REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 07-06-2009, 08:00 PM   #1
SFICC-05*

Cop "confiscates" bikers helmet, biker crashes and dies (Oliver, BC)

Quote:
Police had victim’s helmet
Special to The Daily Courier
2009-06-29

OLIVER – RCMP admit confiscating the motorcycle helmet of an Oliver man prior to a June 13 crash that claimed his life.

Robert Charles Mitchell, 41, died in hospital after his motorbike crashed into the rear of a pickup truck in Oliver at about 2:30 a.m. He wasn‘t wearing a helmet.

Police have now corrected an earlier statement given to a local reporter denying they confiscated Mitchell‘s helmet prior that night.

An RCMP news release said that statement was made after only a partial review of the police file on the incident.

“Although police did not have any direct contact with Mr. Mitchell on June 13 prior to the collision, an on-duty Oliver RCMP officer had earlier removed and held two helmets from the unattended motorcycles while they were parked in Oliver, some time prior to the collision,” it read.

An RCMP member had earlier spotted what was believed to be the same two motorcycles being driven erratically in the Oliver area. When found parked, the officer recognized the machines as being owned by persons he knew.

“The officer waited by the motorcycles for the owners to return and departed after leaving a note on the motorcycle advising the registered owner to call the officer in order to retrieve the helmets,” the release said. “The officer did not receive any phone inquiries regarding the helmets.”

RCMP said the officer‘s primary intention of removing and holding the helmets was to prevent the possible theft of the helmets, in addition to preventing further offences.

The same officer later attended to the collision less than a block away from where the motorcycles had been parked.

The officer was accompanied by a volunteer auxiliary constable employed by the B.C. Ambulance Service and first aid was administered to Mitchell. The man was later transferred to Kelowna General Hospital where he died.
http://www.kelownadailycourier.ca/st....php?id=195503

More links:
http://www.bclocalnews.com/news/49433982.html
http://www.oliverchronicle.com/frontpage.htm

Apparently the police originally lied about the incident as well.
Advertisement
chun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 08:03 PM   #2
Banned (ABWS)

shouldnt have rode the bike with no helmet
azzurro32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 08:10 PM   #3
HELP ME PLS!!!

from what I read the biker was pissed drunk both before and after the helment was removed.
johny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 09:29 PM   #4
DOES HE LOOK LIKE A BITCH?

Thanked 2,571 Times in 689 Posts
lol
Culture_Vulture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 03:47 AM   #5
Rs has made me the man i am today!

At least the helmet was spared from being damaged in the collision...

Roll That Shit, Light That Shit, Smoke That Shit!

Quote:
(told to me by the stupidest person in the world)...
'Yeah, i've been to taco time before, but i got in trouble...I had a Mexican girlfriend who wanted to go to a mexican restaurant for our anniversery, so i took her to Taco Time"
91LS-VTak is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-07-2009, 06:46 AM   #6
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

Lol, he took the helmets, jesus. Tow the bloody bike.
BoostCreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 06:52 AM   #7
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

This is pretty concerning on the part of what the cops did there, but it doesn't say the man died of a head injury. The second article alleges he may have hit that truck at about 100km/h. He likely had all kinds of other problems that a helmet wouldn't have stopped.
Old 07-07-2009, 08:12 AM   #8
racing & tech mod.

I don't think taking the helmet was the right thing to do, but I have a sneaking suspision that the death of the biker didn't make the world a worse place to live in.
Rich Sandor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 08:49 AM   #9
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 2,420 Times in 669 Posts
the hell...?!
shenmecar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 08:56 AM   #10
Banned (ABWS)

Poor decision by the cop, but its not like he left a note on the bike saying 'Ride your bike to so and so to pick up your helmet'.

Can't really blame anyone but the rider on this one.
azzurro32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 09:28 AM   #11
Willing to sell a family member for a few minutes on RS

wow unfortunate but still the riders fault
hotjoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 10:10 AM   #12
The RS Freebie guru

Thanked 2,491 Times in 860 Posts
Quote:
RCMP said the officer‘s primary intention of removing and holding the helmets was to prevent the possible theft of the helmets
LoL, I'm sure... I guess the cops should take every single item left attended, just in case!
InvisibleSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 10:14 AM   #13
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 1,314 Times in 540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by InvisibleSoul View Post
LoL, I'm sure... I guess the cops should take every single item left attended, just in case!
You mean "unattended"?

