REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   fuking telemaketers... (https://www.revscene.net/forums/578883-fuking-telemaketers.html)

Psykopathik 06-11-2009 01:28 PM

fuking telemaketers...

so I get a call on my cell from an unkown (to me) #.

its a 1-800 320 9557 so im thinking its the bank or something. i don't answer any calls from people not in my phone book.

I look up the # in google and i get his shit:

http://whocallsme.com/Phone-Number.aspx/8003209557

apparently thes guys are leeches who try to become middlemen in selling whatever you happen top list on Craigslist or ebay, whatever.

strange thing is i never listed my phone number anywhere, not even on RS.

beware.
*note im not on Fido Either
BTW if you work for a telemarketing company of any kind, do me a favor. Close your eyes and walk into traffic.

quasi 06-11-2009 01:34 PM

Maybe I've been in a cave but I never knew that site existed, thanks.

cho 06-11-2009 01:34 PM

ive been getting one at 11am pretty much every day

googled the number and nothing =\

Euro7r 06-11-2009 02:02 PM

Just pick up and yell the crap out of them, I did that once. They never called again haha.

Kept calling me, got fed up with the random calls.

Your_Mother_ 06-11-2009 02:19 PM

Apparently some group hacked into Fido's servers and obtained a list of cell numbers... Now I have an automated voice calling every now and then telling me I've one a prize that is exclusive to fido (voice says "fid oh") customers...

Pain in the ass

El Bastardo 06-11-2009 03:10 PM

Mom get off the computer

woob 06-11-2009 03:30 PM

Well if Fido got jacked then this may not have any impact, but you can sign up for the national Do Not Call list if you haven't already.

https://www.lnnte-dncl.gc.ca/index-eng

I signed up a few days ago after being bombarded by calls/voicemails from "Alliance One" for a week.

Shun Izaki 06-11-2009 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Your_Mother_ (Post 6461416)
Apparently some group hacked into Fido's servers and obtained a list of cell numbers... Now I have an automated voice calling every now and then telling me I've one a prize that is exclusive to fido (voice says "fid oh") customers...

Pain in the ass

lol...

i doubt it.. most likely autodialers...

TheKingdom2000 06-11-2009 10:30 PM

hey, you know all those phone calls where it says you won a cruise or whatever?

is that just a scam ??

Topgrinder 06-12-2009 02:15 AM

yah im gettin a slew of telemarketers on my cell latley, annoying

YK86 06-12-2009 02:56 AM

Weird, I've been getting a lot of calls repeatedly from a 780-852-9957 or 780-852-9970 the past few days. It's usually during the day when I'm working so I don't answer but's annoying to have to erase the 5+ blank voice mails per day they leave.

InvisibleSoul 06-12-2009 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by woob (Post 6461510)
Well if Fido got jacked then this may not have any impact, but you can sign up for the national Do Not Call list if you haven't already.

https://www.lnnte-dncl.gc.ca/index-eng

I signed up a few days ago after being bombarded by calls/voicemails from "Alliance One" for a week.

Expect to get even more calls.

I don't know if they have changed anything, but basically it was revealed a few months ago that the Do Not Call list was having the REVERSE effect. Basically off-shore telemarketers would download that list and instead of using it as a blacklist, they would use it as their calling list!

7seven 06-12-2009 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InvisibleSoul (Post 6462563)
Expect to get even more calls.

I don't know if they have changed anything, but basically it was revealed a few months ago that the Do Not Call list was having the REVERSE effect. Basically off-shore telemarketers would download that list and instead of using it as a blacklist, they would use it as their calling list!

Yup it turned out that the CRTC was selling and providing the lists to non-resident businesses, since the do not call list only applies to Canadian resident businesses.

After I signed up for the DNCL, I began getting calls from 1-877-289-5108 almost every other day.

twitchyzero 06-12-2009 10:29 AM

dont bother picking up calls on your cell if it doesnt start with 604/778

03aspec 06-12-2009 10:34 AM

when they call back next time, ask them if they are comfortable with multiple dildos in the bum, if he/she is, give him/her the number to live links and ask to call you back at a later time.

Peturbo 06-12-2009 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 7seven (Post 6462600)
Yup it turned out that the CRTC was selling and providing the lists to non-resident businesses, since the do not call list only applies to Canadian resident businesses.

After I signed up for the DNCL, I began getting calls from 1-877-289-5108 almost every other day.

Awww fuck. No wonder I've still been getting fucking calls from telemarketers.

7seven 06-12-2009 12:50 PM

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNew...hub=TopStories

Quote:

After its launch last September, Canadians added more than 2.7 million phone numbers to the national do-not-call list.

But now, with nearly 6 million numbers registered, many Canadians who signed up are feeling duped because they're receiving more telemarketing calls than ever before.
Quote:

The problem is, anyone can pose as a telemarketer and obtain the list. If they're willing to break the rules, they could then call the numbers, which are all recent.

And if that list makes its way to a telemarketer outside Canada, the CRTC does not have the jurisdiction to stop them from calling Canadian numbers.

In_MODeration 06-13-2009 12:46 PM

do you guys ever get calls from autotrader telling you that they will help u sell your cars?

El Bastardo 06-13-2009 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mx703 (Post 6462131)

is that just a scam ??

Yeah. There was a thread where I called them back a few times in a row to ask them some questions but they kept hanging up on me.

They're kind of rude.

vitaminG 06-13-2009 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mx703 (Post 6462131)

is that just a scam ??

that one is actually legit, they sent me on a 10 day caribbean cruise, make sure you hit 9 next time they call!

TekDragon 06-13-2009 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dvxo (Post 6461393)
Just pick up and yell the crap out of them, I did that once. They never called again haha.

Kept calling me, got fed up with the random calls.

Don't do that. Its mean, rude, and these people are trying to make a living, albeit a poor one.

Here's what to do.
1) Get them off the script. Once they're off, they're easy prey.
2) Talk to them like a human being, ask them how they like their job, if they are happy, etc.
3) Convince them to quit, that anything is better than this. You will get resistance from them and excuses as to why.
4) Keep at it, and stay strong. If you can save one soul, it's worth it. Either that or convince them to walk out in front of a bus.

scheng924 06-13-2009 10:16 PM

i didn't put my # onto the DNCL because I didn't trust CRTC.. turned out I was right... it's so stupid.. how is it protecting canadians... *sigh*... gov't....