REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Fashion & Shopping

Fashion & Shopping Blackmarkers. A Filtered Selection of Clothing, Footwear and Accessories.
Gotta stay fresh! Latest fashion trends, new clothing lines, mega sales events, and awesome deals..

Old 06-22-2012, 03:22 PM   #2226
Wanna have a threesome?

Thanked 5,054 Times in 1,657 Posts
The key to quality mens' clothing is that it's long lasting.

As PJ said, random cheap shirts will fit okay for a few months, but the shape begin to distort within a few months as a result of the poorer quality stitching and materials and in turn be resigned to the back of the closet. Whereas a higher quality shirt, which might cost two or three times the price of the cheap alternative, will have a great fit and maintain it's shape for years; if anything, improving with age. In the short term, it means spending much more and having fewer pieces. In the long term however, you'll have a diverse wardrobe of clothing that feels and looks better for a comparable price to the cheap alternatives because quality lasts. Even a moderate step up to N&F, Momotaro, Rough Territory jeans from Silvers and Diesels will forever change the way you approach fashion. I guarantee, after one pair of N&F denim, you'll be addicted to the feel and look of higher quality construction and materials and never go back to standard mall brands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ View Post
I personally like the Fruit of the Loom blank tees more than H&M blanks.. The H&M ones always seem to shrink funny, at least imo. I picked up a 4-pack of Fruit of the Loom "Euro-fit t-shirts" or something from Walmart in the states for $11. Fits very nicely. Not all wide and boxy like your average cheap blank tee.

All my tees and shoes are relatively cheap.. my tees are mostly blanks from American Apparel or Fruit of the Loom, and my shoes are all various slip-ons.. mostly Vans.
But I do still spend a pretty penny on quality jeans.. so I'm not too sure about the lower end stuff.
Great advice as always, PJ.

Looking great doesn't require every component of your wardrobe to be the best of the best, often times the opposite is true.

A dude could rock a pair Common Project kicks, Iron Heart jeans , a Samurai t-shirt, and a Momotaro button down, and I'm sure he'd look great; the waft of burning money might overpower his cologne though..

For those of us who do not have the budget for a $2000 outfit, there are lots of great inexpensive options. As a side note, I happen to think an outfit with a couple great core pieces and a few budget staples looks much better and certainly not as pretentious.

Instead of Common Projects, leather Vans or a pair of Tom's.
Instead of Iron Hearts, N&F and APC make great denim.
Instead of Samurai, American Apparel or any of the many other inexpensive quality t's.
Instead of Momotaro, N&F or RRL at still respectably high price points, J-crew, H&M, Uniqlo (requires a trip to Americaville) at a much more budget friendly price point, or if you're really cheap and like to shop you can find some great plaid, flannel shirts at thrift stores for next to nothing.

The extra few bucks to get things tailor is almost always worthwhile. Quality of fit trumps all other factors in overall look and feel.

To conclude my exceptionally long and rambling post: if you want to look great there's one secret to keep forefront in your mind, buy clothing you like and don't concern yourself with trends or conforming to a particular style. If you buy clothing you like, all your outfits will look great because a fluid individual sense of style will naturally evolve. More importantly, you'll like the way you look and feel good about yourself. The attractiveness an air of confidence exudes is more effective than any outfit.
Advertisement

Last edited by MindBomber; 06-22-2012 at 04:41 PM.
MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-22-2012, 05:13 PM   #2227
PJ
My name is PJ and I like dogs.

Thanked 1,683 Times in 532 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MindBomber View Post
I guarantee, after one pair of N&F denim, you'll be addicted to the feel and look of higher quality construction and materials and never go back to standard mall brands.
To expand on this, N&F's low prices kind of make it a no brainer. Their prices are what, $100-$200? I've seen them on sale for as low as $75. They'll last waaaay longer than the more expensive Diesels, Sevens, and so on. N&F should be a staple for sure.

I only see 2 reasons why people wouldn't have a pair N&F in their closet.
1. They NEED a logo plastered on the back pocket to show off the brand. (not judging.. to each their own)
2. They're not into raw denim. (which is fair, because raws are slimmer, rougher and aren't exactly for every occasion)

Hello my name is PJ.