And why not. It was a simple act of kindness since the article states they knew each other. Kind of like locking a someone else's car door which you find open to prevent theft. The police officer couldn't have had the foresight to know that the biker would be drunk out of his mind to read a note, nor to realize his helmet was gone to begin with.

Of course, this is based on the allegation that the biker was that drunk.
Noir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 10:23 AM   #14
Official Texas Ambassador

Thanked 5,671 Times in 1,324 Posts
The guy should've known better than to get on a bike without a helmet. Drunk or not.
El Bastardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 11:06 AM   #15
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Bastardo View Post
The guy should've known better than to get on a bike without a helmet. Drunk or not.

Thats the end point no if's and's or but's.
Not the cops fault.
Rogue951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 11:23 AM   #16
Banned (ABWS)

Tow the bikes! Why the fuck would the cop have taken the helmets, that cant be protocol. What did she expect would happen, the guys still need to get thier bikes home.
Adsdeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 11:26 AM   #17
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adsdeman View Post
Tow the bikes! Why the fuck would the cop have taken the helmets, that cant be protocol. What did she expect would happen, the guys still need to get thier bikes home.
Small town, he wanted to talk to the rider towing the bike doesn't accomplish this. Giving a drunk a ride home isn't protocol either but sometimes they do it in lieu of tossing people in the drunk tank over night to be nice.

I don't see a problem at all. It's not like he took his helmet, pointed his gun at him and told him to ride like he's never rode before.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I don´t care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. That´s how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 07:16 PM   #18

No ones fault except the rider. Sure the cop had a part in it by taking the helmet. But in the end the decision was up to the rider.
Would have been a little bit differnt if the rider that got hit, but the rider was the one that hit the truck. To that, i give this rider a
maxxxboost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 07:54 PM   #19

Why the FU-- would the cop tamper with safety devices like that

To me that's like reaching into a convertible and disconnecting the airbag lol, or removing seatbelts and the windshield to try and force someone to call in. Sounds ridiculous but that's basically the same thing. Why not just tow the bike?

But yeah drinking + riding without a helmet = no one to blame but the rider.

REVscene.net - Vancouver's #1 Automotive Forum and Classified's Site!

Interested in advertising with REVSCENE? Join our roster of Brian Jessel BMW, EBISU Robson, Blitz Gear, Soundworks, and dozens of the Lower Mainlands BUSIEST and most SUCCESSFUL small and medium businesses! Let us take you to the next level with our Incredibly affordable and effective packages Advertisement@revscene.net
CanadaGoose is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-07-2009, 08:02 PM   #20
The "You'd Know" Moderator

It's a small town, and in small towns, everyone knows everyone and the police would try to take care of the people so the people would take care of them if they needed help.

Ezekiel 25:17. The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of the darkness. For he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know I am the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon you.
impactX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 08:30 PM   #21

Thanked 3,186 Times in 929 Posts
rider shouldn't have rode, safety first
JSALES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 09:16 PM   #22
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Shoulda tazed him instead.
Old 07-08-2009, 10:51 AM   #23
Banned (ABWS)

The actual truth was...
The cop knew the guy who died, but they weren't friends. He took away their helmets just so that he can ticket him as soon as he rides w/o the helmet. This is why he was campng less than a block away. LESS THAN A BLOCK AWAY, that is WITHIN eyesight!!!
Haven't you seen cops camp in their cars near lounges and pulls people over as soon as they leave the parking lot?
s2k_604 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-08-2009, 11:01 AM   #24
Banned By Establishment

thats what you get for fuckin around with the police. lesson learned, dont fuck with the police or you could get your helmet taken away.

rest in peace.
BNR32_Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 06:14 PM   #25
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,381 Times in 3,907 Posts
wow.... what dumb decisions to make.... taking a helmet away and drunk driving
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: