REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 06-05-2009, 09:25 PM   #1
Say! Say! Say!

Thanked 3,215 Times in 1,398 Posts
Gundam Building Tips?

I decided to pickup a few Gundam kits today, and I'm just wondering if you guys had any tips so I can build one that looks pretty good.

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu...ideoid=4792084

From that video, it seems like it's really handy to have an airbrush as well as a fine tipped brush? For the little nubs that attach onto the plastic sheet, what's the best way to remove it? And for sanding down the edges, what type of grit would be recommended? And lastly, which place in Vancouver could I get my hands on some Gundam pens/paint. I bought my Gundams from Sakura Media, and I don't think I saw any of those (I'll check tomorrow).

Thanks
Advertisement
Razor Ramon HG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 10:04 PM   #2
(╯°□°)╯聽不到 ╮(°□°╮)

Thanked 11,196 Times in 2,276 Posts
Crystal Mall/Aberdeen has pens for sale
heres a blog u can check out
http://fudoushin.wordpress.com/

a pretty good gunpla blog..
tho he doesnt paint
if u do paint, then yes..i believe 1000grit is decent
Tim Budong is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-05-2009, 11:44 PM   #3
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,402 Times in 552 Posts
Don't even bother with the gundam markers. If you want to go, go hard and go all the way. If not, just build it nicely and be done with it. Half-assing one WILL show up Take it from someone that has spent way too much money on these kits.

A decent airbrush+compressor and some putty/sandpaper will go a LONG way. You need time and dedication to this. I have so many half-finished models its crushing to my soul.
Teriyaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 10:14 AM   #4
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

best advice is to take your sweet ass time with it, rushing to build it will only fuck it up son

member of the "Go To Jail For BoA Anytime Crew"
URA RENGE - Taijutsu Master of the Hidden Revscene Village

{o,o} ......ya rly!
/)__)
-"-"-
PSN: AznAlien
Grandmaster TSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 10:25 AM   #5
Banned By Establishment

DON'T GLUE YOURSELF TO THE TABLE.

But honestly, try not to get impatient. I know that 99% of people get impatient near the end of their projects and end up breaking things... etc..

Just take your time with everything and the effort will short.
Shun Izaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 10:53 AM   #6
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,064 Times in 555 Posts
hehe true true.. is it the 1/100 scale.. or the perfect grade ones.. >.> oo
dark0821 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 12:39 PM   #7
(╯°□°)╯聽不到 ╮(°□°╮)

so the only tip is take ur time..
bwahah

ok..the pens are useful if one knows how to use it well..if not, they turn out like crap

putty is use to fill lines...
if not, you can glue it together and the excess can be sanded off to fill the lines
Old 06-06-2009, 02:33 PM   #8
I STILL don't get it

i still have like 4 boxes waiting to be built -___-
Xnova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 11:08 PM   #9
Say! Say! Say!

I don't get what the putty is meant to do. Why would I need to fill the lines with it? I thought you just painted the pieces, and used the markers to add in color to the lines on the pieces?

I saw a bunch of tools today at that comic place next to Gamer's Workshop today in Metrotown, they had pretty much everything. They had paint in jars ($3), and spraycans ($8). Are they a good price or can I find better elsewhere? I take it I'd use the spray for pieces that need a coat, and the use a fine tip + the jar of paint for fine details?
Old 06-06-2009, 11:15 PM   #10

Putty is pretty advanced stuff. It's meant to fill in the panel lines you create when joining two pieces together. Sometimes there are "gaps" between those pieces (like on a shield) where its supposed to be relatively flat. You putty it, then sand it down then paint so the panel gap is gone!

Just take things one step at a time, don't expect a masterpiece on your first try and it'll be all good
This post thanked by:
Old 06-06-2009, 11:20 PM   #11
Media Officer / MOD

Thanked 5,751 Times in 1,724 Posts
I gave up on gumdam cause it takes wayyy to much time ... i had over 20 models before but I sold them all just cause it was getting way to addicting and my hands look like shit cause of the glue....
Quick link to personal reviews -> Website YouTube
Official Revscene Instagram Coordinator
!Aznboi128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 01:20 AM   #12
Say! Say! Say!

