REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > HealthCare & Wellness

HealthCare & Wellness Breaking the Chains of Addiction. The Last Door Recovery Society
Mature discussion surrounding important health issues and concerns. Alternative therapies, healthcare questions, discussion of community resources, peer support help, group therapy, etc.

Old 06-30-2009, 08:49 AM   #1
Retired moderator

Anon Submission: Music addiction/fixation = OCD?

Just wondering if anyone else has this problem/issue/gift.

I can sit for hours and loop the same 1 song. In fact, I can listen to certain songs on repeat for days, weeks, or months without even remotely getting sick of it. This happens quite regularly. In fact, I jump songs so rarely, the playlist of "songs I like" in my mp3 player only has about 15h of music, and this is after 8 years of collecting music.

If I'm bummed out, I loop 1 song continuously for days/weeks. When I'm driving, I can loop it. When I go to work, I'm still looping it. Same with the drive home, while I'm eating, after dinner, when I'm in bed.. Even on weeknights, sometimes I will spend the whole night sitting there looping a song, then go to work the next day.

Not sure if it makes a difference, but I took a ton of piano lessons as a kid, and have perfect absolute pitch. This means I can listen to any song just once and play it exactly on the piano.

Just wondering if this means I have some kind of OCD and if I should get this checked out or something, or if this is actually more "normal" and common than I am led to believe?

girl@revscene.net

girlはラップダンスをしたことがありません
Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 09:16 AM   #2
Zombie Mod

Thanked 5,169 Times in 1,551 Posts
As long as it's not negatively affecting your life, then I don't really see a problem.

I've listened to the same series of tracks on an album for almost a year, when I commuted from Ditchmond to Coquitlam. If I still had that commute, I'd probably be doing the same thing.
Old 06-30-2009, 01:09 PM   #3
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,496 Times in 4,303 Posts
This is normal. I tend to do this as well and have been for many years. However, this came with studying music since I was 12.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 06:36 PM   #4
The "You'd Know" Moderator

I loop the song until I can remember the lyrics and can sing it out loud.

Ezekiel 25:17. The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of the darkness. For he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know I am the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon you.
impactX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 05:20 PM   #5
I keep RS good

Thanked 5,539 Times in 1,502 Posts
is it normal? hah I do that too. I can listen to the top few songs on my playlist for... forever.
Ulic Qel-Droma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 09:39 PM   #6
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

yea same here i think i played a song 24/7 for like a week in summer NON-STOP (i was homesick)
i think its becuase the song makes you happy, gives a kind of euphoria? or it reminds you of happier times
Honyoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 10:48 PM   #7
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 1,107 Times in 271 Posts
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ewun0...e=channel_page

YEAHHH!!!! Loop this shit.
KingDeeCee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 12:07 PM   #8
My homepage has been set to RS

Hmm I guess I'm the only one that gets sick of a song after the 5th continious play. No matter how good the song is....Usually need a few days to recover before I can play the same song again..
Ducdesmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 07:13 AM   #9
Willing to sell a family member for a few minutes on RS

I can listen to a song over and over for the whole day as well. Doesnt mean anything, just means that you like that sontg
hotjoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 11:43 AM   #10
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

I loop a song all the time and sometimes without noticing the song's on repeat. I treat it as a background music and don't really concentrate on it too much. There are times when I realized that I have the same song playing after it being played for 20 minutes. lolz
Unagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 01:46 PM   #11
I don't get it

^

that's pretty much me right there with regards to treating it as background music
I can drive with the radio not tuned to a station so all you hear is static and I'd have no problem because I just treat it as bg noise and focus on other things
E=mc˛ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 04:16 PM   #12
F**K YOUR HEAD

Thanked 8,153 Times in 1,251 Posts
If the song is good enough, playing it over and over shouldn't be a problem
there are a few frank sinatra songs that I can't get enough of.
Although when i'm driving I can't listen to the same song over and over but here in front of the comp i've definitely used the loop button before
ilvtofu is offline   Reply With Quote