Buy/Sell Feedback 1-0-0
PJ is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-22-2012, 05:49 PM   #2228
Wanna have a threesome?

Quote:
To expand on this, N&F's low prices kind of make it a no brainer. Their prices are what, $100-$200? I've seen them on sale for as low as $75. They'll last waaaay longer than the more expensive Diesels, Sevens, and so on. N&F should be a staple for sure.
I've seen Naked and Famous priced between $125-200. Staple 14oz pairs at the lower price point, signature low production runs (red core, pomegranates) and heavier ounce denim (Elephants) between $175-200. Momotaro collaborations are around $250. The 32oz monsters were $495 but those are... wow

On sale locally, they occasionally come up at $75ish but it's pretty uncommon in my personal experience. On styleforum however, I routinely see new pairs for between $75-$100 shipped to Canada.

Quote:
I only see 2 reasons why people wouldn't have a pair N&F in their closet.
1. They NEED a logo plastered on the back pocket to show off the brand. (not judging.. to each their own)
2. They're not into raw denim. (which is fair, because raws are slimmer, rougher and aren't exactly for every occasion)
1. Nudies have a subtle logo on the back pocket, but it's definitely not as bold as TR's.
2. It's totally fair for people to not be into heavy ounce raw denim, they have a very different feel some might not enjoy. To those people there are a few pairs Naked and Famous jeans I would suggest considering: 5oz lightweight painter, 8oz Linen Blend, 10oz lightweight selvedge .

Last edited by MindBomber; 06-22-2012 at 05:55 PM.
Old 06-22-2012, 11:43 PM   #2229
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,275 Times in 434 Posts
And if you think Naked&Famous jeans are still a bit too expensive for you try Unbranded raw denim. It's the same parent company just that it's manufactured in China instead of Canada and doesn't have any logos what so ever (literally unbranded lol).

Thrifting is actually really fun when you find some nice clothing! You never know what you can find at Value Village (gets intense in there during their 50% off days). Do you guys have any good suggestions for some other thrift stores? There are a few on main street but I think they're mostly womens fashion and not mens?

One thing that I like about mens fashion is that most of the "core" items in a mens drawer is a bit seasonless/timeless. Button ups and jeans for example
ForbiddenX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 12:10 AM   #2230
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MindBomber View Post
The key to quality mens' clothing is that it's long lasting.

As PJ said, random cheap shirts will fit okay for a few months, but the shape begin to distort within a few months as a result of the poorer quality stitching and materials and in turn be resigned to the back of the closet. Whereas a higher quality shirt, which might cost two or three times the price of the cheap alternative, will have a great fit and maintain it's shape for years; if anything, improving with age. In the short term, it means spending much more and having fewer pieces. In the long term however, you'll have a diverse wardrobe of clothing that feels and looks better for a comparable price to the cheap alternatives because quality lasts. Even a moderate step up to N&F, Momotaro, Rough Territory jeans from Silvers and Diesels will forever change the way you approach fashion. I guarantee, after one pair of N&F denim, you'll be addicted to the feel and look of higher quality construction and materials and never go back to standard mall brands.

Great advice as always, PJ.

Looking great doesn't require every component of your wardrobe to be the best of the best, often times the opposite is true.

A dude could rock a pair Common Project kicks, Iron Heart jeans , a Samurai t-shirt, and a Momotaro button down, and I'm sure he'd look great; the waft of burning money might overpower his cologne though..

For those of us who do not have the budget for a $2000 outfit, there are lots of great inexpensive options. As a side note, I happen to think an outfit with a couple great core pieces and a few budget staples looks much better and certainly not as pretentious.

Instead of Common Projects, leather Vans or a pair of Tom's.
Instead of Iron Hearts, N&F and APC make great denim.
Instead of Samurai, American Apparel or any of the many other inexpensive quality t's.
Instead of Momotaro, N&F or RRL at still respectably high price points, J-crew, H&M, Uniqlo (requires a trip to Americaville) at a much more budget friendly price point, or if you're really cheap and like to shop you can find some great plaid, flannel shirts at thrift stores for next to nothing.

The extra few bucks to get things tailor is almost always worthwhile. Quality of fit trumps all other factors in overall look and feel.

