REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Automotive Detailing & Car Care Tech (https://www.revscene.net/forums/automotive-detailing-car-care-tech_49/)
-   -   Alternatives to Zaino (https://www.revscene.net/forums/579932-alternatives-zaino.html)

bcrdukes 06-20-2009 05:49 PM

Alternatives to Zaino

Hey folks,

For many years, I used Zaino to detail my car (93 SW20 MR2) which is pearl white. I still have that but picked up an E30 325i which is white as well but minus the pearl. I used to detail the MR2 once a year with Zaino (Z1/5/6XYZ etc blahblahblah) but it felt like a day's worth of chores. I would detail my car once a year in prep for DTP either a day or two before the show. The amount of time and effort was back breaking. Mind you, I don't detail cars on a regular basis.

I'm starting to run low on this stuff and I don't think there is enough to last me one car so I'm wondering if there are any similar products that will give my cars a "Zaino" shine, minus the Zaino time involved and the Zaino effort required. Any personal experiences and reviews appreciated!

Thanks in advance! :)

P.S. - Sponsors! I know you guys read these threads. I want your expert opinion on this! :D

Rated B 06-20-2009 07:09 PM

I once was a Zaino user myself, and too look for other alternatives as you described.

From what I see Zaino isn't used much anymore by professional detailers. Too much work and the cure time is way too long. Sounds like you need Duragloss.

I picked up some Duragloss #105 from Ken. Similar shine and ease of application, and the cure time is wipe on wipe off. Durability is up there as well. I didn't get the bonding agent (#601), but it also helps make it last even much longer.

bcrdukes 06-20-2009 07:47 PM

^
Thanks Rated B!

What kind of wax and polish would you recommend along with the Duragloss? Again, Zaino is just a PITA. 3 coats all over the car? Yeesh! :rolleyes:

Edit: I normally do a full detail on my car once a year only.

Rated B 06-20-2009 07:57 PM

I'm using Menzenra Power Finish (P203) on orange or white Lake Country pads for polish.
I'm topping the Duragloss with P21S Carnuba paste wax for the extra pop, however this wax will only last 4 weeks or so. If you're looking for durability since you do a full detail once a year, I'd recommend Collinte 845 or 476 carnuba. A coat of the Duragloss is advertised to last a year. It beads water very well.

Do you have red wheels or wheels with red lip on your MR2?

bcrdukes 06-20-2009 08:28 PM

^
No, sir.

I've got a white SW20 rolling on 17" Gunmetal SSR Competitions.

eFx[A2C] 06-20-2009 08:34 PM

Try Klasse AIO and Klasse SG.
Collinite 845 is really nice too.

snowball 06-21-2009 02:22 AM

Klasse AIO and SG
Optimum Poli-Seal w/ P21S on top

BrendanS 06-21-2009 10:02 AM

imo you cant beat collinite 845, for the price or ease of use. It's got great durability as well. 1 coat of it will last you through a long winter. I love using the stuff, but haven't tried many other waxes yet. But if you want a wax thats easy to apply and easy off then go for 845. For the Collinite 845, I really like how you can leave it on the paint for a long time and still buff off easily. Ken told me that, I never knew that before, but you can't do that with a lot of other waxes. So now when I do wax jobs I do the entire car and then buff it off. Makes it a lot quicker.

911fanatic 06-21-2009 07:35 PM

If you really want to have blinding white, start with DG 501 Marine/RV polish. Follow up with the 601 Bonding agent (you don't remove this-just leave it on) and finish with a coat or two of 105. The DG products are sooooooo easy to use and are highly underrated. You can also use Werkstat Acrylic Prime and follow up with Acrylic Jett Trigger. Two coats of the AJT will last 6 months. The best part is, on a car your size, its only about 30 minutes to add another coat so after you wash and dry your vehicle, its no big deal to add another coat whenever you want.

bcrdukes 06-21-2009 09:37 PM

^
I assume you sell all these products? If so, send me a PM with exactly what I need and I'll place an order with you. :)

hamsup 06-26-2009 11:23 AM

are these products as easy to use as P21S ?? i still have been using this stuff.. cuz its so easy to wax the entire car =D

bcrdukes 06-26-2009 11:32 AM

Ken was saying that it was a pretty simple process. I have no experience with P21S. I've heard great stuff about it but I don't have the time nor care to apply it on a regular basis.

