REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Police Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/police-forum_143/)
-   -   Camping and Liquor (https://www.revscene.net/forums/580804-camping-liquor.html)

rockable 06-28-2009 10:59 AM

Camping and Liquor

Long ago I thought I read more discussion about it, but a search didn't reveal as much as I'd hoped. If you have better search terms please post a link that may help my question.

Where is it possible to enjoy liquor in the publically accessible places of beautiful British Columbia, legally? When wanting to go for a weekend of camping, often people like to pack some beers to enjoy after safely arriving at the destination. Sometimes, at the beginning of forest service roads, for example, there will be a road block. When questioned if there is liquor in the vehicle (safely stored away out of view and unconsumed) I want to be able to truthfully say yes, and consent to a search such as to cooperate and not give the impression I am trying to be confrontational. Officers will often seize/destroy the liquor citing it's not permitted for consumption in the area. Is this on the grounds that they have reasonable and probable cause to suspect the liquor will be consumed in a illegal scenario? Asking if seizure/destroy is possible to avoid by going elsewhere, the answer "no" is often given.

Is there anything more than can be said to avoid having your alcohol destroyed in a remote location away from a liquor store?

I've read this: http://www.hsd.gov.bc.ca/lclb/licensing/laws.htm and it says the following, but lacks a clear definition of "your campsite":
Quote:

Drinking in a public place

In B.C., you are not allowed to drink alcohol in a public place—such as a street or a park—unless it has been specially approved as a place where drinking may occur (during a community festival, for example). You may drink alcohol outside at your home or at your campsite.
Other than that I've read about how to apply to be reimbursed for your seizure, which is all fine, but there are many of us out there that would like to avoid such situations in future when trying to safely enjoy liquor outside of our home or licensed establishment.

zulutango 06-28-2009 01:53 PM

People who take a load of liquor with them in a vehicle down a Forest Service Road are doing so, so it can be consumed...or that is the experience of every Police officer in the country. Why else would you take it there? Also only people of legal age can consume, so if you have lots & lots of booze for yourself ( more than one would assume you could drink yourself ) and a bunch of under aged people with you, there is a great chance you will be supplying liquor to minors. Another consideration for Police. They would be able to seize it under the Liquor Control Act. If you wish to consume in a regular campground then you should ask before you head there if it can be consumed there. The LCA basically permits you drink in a licensed establishment or in your residence. It does not permit you consume it in a public place. The woods are a public place. This tells you where you can have it.

"residence" means

(a) a building or part of it, or a trailer, camper, manufactured home, tent or vessel that is genuinely and actually occupied and used by the owner, lessee or tenant solely as a

(i) private dwelling,

(ii) private guest room in a hotel, motel, auto court, lodging house, boarding house or club, or

(iii) private summer dwelling, or a private dwelling or living place used during vacation periods or a private lodge, or

(b) a building or part of it designated by the general manager in a permit or other document as a private dwelling,

together with the land appurtenant to it that is essential or appropriate for the convenient use, occupation and enjoyment of a private dwelling or private summer dwelling;
Go here for more info..

http://www.bclaws.ca/Recon/document/....xml#section69

Great68 06-28-2009 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raska (Post 6485603)
Long ago I thought I read more discussion about it, but a search didn't reveal as much as I'd hoped. If you have better search terms please post a link that may help my question.

Where is it possible to enjoy liquor in the publically accessible places of beautiful British Columbia, legally? When wanting to go for a weekend of camping, often people like to pack some beers to enjoy after safely arriving at the destination. Sometimes, at the beginning of forest service roads, for example, there will be a road block. When questioned if there is liquor in the vehicle (safely stored away out of view and unconsumed) I want to be able to truthfully say yes, and consent to a search such as to cooperate and not give the impression I am trying to be confrontational. Officers will often seize/destroy the liquor citing it's not permitted for consumption in the area. Is this on the grounds that they have reasonable and probable cause to suspect the liquor will be consumed in a illegal scenario? Asking if seizure/destroy is possible to avoid by going elsewhere, the answer "no" is often given.

Is there anything more than can be said to avoid having your alcohol destroyed in a remote location away from a liquor store?

I've read this: http://www.hsd.gov.bc.ca/lclb/licensing/laws.htm and it says the following, but lacks a clear definition of "your campsite":

Other than that I've read about how to apply to be reimbursed for your seizure, which is all fine, but there are many of us out there that would like to avoid such situations in future when trying to safely enjoy liquor outside of our home or licensed establishment.

All the BC Forest Recreation sites I have been to have been alcohol friendly, where BC parks sites say "No Alcohol" on the sign.