To conclude my exceptionally long and rambling post: if you want to look great there's one secret to keep forefront in your mind, buy clothing you like and don't concern yourself with trends or conforming to a particular style. If you buy clothing you like, all your outfits will look great because a fluid individual sense of style will naturally evolve. More importantly, you'll like the way you look and feel good about yourself. The attractiveness an air of confidence exudes is more effective than any outfit.
Same with Jeans lol. My Levis from 4 to 5 years ago still looks decent (maybe the color looks a bit faded but other than that it still looks good) While my cheaper Jeans looks like crap after a year or less.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 12:54 AM   #2231
My homepage has been set to RS

i think Zara has some Raw denim too ($79.90), what do u guys think of those? I don't own any raw denim at the moment
blee123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 01:02 AM   #2232
Wanna have a threesome?

Zara generally has decent clothing, but I'm not experienced with the denim line. Like ForbiddenX, I recommend Unbranded as the best option at a price point below N&F.

Definitely in for suggestions on places to thrift in Vancouver.
Old 06-23-2012, 05:57 AM   #2233
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 2,558 Times in 925 Posts
where to find similar jacket like this?

Mike Oxbig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 07:01 AM   #2234
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 4,984 Times in 995 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blee123 View Post
i think Zara has some Raw denim too ($79.90), what do u guys think of those? I don't own any raw denim at the moment
got a pair of black ones a few days ago in hong kong. Looked nice but not into RAW other than the look/colour so i wouldn't know.

just bought some nice skinnies from diesel with a bit of bootcut. Looks so nice on me perfect length too so no hem is needed. 30waist,30 length
Verdasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 04:28 PM   #2235
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,186 Times in 929 Posts
Air Jordan 12 'Obsidian'

JSALES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 08:30 PM   #2236
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

lebron tee and kobe 6's from nike outlet!
chipmunk604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 06:22 PM   #2237
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 2,796 Times in 915 Posts
Old 06-27-2012, 08:17 PM   #2238
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

splurged on a arc'teryx jacket, the alpha SL.

so happy, dying to try it out though
SchoolGlue is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-27-2012, 08:31 PM   #2239
Princess Dewey

super dry cardigan in grey
[05-03, 17:18] MPTness
if her age on the clock, she's too young for a cock

[12-03, 22:33] Amuro Ray
i was wearing women's clothing in my picture

[14-04, 00:16] Amuro Ray
i have hello kitty underwear

[14-04, 00:23] Amuro Ray
i find feet sexually exciting

[29-04, 00:21] Ri2
if i was a guy i'd just ejaculate on her face all up in her nose, mark yo territory like a beast

[14-05, 23:29] Ri2
i just watched japanese girls poop on each other for like 10 mins
smarv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 12:02 AM   #2240
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Thanked 1,036 Times in 276 Posts

got me some of these in the states for 20 bucks
kunoman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-28-2012, 04:03 PM   #2241
Need my Daily Fix of RS

ordered a michael kors watch online a while ago and finally picked it up from point roberts yesterday!

Mochiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 04:54 PM   #2242
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipmunk604 View Post
lebron tee and kobe 6's from nike outlet!
How much was your witness tee?
TRDood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 05:22 PM   #2243
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mochiko View Post
ordered a michael kors watch online a while ago and finally picked it up from point roberts yesterday!

Is that the rose gold one? Looks like it to me
BossFrancis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 01:48 AM   #2244
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchoolGlue View Post

how much was this and from where?
blee123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 02:16 AM   #2245
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchoolGlue View Post

love these fucking jackets. they keep you dry forever!
tweakynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 09:12 PM   #2246
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Quote:
Originally Posted by blee123 View Post
how much was this and from where?
I got it on sale at liveouthere.com for 270ish

I got pretty lucky as most stores and sites are pretty much set to msrp at 340.
SchoolGlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 01:13 AM   #2247
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRDood View Post
How much was your witness tee?
13$ Seattle premium nike outlet and 75$ for the kobes
chipmunk604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 08:56 PM   #2248
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,186 Times in 929 Posts
Nike Air Force 180

JSALES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 09:06 PM   #2249
Need my Daily Fix of RS