Thanks for the advice, I think I'll try on a new Gundam. I currently have a Wing Zero Custom from the Endless Waltz OVA completed, but not painted or anything, just clipped together. Would it better to paint a new Gundam or a pre-existing one? I want to get the Heavyarms Custom from the same OVA as well, so that's probably my next project.

Looks so nice, but I doubt mine will look that good, LOL.

Has anyone ever heard of Hobbywave? I did a Google for "Gundam Vancouver" and they were the first entry on the results page with a map to the location. Apparently they have a location on Production Way? From looking on the site, they have lots of varieties, and focus a lot on models, so it'd be nice to get to talk to some of the employees

EDIT: NVM, they don't do pickup
Old 06-07-2009, 01:30 AM   #13
I keep RS good

Thanked 5,539 Times in 1,502 Posts
lol, give me a break, PAINTING a gundam is shit simple in terms of painting models. look how big they are, you hardly have to highlight, you just need fine brushes, and fine motor skills and some time.
Ulic Qel-Droma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 04:14 AM   #14
(╯°□°)╯聽不到 ╮(°□°╮)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Notorious MSG View Post
Thanks for the advice, I think I'll try on a new Gundam. I currently have a Wing Zero Custom from the Endless Waltz OVA completed, but not painted or anything, just clipped together. Would it better to paint a new Gundam or a pre-existing one? I want to get the Heavyarms Custom from the same OVA as well, so that's probably my next project.

Looks so nice, but I doubt mine will look that good, LOL.

Has anyone ever heard of Hobbywave? I did a Google for "Gundam Vancouver" and they were the first entry on the results page with a map to the location. Apparently they have a location on Production Way? From looking on the site, they have lots of varieties, and focus a lot on models, so it'd be nice to get to talk to some of the employees

EDIT: NVM, they don't do pickup
painting isnt necessary nowadays. An older kit like the heavyarms will require a paint job. mainly where the canons are and such. Painting the model and have it look good WILL require putty to hide the seam lines.

if not, that blog i posted does have some pretty neat tutorials on building w/o the paint. Its better on the newer kits or the MG kits, but the 1/100 heavy arms and such are so garbage

Crystal mall has alot of older Wing kits

heres my MG Gouf Custom from like..many many years ago..painted, but wasnt too advanced so the seam lines were not covered..i am wayy better now

take the time to work, never rush

This post thanked by:
Old 06-07-2009, 05:54 AM   #15
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 1,357 Times in 508 Posts
Here is my tips for building gundams: Start with a big scale, something like 1:1 would be very easy to make it look realistic.

Without a crane, you can start to build it laid back on the ground like this, feel free to show off to a few of your friends:

And then you get a crane to stand it back up in the middle of your local park, like this:

If you can't find a crane large enough, you can hire some illegal immigrants from China and try to disassemble your finished Gundam from the ground, and put it back on a stand piece by piece. Make sure they don't replace your JDM tyte parts with Chinese knockoffs:

• 2017 Alfa Romeo Giula Q4
  • 1999 Nissan Stagea 260RS 1 of 748
  • 1998 Nissan Laurel Medallion Club S drift boi
  • 1991 Lexus LS400 mint boi
  • 1989 Nissan S-Cargo cute boi
hk20000 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-07-2009, 01:05 PM   #16
is best wrench

Thanked 1,208 Times in 272 Posts
anyone know where i can get an MG Unicorn Gundam Ver. Ka?
monkeywrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 01:08 PM   #17
Witness protection

Thanked 5,343 Times in 2,222 Posts
Quote:

holy hell... seriously? it's like someone bought bulk from costco and loaded up
thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 10:48 PM   #18
Say! Say! Say!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVOX View Post
anyone know where i can get an MG Unicorn Gundam Ver. Ka?
I saw that one at Crystal Mall's second floor in the front store display. I think they have it inside too.