Your "residence" is your tent on the campsite you are "renting/leasing" from the forest service, so that should satisfy the regulation zulutango posted. But just like he said, make sure you don't have any underagers hanging around.

wnderinguy 06-28-2009 09:23 PM

From a BCPARKS littlequalicumfalls.pdf

Quote:

Please take valuables with you when leaving your vehicle or
lock them in a secure location when leaving your campsite.
All losses should be reported to the RCMP and park staff.
Riverbanks can be very slippery. Stay away from cliff and
riverbank edges. Sections of this river contain waterfalls, strong
currents and other hazards. Boating is not recommended.
Jumping from bridges or cliffs is prohibited.
The nearest public telephone is located at the Fair Deal
Tire on Hwy 4 on the way to Parksville.
Alcohol consumption is permitted only within the
boundaries of campsites with registered occupants of legal
age. Excessive noise, loud music, alcohol and parties are
prohibited in the day-use area and campground.

The river is closed to swimming from the upper bridge
down to the park boundary (see map). For safety reasons,
swimming is not recommended in any of the other river
pools. Those wanting to swim should try our Cameron Lake
day-use area located 10 minutes west on the highway.
http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/bcparks/exp...m_brochure.pdf

might want to check for the regs for the site your headed http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/bcparks/

rockable 06-29-2009 10:37 AM

zulutango, you're right it's going down there to be consumed. I understand and sympathize with the potential problems it alleviates by seizing/destroying alcohol, I just find it slightly unfortunate that for those that like to "rough it" more and find their own place to pitch a tent have no way legally of consuming any. Such are the laws here.

Great68 06-29-2009 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raska (Post 6486776)
zulutango, you're right it's going down there to be consumed. I understand and sympathize with the potential problems it alleviates by seizing/destroying alcohol, I just find it slightly unfortunate that for those that like to "rough it" more and find their own place to pitch a tent have no way legally of consuming any. Such are the laws here.

This is BC, our liquor laws are an archaic joke.

skidmark 06-29-2009 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raska (Post 6486776)
I just find it slightly unfortunate that for those that like to "rough it" more and find their own place to pitch a tent have no way legally of consuming any.

That's not what the thread says. If you set up a camp and are legally of age and not supplying to minors, there is no reason that you can't sit there and enjoy a cold beer.

The problem appears to be getting the liquor there in the first place.

xpl0sive 06-30-2009 07:49 AM

so if I'm old enough to drink, have two other buddies in my truck who are old enough to drink, and we have a cooler full of beer while we are going to stave lake to enjoy the Off roaders, why the hell do the cops confiscate by beer? I'm not supplying alcohol to minors, i'm not driving drunk out of my face, i just want a cold beer when i get there...

zulutango 06-30-2009 08:48 AM

That would be a question to ask them if you are stopped in those circumstances.

xpl0sive 06-30-2009 09:01 AM

i'm pretty sure I'm not the only one that has asked cops why they are doing something only to get a response "because thats the law" followed by some kind of a threat of getting arrested. In this case i askked as well, and they said that you cant drink there. When i asked why, they said get going unless you want to get arrested...

skidmark 06-30-2009 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xpl0sive (Post 6488141)
so if I'm old enough to drink, have two other buddies in my truck who are old enough to drink, and we have a cooler full of beer while we are going to stave lake to enjoy the Off roaders, why the hell do the cops confiscate by beer?

The LCLA prohibits the consumption of liquor in a public place, and since I don't see any camping equipment in your list, R&PG exist to believe that the liquor is going to be consumed in public contrary to the LCLA, so that is grounds for the seizure.

Great68 06-30-2009 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xpl0sive (Post 6488141)
so if I'm old enough to drink, have two other buddies in my truck who are old enough to drink, and we have a cooler full of beer while we are going to stave lake to enjoy the Off roaders, why the hell do the cops confiscate by beer? I'm not supplying alcohol to minors, i'm not driving drunk out of my face, i just want a cold beer when i get there...

If I could have a dime every time I saw something stupid happen at Stave lake as a result of alcohol, I'd be a rich man.

rockable 06-30-2009 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skidmark (Post 6486855)
That's not what the thread says. If you set up a camp and are legally of age and not supplying to minors, there is no reason that you can't sit there and enjoy a cold beer.

The problem appears to be getting the liquor there in the first place.

I just wanted clarification on this. If there are definitely not minors involved, and obviously a bunch of camping gear in plain view, even if not going to a provincial camp site, but still on crown land (isn't that defined as public?) it can be legally done? What area then defines the "campsite" in the rules I posted in the first link? I thought "campsite" referred to a (loosely) designated site with a border within a provincially designated camp ground? Is there a more formal source where it is outlined more accessibly online?

johny 07-02-2009 02:58 PM

http://bb.bc4x4.com/showthread.php?t=142839

skidmark 07-02-2009 03:17 PM

Thanks johny, no point in typing it twice, right?