REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Food & Fine Dining (https://www.revscene.net/forums/food-fine-dining_33/)
-   -   best store bought salsa? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/581426-best-store-bought-salsa.html)

unit 07-04-2009 10:31 AM

best store bought salsa?

i know homemade tastes 10x better but im lazy and looking for the best store bought stuff that you can get locally. i'd love to hop the border and buy stuff there since its also much better but again im a lazy fuck.

looking for salsa to eat with tortilla chips... something that actually tastes mexican and no mango, pineapple, or any other funky fruit salsas.

!SG 07-04-2009 11:45 AM

when in a pinch, i buy whatever's at costco, and add to it, if i dont have time to make from scratch.

just adding some chopping fresh onions, tomatos, green onions, and cilantro and a squeeze of lime does wonders.

ilvtofu 07-04-2009 04:08 PM

Buy yourself a slap chop and add that stuff to your regular salsa if you're extra lazy

unit 07-04-2009 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by !SG (Post 6493714)
when in a pinch, i buy whatever's at costco, and add to it, if i dont have time to make from scratch.

just adding some chopping fresh onions, tomatos, green onions, and cilantro and a squeeze of lime does wonders.

arent those all the ingredients for salsa? why do you buy costco salsa when you're essentially making salsa from scratch?

Jermyzy 07-04-2009 06:19 PM

I like Mrs. Renfro's Mango Habanero salsa at Save on Foods, but yeah, anybody know where I can buy some fresh salsa?

edit: Apparently you can buy fresh salsa at Que Pasa on No.5 road

Stevie P 07-04-2009 06:49 PM

There's this stuff called "Fresh is Best". Not all places have it, but it's real good.

Senna4ever 07-04-2009 07:49 PM

Que Pasa has good salsa, and it's local.

!SG 07-04-2009 09:54 PM

because salsa needs time to sit together so the ingredients can meld, i guess like marinade.

you dont slap a piece of meat on the grill after u JUST put the marinade on do ya? you let it sit, let the flavours get together.

its not different than saying, buying pasta sauce, and adding to it. nothing wrong with starting off with a premade base, and then building from there.

Quote:

Originally Posted by unit (Post 6494045)
arent those all the ingredients for salsa? why do you buy costco salsa when you're essentially making salsa from scratch?

saucywoman 07-05-2009 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stevie P (Post 6494199)
There's this stuff called "Fresh is Best". Not all places have it, but it's real good.

yes they are good, thankfully they're a local company :D
I know here Safeway and Coopers carry their product so you can always try there.

illcrashandburn 07-05-2009 04:45 PM

+1 for Fresh Is Best.

They have one main location in Kits and a few random grocery stores in the lower mainland carry it. http://www.freshisbest.ca/locations.htm

dhawes 07-05-2009 06:21 PM

theres a mexican place in lonsdale quay that sells fresh salsa I believe

Senna4ever 07-05-2009 11:14 PM

There is also that Mexican place in the Granville Island market that has fresh salsa.

unit 07-06-2009 09:31 AM

i checked out que pasa yesterday, it wasnt bad. they had like 5 different fresh salsas, some bean dip, guacamole, and some other stuff. also tons of hot sauces and bottled salsas. bought some habanero sauce and some salsa fresca. the salsa wasnt bad but wasnt exactly what i was looking for, but cant complain gotta make it yourself if you want it to be exact.
the search continues....

imiaKe 07-20-2009 09:04 PM

the place in north van/lonsdale quay is cilantro & jalepenos

Salsa isnt that bad i admit ... had way better though lol