REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Should I be worried, or not? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/580667-should-i-worried-not.html)

ShanghaiKid 06-26-2009 10:36 PM

Should I be worried, or not?

Funny thing happened last night... well, atleast it occurred last night.

My parents have an enclosed garage with a locked side-door to allow access from the side of the garage.... and then inside my garage is another door that leads into my basement...

Both doors are kept locked when were either at home or not... but last night, inside our garage, my dad found a pair of old oversized k-swiss shoes, which belonged to neither him nor the rest of our family, and also realized that a pair of his running shoes were missing.

In place of where his running shoes were, were a pair of my nike shox, well over 150$ brand new, which had not been there to begin with... so they were moved to the shoe rack in place of the running shoes.

Aside from the missing running shoes, nothing else seems to be missing, and there's quite an array of much more expensive and valuable things to be found in this garage.

Now, I have 2 main concerns as a result of this strange occurance...

1. We are pretty adamant about locking our doors, but perhaps there was a slipup somewhere and the garage door was unlocked last night, so someone had access to our garage. That, or the door was picked. - either way, theres an obvious solution to this problem (and it will be addressed).

2. They only took a pair of running shoes, and nothing else. Could this be just some passing-by bum who somehow found their way into our garage and decided they needed some comfier kicks? I don't find this scenario too convincing, as my garage is pretty secluded behind my house between our street and a back alleyway. And even then, did they go around checking every house somehow? (our house is the only one on the block with an enclosed garage).

- or should I be concerned about a second bigger attempt at breaking in? I can't imagine it'd be worth the risk to break in if we noticed the first incidence of lost property.

edit: although im a bit more worried now as they have had a glimpse of the kinds of things we have in our garage...

TOPEC 06-26-2009 10:55 PM

are any of the outside door locks broken? any signs of picking? were u sure ur garage door (the one for cars) was closed? cause i see it happen very often that people forget to close the big garage door all the time.

Harvey Specter 06-26-2009 10:57 PM

Wow, that's pretty freaky to be honest with you. I suspect it's a bum in your area; I would keep an eye out for anyone in your area that looks suspicious.

ShanghaiKid 06-26-2009 11:06 PM

RX: i dont suspect the garage door was open, as im always the last one home from work/going out, so i personally make sure its closed (that and the fact that it was closed in the morning anyway). the side door lock doesnt look like its been tampered with either, it works completely fine... which leads me to suspect that one of my parents were absent-minded enough to have left it unlocked sometime during the day.

Jah: yea, definetly keeping my eyes peeled. the real weird thing about it is that i usually stay up really late, sometimes until my parents are awake, which means theres usually someone awake 24hrs a day (save for when were all out). Would swear id have heard something while it was happening.

R-kOO 06-27-2009 12:37 AM

1 time i was goin out at 10pm and noticed my side garage door was opened ... thinkin wtf .. went closer the door lock was pryed apart and the door and frame was all fucked ..
luckily they only took a weed wacker and nothing else...funny thing is my brother gets off school at like 9pm .. so bascially the guy came into my garage between 9-10pm which was pretty daring since its still early evening. Being curious i walked up my alley and what do i find??!?? a crowbar laying at my friends garage few houses away... i talked to him and guess what .. his garage was also broken into .. CURSE them all

cdtran 06-27-2009 01:20 AM

Ghost ? LOL sorry .. but yeah check everything out again .

AzNightmare 06-27-2009 02:57 AM

This is so bizarre.... hahaha

pandalove 06-27-2009 03:44 AM

I'd sleep in the garage with a baseball and pepper spray with a security camera recording then upload on youtube and get a lot of subscribers

StylinRed 06-27-2009 06:45 AM

raccoon or some other animal... that steals and replaces whats stolen with something else

or ghost

Shun Izaki 06-27-2009 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pandalove (Post 6484414)
I'd sleep in the garage with a baseball and pepper spray with a security camera recording then upload on youtube and get a lot of subscribers

lololol wow...

@SK: the area is pretty decent... i don't think it would be anything serious. If you want, take a lock from an inside room (if you have key locks inside). If not, just get a cheap one from walmart or sth, the kid that is chain, or a deadbolt (for the exterior door)

carmaniac 06-27-2009 09:37 AM

Do you have a sister?

CRS 06-27-2009 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carmaniac (Post 6484518)
Do you have a sister?

Ohhhhh snap.

I knew someone was going to go there.

The_AK 06-27-2009 10:30 AM

do you have a sensor at the garage door to sense if anyone is walking through the garage door while it closing?

http://www.checkthishouse.com/wp-con...d-too-high.jpg

124Y 06-27-2009 11:04 AM

If I were you, I would definitely keep my eyes open for any suspicious activities around your house.

ilvtofu 06-27-2009 11:12 AM

Maybe you had friends over and you totally forgot about it, and they were to drunk to know which shoes were theirs...

buddy 06-27-2009 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pandalove (Post 6484414)
I'd sleep in the garage with a baseball and pepper spray ...

i understand the pepper spray, but why a baseball? you pitch very hard?

Shun Izaki 06-27-2009 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buddy (Post 6484618)
i understand the pepper spray, but why a baseball? you pitch very hard?

so when you bring the bat, you can tell cops that you were just playing ball XD

shenmecar 06-27-2009 02:52 PM

Probably just a bum. Nothing to worry about. I don't think he/she would come back anyways. Just always remember to lock the doors.

If this happens again.

Sleep in the garage with a baseball and pepper spray.

hotjoint 06-29-2009 09:11 AM

probably just a bum, just make sure that everything is properly locked before you go to bed. One time we had an old van parked in our driveway that had not been drivin for a few weeks. My dad left the garage door opener in the van and someone forgot to the lock the van as well. In the middle of the night, someone opened up our garage door and stole some change from my parents car because it was unlocked. They didnt get anything from my car because I always lock my car even when its in the garage. The next morning my dad asked me why I came home so late on weekday, I told him it wasnt me so thats when he figured out that someone else got into the garage by gettin into the van and stealing the garage door opener.

buddy 06-29-2009 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jun Kitami (Post 6484694)
so when you bring the bat, you can tell cops that you were just playing ball XD

i lol'ed ...

Razor Ramon HG 06-29-2009 10:39 PM

Change the locks?

Vansterdam 06-30-2009 07:26 AM

ghost stole ur shoes yo