I bought a bunch of supplies today from that same store. The stock is quite big, and there's a small section of paints that are a lot cheaper than the new Ages Three and Up at Metro. I haven't gotten any paints yet though, will probably get it later this week.

Now my next big question is that for spray painting the runners like in this tutorial (http://www.dannychoo.com/adp/eng/213...+Tutorial.html), how exactly do I tell which color to use on each part? Do I just look at the completed example on the side of the box, and compare with each part on the runners? And as for the color guide in the booklet, I can simply use those colors right?

Also, has anyone seen this locally? HG 1/144 Heavyarms Custom - Endless Waltz OVA. I checked both Crystal Mall and Metro. Maybe I can find it at the nightmarket?

Last edited by Razor Ramon HG; 06-07-2009 at 11:27 PM.
This post thanked by:
Old 06-08-2009, 09:27 PM   #19
is best wrench

Quote:
I saw that one at Crystal Mall's second floor in the front store display. I think they have it inside too.

I bought a bunch of supplies today from that same store. The stock is quite big, and there's a small section of paints that are a lot cheaper than the new Ages Three and Up at Metro. I haven't gotten any paints yet though, will probably get it later this week.

Now my next big question is that for spray painting the runners like in this tutorial (http://www.dannychoo.com/adp/eng/213...+Tutorial.html), how exactly do I tell which color to use on each part? Do I just look at the completed example on the side of the box, and compare with each part on the runners? And as for the color guide in the booklet, I can simply use those colors right?

Also, has anyone seen this locally? HG 1/144 Heavyarms Custom - Endless Waltz OVA. I checked both Crystal Mall and Metro. Maybe I can find it at the nightmarket?

thanks man, gonna head over there sometime and get me one of those, probably around 80-100 bucks @@

for the older kits like heavy arms, if they arent here locally, you might have to get them online
Old 06-08-2009, 10:18 PM   #20
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Has anyone seen the MG sinanju sold here? don't remember seeing it last time I checked out crystal
MY PENIS IS THE SIZE OF A CIGARETTE LIGHTER! jizzing on my keyboard is hard for me! imma be fucked for life, but fuck it I'm a BITCH!
hongy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 10:33 PM   #21

Theres this place called jhobby in Richmond in the mall with Supermarket 2000. They stock a bunch of older kits that places like Sakura usually don't have.
Old 06-08-2009, 10:42 PM   #22
Say! Say! Say!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVOX View Post
thanks man, gonna head over there sometime and get me one of those, probably around 80-100 bucks @@

for the older kits like heavy arms, if they arent here locally, you might have to get them online
I checked today for ya, and it's $65.99 It's called Toys Planet. There's actually two of them on the same floor, and I know for sure they have it in the one where the stock is on the right side and the counter on the left (younger cashier, not the old guy).
This post thanked by:
Old 06-08-2009, 11:05 PM   #23
?NR
MonoPod 1 of 3

Thanked 1,024 Times in 444 Posts
the old Hobbyplus owners setup shop at Admiralty Center in Richmond. Small shop but they have quite a bit of old and new kits.
?NR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 10:50 AM   #24
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

there used to be a gundamworkshop at taikoo centre in richmond next to admiralty, they gave some free building courses, learnt alot, using fine brushes and diluted black water based paint instead of gundam markers will fill the lines nicely without giving it a hard solid fake look. and use plastic cement and sand it down to fill the seams of when you connect two parts together without having to use putty....u can hardly see the lines after. then get a can of topcoat ( kinda like clearcoat ) that u can get in gloss, semi gloss, and matte without painting to achieve a textured look!! hope that helped..
RX8CER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 01:25 PM   #25
is best wrench

Quote:
I checked today for ya, and it's $65.99 It's called Toys Planet. There's actually two of them on the same floor, and I know for sure they have it in the one where the stock is on the right side and the counter on the left (younger cashier, not the old guy).
woot thanks man, just got me one

was 61.99 the titanium version is 91.99