REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Food & Fine Dining (https://www.revscene.net/forums/food-fine-dining_33/)
-   -   Where are the best sushi places in Greater Vancouver these days?? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/581651-where-best-sushi-places-greater-vancouver-these-days.html)

kristianhay 07-08-2009 12:02 AM

Tantanpopo on Denman has super fast service alongside amazing food and is only 20$ for all you can eat. There's also Richmond Sushi which I found to be quite good.

skyxx 07-08-2009 12:57 AM

I don't agree with you but that's just me.

I find that Toshi and Shiro are pretty good. Sushi garden is alright.

Supafly 07-08-2009 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inaii (Post 6497626)
Has anyone tried Nagano Sushi in Newport Village?

Used to be good, now the portions are even smaller (small to begin with)...and the quality has suffered with the economic downturn...

I used to go there often, but now its full of heritage fags that think they're somekind of gangsters that fill the place with rude attitudes and obnoxious swear words...not a good place anymore.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Girl (Post 6498643)
I only recall a Nagano next to Coquitlam Center....

Yes theres another one too. ;)
This place is okay at best...only go there for a quick fix...nothing to brag about.:)

Gumby 07-08-2009 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bcrdukes (Post 6498999)
Word on the street is that they used to be pretty generous with their portions but slowly cut back on that.

I've always been a satisfied customer of theirs so I personally have no complaints otherwise.

Hmm, I've been going to Maruwa probably 5-6 times per year over the past 6 years and you're right, I think their portions have decreased slightly. Something a bit more obvious is that they've also raised some of their prices...

Volvoman 07-08-2009 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unit (Post 6498914)
i second this for value. cheaper and better than most

Third

Karaage Bento for $7 ftw

Expresso 07-08-2009 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gumby (Post 6499399)
Hmm, I've been going to Maruwa probably 5-6 times per year over the past 6 years and you're right, I think their portions have decreased slightly. Something a bit more obvious is that they've also raised some of their prices...

yea their cuts of sashimi have shrunk. but i miss the hamachi toro

shenmecar 07-08-2009 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kristianhay (Post 6499018)
Tantanpopo on Denman has super fast service alongside amazing food and is only 20$ for all you can eat. There's also Richmond Sushi which I found to be quite good.

richmond sushi is expensive

Meowjin 07-08-2009 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RFlush (Post 6497307)
This thread will be full of fail.

this

Meowjin 07-08-2009 12:43 PM

osaka today.

kristianhay 07-08-2009 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shenmecar (Post 6499562)
richmond sushi is expensive

Naw, latenight all you can eat is mad cheap.

Culture_Vulture 07-08-2009 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TekDragon (Post 6498985)
See, I think it's good. Now, I'm scared to try more expensive sushi so that I don't spoil the illusion that I know what good sushi is (and it's cheaper for me that way). But, I guess I'll have to break down and try Hanako soon then.

well it's not expensive expensive,

but it does cost more than your average sushi joint

Mugen EvOlutioN 07-08-2009 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sas (Post 6498123)
ebisu has crappy sushi compared to Hanako. ebisu reminds me of sushi garden quality.

Hanako Good and not expensive.
Sushi town Very Bad
Sushi Garden Very Bad
Toshi Average
Octopus Garden Good
Sushi Hachi Good

Most of the above are not too$$ but don't expect acye prices. The difference in quality is night and day. I really don't understand how people (a lot of people including my retarded friends) can eat at Sushi garden and think it is good. Their rolls, sushi and sashimi portions are ridiculous.

Are you kidding me? Hanako is like fucking expensive. deluxe sushi on rice is like $18.99 (not that big). Their room set up is like a 5 years bedroom style, cheap walls, cheap seats. their stuff are fresh, but small portions with above average price tag. Its a good eat if you dont mind the shitty home style cheap atmosphere, and u just want some fresh fish

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amuse (Post 6498786)
How are the prices for fuji sushi?

fair, thats all im gonna say. used to work there couple years ago. owner and su-chef are authentic jap. place is quite clean, has expectations when it comes to cleanness in the kitchen.

You guys have to realize there are jdm sushi and korean sushi. Korean sushi gives you large pieces, larger than the rice. But usually low quality farmed FAT salmon and shit.

Authentic jdm places gives you a normal 1:1 size proportion sushi, with fairly decent fish on top of the rice.

Gt-R R34 07-08-2009 03:16 PM

Sushi Hachi in richmond -

Awesome - but expensive.

Sakae in DT? (dont' remember if they are closed or not.)

Durrann1984 07-08-2009 04:56 PM

Sake Maki Japanese on commercial

achiam 07-08-2009 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Supafly (Post 6499269)
Used to be good, now the portions are even smaller (small to begin with)...and the quality has suffered with the economic downturn...

I used to go there often, but now its full of heritage fags that think they're somekind of gangsters that fill the place with rude attitudes and obnoxious swear words...not a good place anymore.

Yes theres another one too. ;)
This place is okay at best...only go there for a quick fix...nothing to brag about.:)

What on earth is a "heritage fag?"

luxurysuvs 07-21-2009 12:12 AM

Any really good Sushi places downtown Van

mr_piggy 07-21-2009 05:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alphamale (Post 6497430)
^Wait..when was Ebisu gourmet?

Haha they're from Surrey :haha:

As for the DT sushi question, I like Okada Sushi oldschool ftw! :D

achiam 07-21-2009 05:54 AM

heh ya sorry guys
i won't be leaving vancouver/richmond to eat as it'll be too far away for me!
I was thinking of places to eat right after running at stanley park or doing the grouse grind!
thanx for the suggestions tho!

beatdownvictim 07-21-2009 01:00 PM

Sushi Hachi - probably my favorite place / fresh fish, awesome eel!
Kura - By metrotown, beside Bubble World - damn good tuna.
Ichiro - In Steveston, good food, good price

all these are japanese run joints.

If i was going to go to one of those restaurants, i'd pick Sushi Hachi in Richmond.

skyxx 07-21-2009 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by achiam (Post 6516318)
heh ya sorry guys
i won't be leaving vancouver/richmond to eat as it'll be too far away for me!
I was thinking of places to eat right after running at stanley park or doing the grouse grind!
thanx for the suggestions tho!

Anything will taste good after you do the grouse grind. :D

Senna4ever 07-22-2009 12:57 AM

- Shiro
- Hiroshi
- Yuji <---- I'm not there anymore, so they've probably gone downhill. :p Just kidding.

Blinky 07-22-2009 11:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gt-R R34 (Post 6499820)
Sakae in DT? (dont' remember if they are closed or not.)

Yeah. They're closed :(

Aki in the same basement as Sakae isn't bad either.

But back to the topic: best value sushi and best sushi are very different criteria. AYCE = instafail.

Armind 07-22-2009 11:59 PM

Whats the best of the best sushi we got here? I got some relatives from the states and they want the best we got but also food thats worth paying for.. help please?

Meowjin 07-23-2009 03:18 AM

sushi hachi for sushi

ichiro like earlier mentioned for japanese dishes

guu for sake? lol

unit 07-23-2009 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Armind (Post 6518703)
Whats the best of the best sushi we got here? I got some relatives from the states and they want the best we got but also food thats worth paying for.. help please?

seto in richmond is probably about the best we got for non-tojo prices.