REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Police Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/police-forum_143/)
-   -   3rd brake light cover (https://www.revscene.net/forums/580967-3rd-brake-light-cover.html)

sgenio 06-29-2009 08:42 PM

3rd brake light cover

I'm wondering if it is legal to partially cover the third brake light? I've cut out a TRD logo out of some thin plastic stuff I found laying around in my garage and I'm thinking of mounting it on my brake light so it shines TRD when the brakes are applied. The only problem I see is that this may cause a distraction for the car driving behind.

sho_bc 06-29-2009 10:00 PM

If you think it might be a distraction, does it not then make sense to not do it simply out of consideration for the drivers behind you?

fukkeneh240 06-30-2009 06:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sho_bc (Post 6487647)
If you think it might be a distraction, does it not then make sense to not do it simply out of consideration for the drivers behind you?

if this were true, then none of the riced out cars would exist :haha:

Soundy 06-30-2009 07:08 AM

Well, you're allowed to completely black out the back window (as long as you have both side mirrors), and AFAIK there are no provisos regarding whether that also blacks out a third brake light... so I can't see that partially covering it would be a problem. As far as a "distraction", the whole point of the third brake light is to draw the next driver's attention, so he actually notices that you're stopping...

skidmark 06-30-2009 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sgenio (Post 6487529)
I'm wondering if it is legal to partially cover the third brake light?

Nope, not legal, open invitation to be pulled over and ticketed for obstructed lights.

sgenio 06-30-2009 01:42 PM

I'm not being a dick, but what about 5% tint? cause i'm planning on tinting soon and it will probably cover the 3rd brake light.

xpl0sive 06-30-2009 01:53 PM

you can still see the light when its on through 5%

skidmark 06-30-2009 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sgenio (Post 6488584)
I'm not being a dick, but what about 5% tint?

I didn't think that you were! ANYTHING that reduces the light output of the brake lamp (and any other lamp for that matter), including 5% tint, is not allowed. You can tint the window, you will just have to leave it untinted where the brake lamp is.

stutterr 07-01-2009 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sgenio (Post 6487529)
I'm wondering if it is legal to partially cover the third brake light? I've cut out a TRD logo out of some thin plastic stuff I found laying around in my garage and I'm thinking of mounting it on my brake light so it shines TRD when the brakes are applied. The only problem I see is that this may cause a distraction for the car driving behind.

why would you want to do anything dumb like that to your car anyways? do you even have any TRD parts?

That would look pretty gay if you ask me, especially on your weak tercel. :haha:

nipples 07-05-2009 06:28 PM

on my old car when i had my N sign, it fell into the space where the 3rd light is and i cant get it out. i asked the officers n guys at the dmv about it, and they said "you still have 2 others dont u? it's fine"

sho_bc 07-05-2009 06:33 PM

Its police like that who make it hard for the rest of us to do our job effectively, and who mis-inform the general public about what is legall and what is not legal

nipples 07-05-2009 11:12 PM

^ i should've gotten him to put it in writing, sign it, date it, badge number it. would that ever hold up if i was given a ticket in the future? despite the unlikeliness of him actually writing/signing etc it.

Solo_D33A 07-05-2009 11:20 PM

3rd brake light exist for a reason...

I felt the effectiveness when I drove back to Vancouver in the winter, in the Rockies.
I'm passing cars and semis in the "snow" lane aka left, fresh powder snowed, yet to be snowplowed nor driven lane. After I got to the gas station, I've got about 2-3 INCHES of snow stuck to the rear of the car. The entire trunk, anything from top of bumper to top of trunk is covered, no light getting through. Thank god the 3rd brake light on the OEM wing is not affected.

sho_bc 07-06-2009 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nipples (Post 6495806)
^ i should've gotten him to put it in writing, sign it, date it, badge number it. would that ever hold up if i was given a ticket in the future? despite the unlikeliness of him actually writing/signing etc it.

I can write, sign, give my badge # etc saying that pigs fly and dogs speak english. Doesn't mean its true.

wing_woo 07-06-2009 11:02 AM

I see a lot of 96-98 Civics (don't know why those ones) that have all their brake lights not working except for the high mounted one. I kinda wonder abou these people though...out of the 5 brake lights, only 1 works. I guess they never check on their car to make sure everything's working.

I'm not sure what would happen if you install a spoiler that has a brake light on it. I think if you do, you can get away with covering the one in your back window as the spoiler one replaces it. That's how my Mazda is. If you get the vehicle with a spoiler, they remove the brake light in the window as the spoiler covers it anyways and has the brake light already. They come from the factory that way.

Yay...Twins! 07-07-2009 07:12 AM

the original 3rd brake light has to work. if you get a spoiler with a 3rd brake light you still have to have the original 3rd brake light working