Rated B 06-26-2009 07:45 PM

Duragloss 105 is very easy to use. I sometimes add another coat after washing the car, quick like P21S.

Xander 06-27-2009 11:32 PM

What about on a black car? I wouldn't mind something easier to use but I haven't really seen anything that has the same "chroming" effect that Zaino has.

Is the blackfire a decent and significantly easier to use alternative?

911fanatic 06-28-2009 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xander (Post 6485254)
What about on a black car? I wouldn't mind something easier to use but I haven't really seen anything that has the same "chroming" effect that Zaino has.

Is the blackfire a decent and significantly easier to use alternative?

Blackfire is very easy to use. Is the car solid black or a metallic? Bilt Hamber Auto Balm is a little tricky to use but on solid black is very rewarding. Very deep and wet looking like a carnauba but better longevity than Colli 476.

Xander 06-28-2009 10:23 AM

It's Infiniti Black Obsidian. I think it's just solid black?

So then the Auto Balm would be more warm looking? and the Blackfire/Zaino more cold looking?

Xander 06-28-2009 12:16 PM

Also... hahahaha look what came up as an ad http://www.powersidekick.com/

What a great idea...

911fanatic 06-28-2009 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xander (Post 6485568)
It's Infiniti Black Obsidian. I think it's just solid black?

So then the Auto Balm would be more warm looking? and the Blackfire/Zaino more cold looking?

AutoBalm is deep and wet while the Zaino will give solid blacks a plastic look. The Blackfire is closer to the Autobalm, especially if topped with Blackfire Midnight Sun Wax.

bcrdukes 06-28-2009 10:21 PM

Alright guys.

I just finished detailing the BMW and wow, what a workout! This is what I get in return for doing this only once a year!

1. Wash
2. Claybar
3. 501
4. 601
5. 105

I'd post pictures but it's too dark right now. Car is as Ken described it to be - blinding white. Car looks good and feels super smooth. Thank you so much, Ken! :)

bcrdukes 07-01-2009 02:39 PM

Quick bump.

It's been pretty sunny over the past few days and the car looks so much more better and the white definitely shines way brighter than before. Thanks again, Ken! :)

bikerx 07-01-2009 08:35 PM

pics!!!!

PS: ken , red miata, single stage , swirls galore what should i do? and my bumpers don't stay deep red very long.
i usually

Meguiars M09 Swirl Remover
Meguiars M26 Hi-Tech Yellow Wax

i guess my problem is keeping the wet look for long.

i bought some mothers carnuba stuff which works pretty good but once again they don't last long.

911fanatic 07-02-2009 07:21 PM

My guess is that the bumpers are a bit faded. The polish and wax you are using is reintroducing moisture to the paint in the way of oils etc so the colour comes back. To keep that look, you will probably have to polish them with a more abrasive polish to remove the top layer of dead paint and then rewax. You could also try using a glaze between the polish and wax. After the M09, maybe try some Megs 80 Speed Glaze before the yellow wax. Is the rest of the car maintaining the look you want? Overall it sounds like the entire car needs a good polish. Any pics?

bikerx 07-03-2009 02:09 AM

mm the rest of the car isn't that bad after a wash. but i just got some rust fixed, so it still has a bunch of dust and crap on it. i didn't want them washing my car.

i'll take some pics of it tmr. all the shots of my car , are all "photoshoots" not really look at my swirled paint shoot ;)

911fanatic 07-03-2009 09:09 PM

I'll be around the shop tomorrow (Sat)from 12 -5 if you want to pop by. Call me first at 604.561.5121 to make sure I'm there.