to though. >3hr drive. You can go for a cave tour/full out spelunk if you're into that stuff. Also, canoeing on the lake is reall mellow.

!SG 06-15-2009 11:23 AM

ive gone camping in big groups too, not like 50+ ppl which u can get the group camping grounds. but like 20+ ppl.

each site is allowed 4 ppl and 2 cars max. you can find a few sites that are joined, as we call them double plots, so physically the area can hold 4 cars and 8 ppl. what we do is get as many camping spots around that area, and park the cars at the different plots BUT have everyone in the main big double plot. we end up having like 5 huge tents but it makes for more fun around the camp fire when you have that many.

just make sure u look at the map at golden ears (alouette late and golden creek) u can see which plots are "double plots"

thats what happened this weekend, we went early, well ok i went early like 7am on friday, booked the plot as its first come first serve, then left some camping equipment out there to show that its been purchased and paid for the weekend. we had 8 ppl and 4 cars.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JSilver (Post 6462564)

simsimi1004 06-15-2009 11:42 AM

Jsilver:
There are two group campgrounds available for reservations, by any group booking a minimum of 20 adults (5 parties), with a maximum of 50 adults (13 parties). A minimum booking fee applies and additional fees apply for extra parties. There is a covered shelter available at the Golden Ears group site only. The Alouette group site is located near the lake. Click here for reservation information.
Group Camping Fee: $24.00 per party / night
Youth Group Camping Fee: $50.00 per group / night

we went with like 10 people but minimum was 20 so we just paid for 20 people, which is still only 100$.

although the info divides people into "parties", your actually just using one big "field" and are not divided. the covered shelter also has like a dozen picnic tables.

for additional info.
http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/bcparks/exp...s/golden_ears/

!SG 06-15-2009 03:59 PM

i wrote a quick review, and i believe the group sites are walk in sites, so no cars allowed, near them.

JSilver 06-15-2009 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by !SG (Post 6466683)
ive gone camping in big groups too, not like 50+ ppl which u can get the group camping grounds. but like 20+ ppl.

each site is allowed 4 ppl and 2 cars max. you can find a few sites that are joined, as we call them double plots, so physically the area can hold 4 cars and 8 ppl. what we do is get as many camping spots around that area, and park the cars at the different plots BUT have everyone in the main big double plot. we end up having like 5 huge tents but it makes for more fun around the camp fire when you have that many.

just make sure u look at the map at golden ears (alouette late and golden creek) u can see which plots are "double plots"

thats what happened this weekend, we went early, well ok i went early like 7am on friday, booked the plot as its first come first serve, then left some camping equipment out there to show that its been purchased and paid for the weekend. we had 8 ppl and 4 cars.

The thing is, should I take the chance to NOT reserve and go there early to find a double plot? Me and my friends are going on a Sunday which is pretty much when the weekend people are leaving.

I spoke with a lady on the phone for reserving and was told that I should either reserve three spots for the amount of people I have with no gaurantee of being next to each other (Although she said that there is a pretty high chance of being across or near each other) OR come early on Sunday as we are allowed to occupy one spot with eight (8) people and get the remaining four (4) as close as possible. OR even find a "double plot" and it'll be good to go.

In the end its all about luck from how I see it.

!SG 06-15-2009 04:08 PM

here is the thing, i wanted to reserve, BUT the website that is doing the reservations is fucked! how can you login and put ur password in to make the reservations if you cant even register for a new account?!

so i called them, the lady didnt know, and then she told me they arent taking any reservations BEFORE jun 17th. but guess what, when i got there, there was a HUGE list of ppl that reserved.

What my understanding is, you can reserve a spot, but may not be able to reserve THE spot you want. its more like making reservations at a restaurant, you can book ahead, but you dont exactly book the table you want.

simsimi1004 06-15-2009 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by !SG (Post 6467074)
i wrote a quick review, and i believe the group sites are walk in sites, so no cars allowed, near them.

we had car. we even had our own gate that we had to close and open

!SG 06-15-2009 04:20 PM

damn, ok, im doing the group camping next time!!!

Xnova 07-31-2009 08:09 PM

do u guys have any good ideas where to go camping near a lake

flawless 08-02-2009 01:34 PM

^Alice Lake in Squamish?

wasabisashimi 08-20-2009 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by woob (Post 6465921)
+1 (although not necessarily national parks). Lately my favourite campsite has been Deception Pass State Park. It takes around the same time to get there as Seattle Premium Outlets.

Staying in BC, but on the Island, Horne Lake is a pretty sick spot. Takes a while to get to though. >3hr drive. You can go for a cave tour/full out spelunk if you're into that stuff. Also, canoeing on the lake is reall mellow.

whats so great about deception park? I am interested in first time going, please tell me the things to do there or.... tips.

thank you