REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Police Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/police-forum_143/)
-   -   Ticket Quota (https://www.revscene.net/forums/578457-ticket-quota.html)

Dan_Guy 06-08-2009 08:46 AM

Ticket Quota

Lets get this myth straight.

Do traffic officers actually have a daily/weekly/monthly/yearly ticket quota or is this just a stupid myth?

Always wondered this, I know everyone has.

TekDragon 06-08-2009 08:53 AM

Yeah, 45 tickets a month and they're put into a draw for a 42" LCD.

As I remember though, traffic members must make so many "contacts" a day. Contact not translating into ticket. Could be helping someone out, warnings, etc.

skidmark 06-08-2009 11:47 AM

Good one! :)

As I've said before here, the only quotas I've ever been subject to were no more than 30% of my tickets for speeding in Fort St. John and 30% speed, 30% seatbelts and 30% impaired driving in Parksville. The Parksville percentages meant time spent rather than number issued. Otherwise, all I had to do was show that I was being responsible for my time, as any employee should be.

5ive0 06-08-2009 01:32 PM

Well think about this: for cops in the traffic dept of big cities, tickets etc are a pretty good indication if they are working and being productive.

zulutango 06-08-2009 04:34 PM

Some tickets take more time than others. A due Care ti cket that leads to statements, interviews, crash scene investigations etc take a lot of time but only get you one stat. On the bother hand, it takes little time to write a seatbelt ticket. Like Skid said, a supervisor can tell if you are doing your job. A lack of tickets does not mean you are goofing off...although it can...a huge volume of tickets may mean that you are avoiding investigations...or that you work your ticket stubbs off. Let's see what files you are doing. An Impaired driver MVI can take several days of work just to process the paperwork, do the mv 6020, crash scene details, witness statements, and then the Report to crown. That alone can take you a good 10 hour shift. All this time you are not writing tickets or meeting any sort of quota.

Dan_Guy 06-08-2009 06:38 PM

So what I get out of this, is that to Some extent there Is a quota. It isn't 40tickets/month, but you have to keep it balanced I guess and it has to look like you are doing Something.

Am I right?

Five-Oh 06-08-2009 09:53 PM

In Richmond I have never had a quota. I can write as many or as few tickets as I want.

sho_bc 06-09-2009 05:00 AM

I hate MV6020s..... Although they've become a quick task these days.

The only quota we have on my watch is "Write more tickets!" if you only write 1 ticket in a month. With all of the down time we have some days/nights and the skill of the average Richmond driver, there is no excuse to only write one ticket in a month. That demonstrates a certain amount of laziness.

zulutango 06-09-2009 06:32 AM

"Accountablility" applies to what we do.....the level of proof is heaviest at the bottom of the food chain. The duty of a Traffic Member is to enforce traffic laws...how do you show that? By oerformance and resuts. The only actual number quota I had that I must reach was for impaired drivers. Fail to reach that & I would be transferred back to GD. There were percentages quotas for tickets written for particular offences. No actual minimum numbers required.